HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 5:31 AM

DenverAztec visit to Santa Fe, New Mexico

I get down to Santa Fe at least once or twice a year as it is only about a 6 hour drive from home. The first three pictures I shot in Albuquerque and the rest I snapped in Santa Fe. The weather was very erratic as a few days later they were dumped on by a few feet of snow, as was Denver. I tossed a few sunny shots of a prior trip to help with the cloudiness since New Mexico and Colorado consistently have some incredible blue skies.

If you have not been to Santa Fe, you need to visit. The food is unique and the art on Canyon Road will rival the galleries in NYC, Aspen and Scottsdale. International artists come here as there is a heighten sense of calmness and spirituality. The building codes require all of the structures to incorporate adobe style as it naturally blends in with the environment, yet it generates a beauty not found anywhere else in the world. Hope you enjoy and please feel free to comment as this is my first posting on this forum.

Last edited by denveraztec; Aug 17, 2007 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:22 AM
Closed account

there are some colonial sights!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 9:26 AM

Wow - those mud buildings are fascinating - they remind me of Mali and Timbuctu.

Do you have any pics of Taos?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 9:33 AM

The sculpture art in Santa Fe is remarkable.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea Spy View Post
Wow - those mud buildings are fascinating - they remind me of Mali and Timbuctu.

Do you have any pics of Taos?
I will have to snap some of Taos, Chimayo and Espanola on my next visit. The Pueblo and Anazi American Indians used mud and hay which hardened to a clay like consistency originally (as stated in the begining of the thread, Adobe). Today the stucco materials are made of many natural and synthetic materials, including concrete, to help form stronger buildings. Some even appear suede like at certain times of the day.

Last edited by denveraztec; Aug 17, 2007 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 3:54 PM
no its not...

I too trek down there......

.....only about once a year. It is good for one's spirit.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 8:37 PM

Those harden hay/mud construction is called Adobe, which has seen a new surge in use now-a-days for it's properties. A well built abode house can last a very long time plus it helps regulate the temp inside, thus reducing the need to utilize engery to cool or heat it. Down where I live in Las Cruces, southern NM, a new trend has emerged where developers are building million dollar homes out of adobe, with all the comforts still available inside.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 7:17 PM
Meh

Nice. The buildings almost have a cartoonish appearance thanks to the curvy smooth shapes and colors.

So uh, my sister is in Colorado for 2 weeks, (Greely). Lucky duck. She's got the right idea getting away from the heat and humidity.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. The buildings almost have a cartoonish appearance thanks to the curvy smooth shapes and colors.

So uh, my sister is in Colorado for 2 weeks, (Greely). Lucky duck. She's got the right idea getting away from the heat and humidity.
Thanks Kevin! Love Santa Fe.

As for your sister making an escape to Colorado, we have been in the 90s during the day but 60s at night for many weeks with very high humidity in the afternoon. Reminds me of Houston in April. May be that way until the end of the month, but at least your sis will escape the threat of hurricane Dean!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 7:55 PM
no its not...

Don't be suprised.....

Quote:

...if she comes home complaining about the stink of the huge feedlot and the processing of the sugar beets up in Greeley.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 8:14 PM
Jeepus Africanus

Great stuff. Santa Fe is a very unique town. I love the location and the architecture; the people are another story, but I won't get into that. They have some of the coolest art galleries in the western U.S.

Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 9:59 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
...if she comes home complaining about the stink of the huge feedlot and the processing of the sugar beets up in Greeley.
Haha, I'll take your word for it there. I've been there also, but we didn't really explore the city at all. My uncle lived in Windsor and we went up to Greeley for something, I forget what, but then it was off to Rocky Mountain National Park for the day. I must say, I love your state. Other than Texas it's the one state I've seen the most of and I love it to pieces.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2007, 2:17 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Nice photos DenverAztec. this shot captures santa fe for me. There is such a nice pedestrian environment there and it is partially due to the texture and nuances of the individual buildings which then taken together with the building density, old curving streets and mountain vistas create a fascinating sensory experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
The building codes require all of the structures to incorporate adobe style as it naturally blends in with the environment, yet it generates a beauty not found anywhere else in the world.
This is true, but one of the complaints I have about santa fe is that in some of the newer developments there is still the typical suburban development of having homes with the 2, 3 or 4 car garages dominate the street frontage with their blank doors. They are wrapped in the adobe style but lack the qualities that make santa fe what it is.

I don't know exactly what the peak tourist season is, I assume summer and around christmas, but i would recommend anyone going there to try and go during the "off" season... and maybe during the week vs. the weekend. Santa Fe is now deservedly world-renown, but the sheer volume of tourists at certain times is the biggest single negative about the city.

Again, thanks for the photos -- overall a really great place.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2007, 3:53 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

What a unique city.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:06 PM
Up Up and Away

I think Santa Fe is one of the most unique cities in the United States. It's architecture screams of a long history, dating back to 1610. I would suggest traveling many of the back roads to the smaller villages throughout New Mexico. In some towns, there are structures that were built in the mid to late 1700's that are still standing.

I love Santa Fe, and I love Nuevo Mejico.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 9:32 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Eww, Greeley!

Back to life... Back to Greality! Hahaha

Yes Kevin, I spent too long in Greeley when I was going to UNC (Northern Colorado)...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 9:42 PM

Definitely different.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:57 AM
It's Daniel

Wonderful photos. I've been to Albuquerque but never to Santa Fe. Heard it's a wonderful place. I can see why from looking at these shots. truly a beautiful place in the scenic state of New Mexico.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 4:26 AM
BANNED

holy historic batman!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos