HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:37 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Punto Oeste, La Corte Island

On June 4th 1663 British boat called The Westerner discovered and island on the Pacific Ocean and called it Western England, from that moment on a city was created which would follow a path of war, famine, wealth and one of the poorest places in North America. The Western England Island was set to be one of Britain's new Jail house, and it did become a jail house until 1676 when a prisoners took over the island and killed all the guards. About 73% of the people in the island escaped using the abandoned boats while the rest decided to found a new city for pirates, women of life, and booze. The plan didn't go well, after 6 years on the Great Escape only 18 people remained in the island and by this time there was no way to get out; the nearest land was almost 300 miles away.

Three months later, paranoia brought the group down and forced them to kill until only 4 were left. Then, on July 8th 1682 a ship came across the island and took the 4 remaining men back to a small settlement called Los Angeles. The four remaining men decided to work and get money to back to their little piece of paradise and become entrepreneurs in the shipping and trading business. Due to the influence of Spaniards in Los Angeles, the men decided to name the island La Corte and a piece of land they would name Punto Oeste (West Point).

A computer model of the island showing Punto Oeste:

Punto Oeste is the largest city in La Corte Island and as the name states, it's a point:
Neighborhoods are shown here with colors (the city seems to be pointing North it's actually pointing West):

Blue: Marina District
Yellow: North Financial
Red: South Financial
Lime Green: North Shore
Gold/Orange-ish: Historic
Brown: South Park
Green: Parks and World Expo Complex.

During the Mexican-American war over Texas, La Corte was one of the few islands that Mexico and America were fighting for. On January 1st 1848 both Mexico and America signed a treaty which allowed the United States to keep control over the island for 101 years then it would go back to Mexico's power forever.

The island was abandoned until 1870 when an unknown person decided to populate the island. La Corte Island was a small trading port until in 1885 diaminds were found on top of La Cumbre Volcano and for the next 23 years miners came to the island in hopes of becoming rich.

Today the island is an example of the wonders 2 countries can do if they work together and an economic icon. One of the cities, Punto Oeste, is now the financial capital of the Pacific Ocean and the biggest city in a Pacific island with 2.4 million people living in a small area behind a dormant volcano. Punto Oeste is known for it's mixed architecture from Spain, England, New York, and Rome. Since space is small he city crippled it's height laws in 1920, and became the most environmentally friendly city of it's time without knowing it.

More pictures will be added later on, a gallery will be added but for now it's just words and more words. I don't want to fill this page up with shots so I can make a gallery on this post when I have enough good pictures. I'll stay with this city for a while, trust me with all the work I have to do I'll have to stay with it.

Historic:

This was my entry for the complex comp:

Grand Hyatt:
Floors: 30 (14 floors hotel, 12 residential, 4 mix of service, ball room, and lobby)
Height: 420
Use: Hotel, Residential
Facts: On the 17th floor the hotel has an opening with an outdoor pool and indoor pool for condo owners which look out to the West Pacific Ocean.

Western Tower:
Floors: 47 (26 Office, 17 Residential, 1 Observation, 2 lobby/service, 1 empty)
Height: 621 feet
Use: Office, Residential
Facts: The Western Tower was finished in 1920 an opened in June, 4th, 1920. When it first opened it was the 4th tallest building in the world and the tallest outside New York City. The design came from the Seattle Smith Tower which was opened in 1914; the architect was born in Seattle and fell in love with the Smith Tower so he based the Western Tower on the Smith Tower's design. Bought in 2005 (due to large amount of vacancy) by the Ritz-Carlton Company, it was decided to restore the old building to it's original beauty and turned into condominiums. The plan did not work out due to people who protested so that the tower would not become a hotel. Today the tower is a mix of office and some of the most luxurious condominiums on the Western Hemisphere.

West Point Tower:
Floors: 85 (46 Office, 31 Residential, 2 skygarden/private spa, 3 service/lobby/retail, 1 trading, 1 disco, a ballroom)
Height: 1,195 feet
Use: Office, Residential, Club, Spa, Retail, Disco.
Facts: The tallest of the towers in the complex it stands out like a sharp, glass splinter in the middle of the Ocean. The tower was completed in 2005 and has some of the highest residences in Latin-America. The 3rd before last floor contain a penthouse which occupies the whole floor. This tower has the highest spa and pool in the Western Hemisphere. A new company called "1" added 31 floors of Residences to West Point Tower and has 2-5 bedroom condo's including a 10 room penthouse.

South Financial:

So I finished the first block of the part of a city I can show. It's not nice but it's the first shots I'm showing so these will stay up for as long as this city lasts.
Anyways here's the first four shots.

Yes, I'll try to name all the buildings in my city. ALL:

2 twin towers are the Eron Towers, The one with the green roof in the New York Hotel, and the smallest one is The Brazil Building. The parking is for the twin towers.

I'll include history on some buildings but for now I won't.

The two Eron Towers:

Eron Towers Garage:

Last edited by Aleks; Nov 19, 2007 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 4:59 AM

the name sounds better in english

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 5:26 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, but it's in Mexican territory so I guess it's best if it has a name in Spanish. Anyways, I wrote so much!!!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 5:29 AM

the history has a touch of SF in it (or it seems,texas revolutoin,gold/diamond rushes)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 6:28 AM
nuttin

the tall hill looks a bit funny but

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 8:05 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

It's supposed to be a dormant volcano but it looks like a mountain covered in chocolate.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 3:40 PM
World Machine

Wow, looking foward to this one. I would suggest lowering the height of that mountain/volcano.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I would but it took me a while so I'll just let it pass. Besides, this is the only time I'll show the island. I really want to finish some buildings though so I can start showing city shots but one building can take hours to finish.

So I'll post and update from Wednesday-Friday. I hope my computer doesn't break with all the things I put in it. Buildings will be window-by-window. Even the ones that are squarish take a while because of all the windows.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I edited the first post. Hope you guys like!!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 12:49 AM
World Machine

The architecture is very different from what you have used. I like it. It breaks the island up, and demonstrates history and eras.

"Enron Towers"- That company went bankrupt years ago. Are they still doing business in La Corte.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 2:16 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

No, this is a rip-off from Enron called Eron. Just took the first n out.

Thanks, I want to make it different. Got tired of glass. And details are way more noticeable (ex. windows). I'll show block by block in my city, so when I finish a block I'll show it. Then when I finish ALL the blocks in my city I'll start building modern high-rises.

It's not Sabal Island, but I tried to add lots of details.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:13 AM

Looks cool. I like the the bay area and how you have it.

The buildings are looking really good.

Can't wait to see this place once you get it further along in development.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin55 View Post
the history has a touch of SF in it (or it seems,texas revolutoin,gold/diamond rushes)
rather the history has a touch of Hong Kong

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

It's supposed to have a likely history. But umm yeah thanks Vertical and BACON!! I love BACON!!

I'm still working on the city and for now I've been working on 2 more blocks but soon I'll work on more. The part I'm working on is the Financial District which is mostly offices. I'll also work in the Historic District which many of you saw in the Complex Competition.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 9:31 PM

I was actaully eating a canadian bacon pizza when he posted that.

Enron is one of my favorite company names ever,to bad they screwed people around.there Houston HQ is a awesome looking complex to.

cant wait for CBD'S!!!and ICBMS and RPGs!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 11:45 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well, I updated the first post. All I did was add a map of the city showing neighborhoods but I'll try to add shots of the city soon.

I've been working both the Historic District and the North Financial District. Finished 1 block in the North Financial and 1 in the Historic and I'm working on 2 blocks in the Historic and 2 in the North Financial.

P.S: I had 6 pieces of Bacon yesterday and today I had 3!!! I'm fat!! Not really though, I eat alot (I mean A LOT) but I don't get fat. Is that bad? I also eat hella unhealthy).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 11:48 PM
World Machine

Bacon Kicks Ass!

Anyway, I'm liking that grid a lot. Very organized, and it'll make for a great skyline.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Mehh, I don't like it much. Too repetitive. I'd rather have horizontal streets, curves, ell that jazz.

But I get bored so I just copy and paste. I'll divide updates between neighborhoods not by what's built when. After I finish this page I'll start posting updates in page #2, #3, #4, and so on....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 11:58 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Mehh, I don't like it much. Too repetitive. I'd rather have horizontal streets, curves, ell that jazz.

But I get bored so I just copy and paste. I'll divide updates between neighborhoods not by what's built when. After I finish this page I'll start posting updates in page #2, #3, #4, and so on....
That's what I'm going to do with my Downtown. Make some curves, etc......

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 12:01 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Bah, when I eat bacon, I have like 20 pieces.

Nice map! It looks very organized. Hopefully you don't let that organization go to waste like I did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup