HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Tower at PNC Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
WAY into this updated design. Yow!

I really hope the final design looks more like this one than the first rendering too. This is very similar to the style of eco-modernism that I am really into.

Here are some of my favorite projects from around the world right now.

The Leaf - London

20 Fenchurch - London

Main Place Tower - Houston

Encana - Calgary

Elephant St Tower - London

Zlota 44 - Warsaw

New Orleans - Jefferson Plaza

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 9:02 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

By the way, if all the skyscrapers I just posted above were built in Pittsburgh, we would have like the most badass skyline in the world for awhile... Just need like 10 billion bucks to pull that off... :|

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 9:25 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
By the way, if all the skyscrapers I just posted above were built in Pittsburgh, we would have like the most badass skyline in the world for awhile... Just need like 10 billion bucks to pull that off... :|
Not to mention a crippling glut of office space...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 10:06 PM

We need to get the thread header updated to 33 floors. What it lacks in height it makes up for in uniqueness. I think this is going to be an awesome looking structure.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
We need to get the thread header updated to 33 floors. What it lacks in height it makes up for in uniqueness. I think this is going to be an awesome looking structure.
I don't think that the reduced number of floors is going to affect the height very much, these articles keep mentioning that a large section at the top is going to be used for mechanical purposes helping the building exceed LEED standards. I'm pretty sure this is going to keep the overall height of the building above 600 feet.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:53 PM

Bear in mind that Singapore is building a 45-story office tower that is 804 feet tall. And no, it does not have a spire.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 10:01 PM

The building will probably be a little under 600 ft. It's just a guess from me and others though. The main point of my last comment was simply to get the thread title accurate. I suppose a moderator needs contacted. I know there is a thread to request changes in a building's status but not sure if this is a legitimate use of that thread or if there is a more relevant thread to make this request.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 2:22 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Pittsburg is one of those skylines that doesn't need tall buildings and density to impress. It's already impressive. If EVERY skyline in the world was like that, then we would say boo hoo.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:12 PM

PNC wants new tower to inspire

Interaction will be primary feature, along with solar chimney and glass skin

Wednesday, December 14, 2011
By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PNC Financial Services Group is hoping that its new $400 million skyscraper Downtown will not only serve as a classy headquarters for some 3,000 employees but will be a "piece of architecture that stimulates and inspires" generations of Pittsburghers.

The 33-story building, to be built on Wood Street between Fifth and Forbes avenues, will feature a so-called "solar chimney" that will help to cool the structure, casual workplaces known as "sky gardens" and a glass skin so transparent that pedestrians will have no trouble seeing what's going on inside.......

Entire article can be found at:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11348/1196640-28.stm

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:44 AM

The known height of One PNC (424 feet) can be used to estimate the height of the new tower.

Eliminating vertical foreshortening and measuring the relative heights, I come up with about 545 feet as the height of the Tower from base to roofline. Total height including the solar thingamabob in the middle appears to be about 550 ft.

That's about midway between the Gulf Tower (582 ft) and 525 William Penn Place (520 ft).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 2:25 PM

Nice work. I only question if that is the "official" planned height in the PNC rendering.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:22 PM

Here is a quick Sketch-up model I made for my own reference. I figured I would share it with you guys. However, it is VERY VERY crude (literally terrible, I suck at Sketch-up), but the height is accurate based on fizzard's post so it will give a rough idea of how it will interact with the rest of the skyline.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...bc&prevstart=0

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:48 PM

Based on previous articles, asbestos abatement is supposed to begin this month on existing properties. I figured I'd walk over after work. I didn't see any activity or vehicles when I was there a little after 4 PM. However, I did notice two new signs. On the old Rite Aid store there is a sign that says "Construction Zone; Danger" or something similar. Also, whereas before you could look into the building through a few small holes in the blinds on the front door, you can no longer look inside as there is some type of paper covering the entire inside of the door. The same construction sign is also on a building on Wood. St.
There is still one tenant hanging on as well. The check cashing store is still open for business with no sign on the door or window of imminent closing.

Last edited by Gilamonster; Jan 6, 2012 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:32 AM

No tenants left on site!

Money Mart is now closed. There was a sign on the door saying something to the effect that they were forced to close due to circumstances beyond their control. That was the last business remaining open on the footprint of the new tower.
Also, the agenda for tomorrow's City Planning Commission meeting includes line items for demolition on 310 Fifth Avenue and for the Tower at PNC Plaza, Wood St and Fifth Ave.

Last edited by Gilamonster; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 10:43 PM

At yesterday's City of Pittsburgh Planning Commission meeting, The Tower at PNC Plaza was officially given approval for construction to begin. Approval for the tower was never in doubt, but this was a necessary legal and bureaucratic hurdle to be jumped by PNC. The deconstruction of the vacant buildings was still mentioned to begin "by March". The only significant new revelation to come out of the meeting was the plan for two "patios" in the lobby, including one raised up from the lobby floor to be essentially an indoor garden.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:56 PM

There are some new renderings up on the PNC website!

It's Lookin' Good!

http://www.pncsites.com/pnctower/

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 7:00 PM

Finally found some time to actually post these

(image credit: PNC Financial Services)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Nice tower!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:31 PM

Workers on site!

Asbestos abatement has begun and the footprint of the new tower is now barricaded by Jersey Barriers and fencing. Wood St. is still completely open but both Fifth Ave. and Forbes Ave have one lane blocked off from Wood up to a little past the old Rite Aid store. When I arrived, work was winding down for the day, but I still saw a few guys going in and out from the old rite aid store and a worker on the scaffolding which has been erected in front of a building or two on Forbes Ave.

Proof that work is really going on; A sign on a dumpster outside the old Rite Aid building(Fifth Ave. side):

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

I like what I'm seeing here, it's good to know construction has started. This should be a fantastic addition to the skyline and to clear the 'gap' in the skyscraper block. Also glad to hear progress is being made on the Civic Arena site, those parking lots are prime unused real estate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive