HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 4:41 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
It's all fenced off and the posted permits say 3 months. Seems a bit quick to me, but we'll see. The rendering doesn't show it, but I have to assume they are redoing the smaller annex building along Hawthorne too. They've already ripped off the skin on the structure that connects it to the main building.
Here's what I'm talking about:

The smaller annex building is to the right. This photo reminds me of something else I noticed yesterday. The most redeeming quality of the exterior of this building is the marble work you see in the foreground. It's very nice and unfortunately covered in grafitti, as you see here. I hope they will salvage it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 1:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Eric at the Transbay Blog has some nice shots and brief commentary on the new towers. He's got some unique angles.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Eric at the Transbay Blog has some nice shots and brief commentary on the new towers. He's got some unique angles.
peanut gallery, your comment in this link you just gave...
Quote:
Nice shots. I agree with you on these new buildings. I can’t quite decide which I like best: Infinity, Millennium or 555 Market. They all appeal to me in different ways. I say bring us more of those!
...is almost the same as I feel. I might also add One Rincon Hill to that list, but I'm still waiting for the second tower to go up first. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 7:09 AM

New City Planner's Baggage Exposed

From today's Bay Area Reporter:
Quote:
City's top planner's partner arrested
Published 02/28/2008
by Seth Hemmelgarn

The partner of San Francisco's openly gay planning department director appeared in court Wednesday, February 26 after allegedly starting a fire and trashing the city's historic fire chief's house where the couple had been staying.

Lance Corey Farber, 47, dressed in orange jail garb, pled not guilty to charges of arson of an inhabited dwelling, arson of property, and vandalism of $400 or more, all felonies. He also pled not guilty to a charge of violation of a court order.

Both Connie Chan, a public information officer in District Attorney Kamala Harris's office, and Randall Knox, Farber's attorney, said they didn't know what the possible sentence for the charges could be.

Farber's felony bail was set at $1 million. Knox told reporters outside the courtroom the amount is "excessive" and said he will try to get it reduced at Farber's next court appearance, which is Friday, February 29.

Knox said Farber doesn't have a criminal history. He said Farber is suffering from severe headaches and he wants him to be physically examined.

The charges stem from an incident - first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle - that occurred the evening of Friday, February 22. Farber, the partner of Planning Department Director John Rahaim, 52, allegedly set fire to a mattress and made a mess of the house at 870 Bush Street, where the couple was staying until they found permanent housing, the newspaper reported.

The court order was an emergency protection order that Farber allegedly violated by contacting Rahaim from custody, Chan said. Knox said the alleged call wasn't a threat.

Rahaim started the job in January after moving from Seattle. He had told the Bay Area Reporter in September that he and Farber had been together about four years.

In response to a reporter's question outside court if the two men had quarreled, Knox said that would be an "accurate assessment."

In an e-mail response to questions, San Francisco Police Department Spokesman Sergeant Steve Mannina said police could not comment on what prompted Farber to allegedly trash the city-owned residence.

"I can't speculate on why Farber did this," wrote Mannina.

Rahaim did not respond to a phone message. He is expected to appear before the city's Planning Commission at its meeting today (Thursday, February 28).

Farber was arrested in San Mateo County shortly after the incident was reported for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

Citing Mannina as the source, the Chronicle reported that Rahaim was not at the house when Farber called him and reportedly said, "I'm going to burn the house." Rahaim called 911, the paper reported.

Nathan Ballard, spokesman for Mayor Gavin Newsom, told the B.A.R. Tuesday, February 26 that Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White has asked that the city no longer invite officials to stay in the house. Newsom will respect her wishes, Ballard said.

Ballard also said Supervisor Chris Daly is asking the city attorney to investigate the incident.

"It comes as no surprise that Chris Daly is trying to exploit this private matter in order to score a few cheap political points," Ballard said.

Daly could not be reached for comment by press time.

When asked where Rahaim is now residing, Ballard said he wanted to protect the planning director's privacy and declined to disclose where he is living.

"My understanding is he's taken just a couple days off," Ballard said. "The mayor supports him 100 percent."

Ballard added that "by all accounts [Rahaim] is doing a terrific job."

Ballard said the amount of damages or who would pay for them isn't yet clear. After the police department conducts a "full and fair investigation ... we'll be able to look at how the damages should be paid for," Ballard said.

[Updated: At the Planning Commission's regular meeting on Thursday, February 28, Rahaim thanked commission and staff members for their support over the last week regarding "some personal challenges."

"I'm very grateful for that," he said.

Arriving a few minutes late for the slow-starting meeting, Rahaim declined to comment to the B.A.R. on the case.

Inside the meeting, Rahaim appeared relaxed and fully engaged in business. At one point, as Rahaim mentioned plans to meet with someone on business, one commissioner joked, "No need to give him any Muni service." This was an apparent reference to the city allowing officials like Rahaim to stay in the fire chief's house. Rahaim smiled broadly and appeared to laugh.]

Press reports Wednesday quoted Fire Department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge pegging the cost of repairing the house at $30,000. Farber's attorney told the San Francisco Examiner that his client would cover the charges.

"The taxpayers are not going to foot the bill for this incident," Knox told the paper, adding that, "the only item that burned was a mattress that John Rahaim and Lance Farber brought with them from Seattle."

Lieutenant Marc Alcantara, press information officer for the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office, said Farber was stopped on Millbrae Avenue near Highway 101 Friday at about 9:12 p.m. and arrested after he was determined to be driving under the influence of alcohol.

Farber was booked into the Maguire Correctional Facility in Redwood City at 11:25 p.m. and released at about 2:13 a.m. the next day with a promise to appear in court, Alcantara said. He said Farber is due to be arraigned in South San Francisco on March 24 in relation to the DUI arrest.

On a Web site that was copyrighted in 2003, Farber, who Rahaim had said was a holistic chiropractor and nutritionist, referred to himself as a doctor and listed numerous credentials.

He also stated, "I am committed to improving the quality of people's lives, healing the planet."

In a letter to fire commissioners dated Monday, February 25, that was copied to the fire chief and the Department of Real Estate, openly gay Supervisor Bevan Dufty wrote, "It appears that the use of the Fire Chief's Residence ... as temporary housing for City employees is not optimal."

Dufty, who left Tuesday on a sister-city trip to Sydney, Australia and turned 53 Wednesday, wrote that he hopes the commission and Hayes-White "might consider new policies and possible new public usage" when the building's not being used as the fire chief's residence that "could include discussions with the Real Estate Department to solicit interest from nonprofits that would like to partner with the City to restore this historic structure."

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 7:16 AM
Only Mostly Dead

My pleasure, SFView.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 2:00 PM
BANNED

875 Howard

Quote:
Hearst Corp. adds news to development plan

Will San Francisco Chronicle copy editors end up replacing the African penguins at 875 Howard St.?

Hearst Corp. is zeroing in on picking a developer for its 3.9-acre Mid-Market property, according to Chronicle spokesman Henry Ford, who said "we are hoping to have a decision soon." While Hearst is keeping a tight lid on the selection process, a key criteria has been a stipulation that the winning team create a new home for the Chronicle's editorial and corporate offices. Ford said that the winning team could choose to incorporate the existing Chronicle facility into a new design -- as Hearst did with its headquarters in New York -- or move them to another building. "Everything is on the table," he said.

That is where TMG may have an advantage. TMG and Flynn Properties own 875-899 Howard St., which is right around the corner from the Chronicle's current headquarters at 901 Mission St. While the 150,000-square-foot Howard Street building now houses the California Academy of Sciences, that will no longer be the case when the academy moves back into Golden Gate Park in September. The academy's lease expires in 2009.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...wscolumn1.html

I'm posting the above, but I don't understand it. Who is it saying owns 875 Howard? Hearst or TMG? And which "existing Chronicle facility" are they talking about? The one at 5th and Mission? And which property is Hearst redeveloping? I recall we've seen concepts for a tower at the present Chronicle site--is that what they are talking about?

Last edited by BTinSF; Mar 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 4:32 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I don't know, BT. That's a very confusing article. Where's it from?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 4:34 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The new skyline -- this evening, from east of Alcatraz:

Zooming in on the new stuff:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't know, BT. That's a very confusing article. Where's it from?
Oops. I forgot the citation. It's from the SF Business Times.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 11:12 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
555 Washington (next to the TransAmerica):

Not a render but a footprint (and a very interesting one) of a proposed 38-story residential tower with 250+ units:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/
All the articles written about this mention it will go in the vacant lot next to the Pyramid. But looking at the diagram above, you can see that the lot is only about one third the footprint required for this proposal. They will need to demo the building at Sansome and Washington (I think it's 545 Sansome). This is no great loss, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Heck, it's a nice benefit of the project.

I also found it interesting that they will number this 555 Washington rather than 545 Sansome. Do you suppose this is because Sansome sounds more FiDi and Washingon sounds more North Beach? It is residential afterall.

Anyway, this should really enhance the Redwood Garden by not only opening it up full time and adding more people to the area outside working hours, but by building a better building at that corner that doesn't turn its back like the current one does.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 1:43 AM

What are the two buildings u/c in the background of this pic from flickr:
one of them is covered by a black tarp and has a blue crane and the other has a yellow crane?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 6:46 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I'm going to guess that those are both along Van Ness and the one with the black-covered scaffolding is Symphony. But I haven't been over that way in a while, so I can't be sure.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
What are the two buildings u/c in the background of this pic from flickr:
one of them is covered by a black tarp and has a blue crane and the other has a yellow crane?

I'm fairly certain the "black tarp" is 818 Van Ness:

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...t_818_van.html

The yellow crane may be the building going up on Eddy between Larkin and Polk (it's affordable housing by one of the non-profit developers).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:45 AM
BANNED

Would one of you guys presently in "The City" please keep an eye on the southwest corner of Golden Gate & Polk for me. I believe demolition of the old state building there is supposed to begin this month to be followed by construction of the the new "ultra-green" offices for the PUC: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...16/story1.html

There's a rendering here somewhere but you can also see it here: http://www.kmdarchitects.com/KmdArchitects.html (look under "our work"-->civic-->P.U.C Building

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that one. I can swing by when I make the trek down to Trinity, which I do every few weeks. Perhaps it should have it's own thread in General Developments?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Perhaps it should have it's own thread in General Developments?
When there's some sign of work being done (which YOU can supply, I hope).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Jewish Museum arrives

Quote:
Friday, March 7, 2008
Jewish Museum arrives
Artful addition expected to draw 150,000 visitors
San Francisco Business Times - by Sarah Duxbury

Major construction on the $47.5 million Contemporary Jewish Museum is complete, and now come the finishing touches and installation to prepare for opening day on June 8.

With the museum's completion, the Redevelopment Agency is close to closing the books on the Yerba Buena Redevelopment Area.

The Contemporary Jewish Museum has been around for more than 20 years, but the organization will undergo a virtual recreation as it grows its staff, budget, programming and ambitions to fill a 63,000-square-foot new home designed by internationally-renowned architect Daniel Liebeskind.

Its first year, the museum hopes to welcome between 150,000 and 175,000 visitors, but Executive Director Connie Wolf said she expects attendance in future years to stabilize between 115,000 and 125,000 visitors.

Wolf has yet to finalize an operating budget, but she said it will be several million dollars more than the $2 million it took to run a much smaller museum on Steuart Street. The staff will grow from about a dozen full-time employees to 35, most of whom are already hired, Wolf said, and she expects to triple membership in the first year to 4,500 members.

To support that growth, the museum, led by board member Roselyne Swig, is in the final stages of an $80 million capital campaign that, in addition to funding construction, will also cover ramp-up costs, contingency and reserve funds, and includes $25 million for the endowment.

"The financial effort has been satisfying," Swig said, "The people who have supported the campaign are broad-based, young and old alike, so that makes us feel very good."

Wolf won't disclose how much the museum has raised to date for fear of discouraging new donations, but the museum had raised $60.5 million by July 2006. It has also logged 27 donations over $1 million, putting it on track to exceed its $80 million goal. Any extra funds will further secure the museum's future by growing its endowment.

Cartoonist exhibition on tap

The new museum has three different program spaces, all of which have been designed to be flexible because the museum doesn't have a permanent collection.

The first floor gallery has a cement floor and a wall of windows that open onto Yerba Buena Lane. Its inaugural exhibition, "From the New Yorker to Shrek: The Art of William Steig," will be the sole West Coast showing of an exhibition created by the Jewish Museum in New York. It will be followed an Andy Warhol exhibit.

A long, 7,000-square-foot, sky-lit gallery on the second floor will be the museum's main presentation space, and the museum has commissioned seven artists to create works for an exhibition entitled for "In the Beginning: Artists Respond to Genesis."

The 'Yud' is a dynamic space inside Liebeskind's iconic blue cube, whose stark, diagonal walls are punctuated by 36 windows that represent a double "L'Chaim," Hebrew for "To Life," and a lucky number in Jewish culture. A sound installation entitled "John Zorn Presents the Aleph-Bet Project" has been commissioned to inaugurate this space.

Some 20,000 square feet of the museum were donated by Millennium Partners and are built into the Four Seasons Hotel.

There are also display cases in the educational wing, and the education program will start in earnest in the fall. A ground-floor multipurpose room has retractable seating for 250.

In the late spring CJM will start a paid teen docent program, and it will stand out from other museums thanks to a one-year pilot program to offer free admission for anyone under 18. General admission is $8.

Target will sponsor a free community day on June 8. It is just one on an enviable roster of corporate sponsors, many of whom, including PG&E, BNY Mellon Wealth Management, Hermès and Boucheron are first-time supporters of the organization.

A café will occupy the front of the structure and on nice days will spill out onto the Plaza.

Growth of Yerba Buena area

These are heady times for the museum's management and closest supporters, but the museum opening is equally significant for San Francisco.

"With our opening, we'll also open Jessie Plaza -- a location in Yerba Buena that was not developed and was something of an eyesore for many years. We really finish that northern part of the Yerba Buena district," Wolf said.

The Redevelopment Agency will spend $6 million to complete Jessie Plaza, which will be like an extension of Yerba Buena Gardens.

"This whole area will come alive with Yerba Buena Lane and all the stores and restaurants," Wolf said. "There's going to be a vibrancy on this block that wasn't there."

Her neighbors agree.

"We can hardly wait," said Jennifer McCabe, director of the Museum of Craft and Folk Art which sits halfway down Yerba Buena Lane. "We've been here two years and patiently awaiting all the new spaces to open and people to become more familiar with what the lane is and where it is and the construction to be over."

While all but one space on the lane is leased, none of the restaurants is yet open, so the lane hasn't lived up to its promise to become a destination.

"The Contemporary Jewish Museum will bring the most traffic by far," McCabe said.

It also, presumably, will bring art lovers, which will be a boon to her museum.

Ongoing museum boom

San Francisco has seen something of a museum renaissance in recent years, particularly of new construction, and the Jewish Museum isn't the end of it.

"It's obviously a beautiful and meaningful project in itself, but it's also another piece in the major development of Yerba Buena as the cultural center of San Francisco," said Amy Neches, senior project manager at the Redevelopment Agency. "Physically, it also helps create that connection we want from Market through to Mission and into Yerba Buena Gardens and South of Market."

The Redevelopment Agency donated the Jessie Street Powerstation to the Jewish Museum, much as it has given millions of dollars in donated land, building costs and direct investments to the other cultural institutions it slated for the area.

Not all have succeeded. The Mexican Museum is practically disbanded. It has a collection, but must rebuild its leadership and regain the trust of donors if it is to move forward with its museum plans.

Museum of the African Diaspora opened to much fanfare in the St. Regis Hotel in late 2005, but has since faltered. It raised $6 million to open, but found it hard to cover operating costs. Last fall, the Redevelopment Agency committed $1 million more to help it find its footing
, much as it reinvested in Zeum when that new arts organization stumbled in its infancy.

The Jewish Museum hopes it has dodged the fate of those museums by raising operating and endowment money at the same time it has its hand out for construction costs.

The Redevelopment Agency is scheduled to finish the Yerba Buena area by 2010.

The failure to start construction of the long-planned Mexican Museum is "the big unfinished piece at this point," Neches said, but she hopes that project, too, will be well under way by 2010.

sduxbury@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4963
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...10/story1.html

Mexican Museum underway by 2010. Hmmm. Since the latest version of that project involves rebuilding and enlarging--probably with additional height-- the building on the corner of 3rd & Mission and putting the museum in a ground floor space, I wonder if this means that project will be underway by 2010.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 3:39 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Today at One Kearny:

This looks like the base of the core (assuming there is a core on an addition like this):

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 5:27 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Since the latest version of that project involves rebuilding and enlarging--probably with additional height-- the building on the corner of 3rd & Mission and putting the museum in a ground floor space
Was that the plan? I thought they were going to build a new building on the lot between the building on the corner and the church. Or is the idea to both use that lot and incorporate the building on the corner?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 4:07 PM

I got these off a power point presentation via http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp?id=42414

Does anyone know what's going on with the Executive Park Area?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations