HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:17 AM

Phoenix - Part One of Two by DenverAztec

I am in Phoenix several times a year for business and decided to post a thread of the photos I shot this past year. Most are from the last few months. This is thread one of two and I hope you enjoy my perspective of a unique American city. Phoenicians take great pride in what they have and here are some facts about Phoenix to help explain why they live where and how they do:
• Phoenix was incorporated as a city in 1881 and geographically, covers about 515 square miles.
• Maricopa County--where Greater Phoenix is located--covers 9,127 square miles
• Phoenix' elevation is 1,117 feet
• Greater Phoenix is in the heart of the Sonoran Desert and covers 2,000 square miles
• Phoenix Major Employers/Industries: The early economy of Phoenix was primarily agricultural, dependent mainly on cotton and citrus farming. In the last two decades, the economy has diversified as rapidly as the population has grown. High tech, aerospace and service industries make up the major portion of the economic base of Phoenix. Major employers include Banner Health, Honeywell, Wells Fargo and Target.
• Phoenix's estimated population as of 2006 was 1,512,986, making it the fifth largest city in the United States.
• Its city proper covers an area larger than those of New York City, Philadelphia and Miami combined. Making it the biggest state capital and the 10th largest land area for a city in the United States; however, because of its huge area, the city had a relatively low population density of only 2,938 people per square mile.
• Phoenix has an arid climate, and its average annual maximum temperature is the highest of any major US city. In fact, out of the world's large urban areas, only some cities around the Persian Gulf, such as Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Baghdad, Iraq, and some cities in North India such as Amritsar and Jaipur have comparable summer temperatures.

The Crowne Plaza Hotel, where I stay on business trips.

Encanto Park and the Surrounding Neighborhood - In 1934, the Encanto area began as the City of Phoenix park. The park is composed of 222 acres of land consisting of picnic areas, a lagoon, boat house where boats can be rented, swimming pool, nature trail, amusement park, fishing and two golf courses. It is approximately bounded by Thomas Rd. on the north, Encanto Blvd. on the south, 15th Ave. on the west and 7th Ave. on the east.

Church on Central

Luhrs Tower, my favorite highrise downtown

Patriots Square Park, located in downtown is a mixed-use park containing an outdoor performing arts stage and hosts community celebrations such as the Arizona Asian Festival and Cinco de Mayo.

Sprawling on 600-acres is the complex called Taliesin West. It was designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright. Built in 1937 onward, a architect's house and studio, large house, of concrete with timber frame, canvas roof, in a hot, dry, rural area, in Idiosyncratic Modern style. The word Taliesin means "a shining brow" perhaps alluding to the scenic location and vista. Taliesin West in Scottsdale, Arizona, and Taliesin in Spring Green, Wisconsin, are considered two of Wright's greatest architectural masterpieces.

This iron dragon was a gift to Mr. Wright from China. Frank thought that all dragons should breath fire, so he installed a gas line and had it spit fire when guests came to visit.

The Westward Ho, downtown Phoenix

The Orpheum Theatre is a small, intimate theatre (seating 1,364) in downtown Phoenix. It was originally used for vaudeville acts as part of the nationwide Orpheum Theatre chain. Construction began in 1927 and was completed in 1929 for a total cost of $750,000. It was designed and built by architects J.E. Rickards and Harry Nace. Built in a Spanish Baroque style, intricate murals and moldings were an integral part of the design, all meant to give patrons the impression that they were enjoying the shows "al fresco." At one point all the murals and moldings were painted black when the Orpheum was used to show Spanish films. It was thought that such decorations would detract from the films. The theatre is on the National Register of Historic Places and on my list of favorite buildings to just gaze at! Heck I wanted to scale it and take home one of those little Pan creatures, but then came to my senses.

The Phoenix Art Museum complex and Theater. The museum was founded in 1936 as the Phoenix Art Center. It later evolved into the Phoenix Fine Arts Association, before being renamed the Phoenix Art Museum. Collection includes 17,000 works of art that span the centuries and the globe. Its emphasis is on American, Asian, European, Latin American, modern and contemporary, and Western American art and fashion design.

Was Zorro Voluptuous?

Homes near the Art Museum

Back on Central

Hole-in-the-Rock, in the Papago Park area, is a series of openings (tafoni) eroded in a small hill composed of bare red arkosic conglomerate sandstone. The sandstone was first formed some 6-15 million years ago, and the tafoni are thought to have been eroded by water.

Desert Botanical Garden - The world's largest collection of desert plants. On 50 acres located within Papago Park in Phoenix, it was founded in 1939 and garden now has more than 21,000 plants, including 139 species which are rare, threatened or endangered.

Not the best of photos, but can you see the hungry owl in the hole of this saguaro cacti? I didn’t want to get too close for it was his feeding time and I was not in the mood to loose an eye to a nocturnal hunter in the middle of the desert.

Street Lamps, I think this is a Sun Devil?

The Heard Museum was founded in1929 by Dwight B. and Maie Bartlett Heard to house their personal collection of art. Much of the archaeological material in the Heard's collection came from La Ciudad Indian ruin, which the Heards purchased in 1926 at 19th and Polk streets in Phoenix. The Heard Museum has an extensive collection of Native American artifacts, including the largest kachina doll collection--donated in part by the late Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater--of any museum in the country. Arizona is home to 23 reservations representing 21 different Native American tribes.

This hair style had to be the inspiration for Princess Leah in the earlier "Star Wars" flicks.

Palm Drive, one of many palm lined streets in Phoenix.

No other city with the population of Phoenix has the ability spread out and the construction opportunities are endless. Only great things are to come if their city planners have the vision, and that vision is shared by all Phoenicians! Thank you to the Phoenix Forumers who gave me advice on where to go in their great city. Thread two found at this link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141843

Last edited by denveraztec; Nov 24, 2007 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:48 AM
no its not...

You always do such an interesting job.....

...I love the cacti shots. I think our friends in PHX will be pleased with these.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:56 AM

What an awesome thread denveraztec!
Great information to support the pics too....
(I learned a few things and I've lived here my whole life)
You sure hit a lot of attractions when you visit!
It is funny how we locals take certain attractions for granted....
You just made me want to visit Taliesen West.

Great shots of Central Ave buildings-
Hopefully in a few years with Light Rail we will see quite a bit of Modern high rises popping through the mix.
The Encanto area sure has a lot of potential....

Looking forward to thread two~

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:07 AM
Closed account

Wow, I love them all !

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:16 PM

great thread - very interesting. Phoenix has muich more heterogeneous architecture than I would have imagined, although some of those downtown highrises are pretty forgettable. Seriously blue sky and intense sunshine - the city look hot!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:48 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

Great Photos. This always miffs me about Phoenix. In Tucson, the landscape ordinance discourages green lawns and non native species. As Phoenix grows these lawns will be a thing of the past.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:07 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Great photos and tour DA. Love all the interesting history and factual information you dig up; I'm sure it is a lot of work on your part, but well worth it for the rest of us who just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor . Thanks!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:30 PM

What a great thread (well worth the wait)... The angles and colors and subjects of so many of your picutures are beautiful. You really did get around, and made some areas of town and buildings look better in pictures than I think of them through my eyes. There are too many favorites to pick out, so I'll just say I liked them all!

Looking forward to part 2!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:34 PM
zzzzzzzz

Very comprehensive thread of my former hometown. Looking forward to part 2!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:35 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
What an awesome thread denveraztec!
Great information to support the pics too....
(I learned a few things and I've lived here my whole life)
It is funny how we locals take certain attractions for granted....
You hit the nail on the head, loftlovr! I have been to the Orpheum 20 or 30 times, and have walked and driven past it 500 times more, but have never looked up to appreciate the detail of the building.

You captured Phoenix in a great light, denveraztec!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 3:37 PM

you did a great job of capturing phoenix denveraztec! i'm looking forward to part 2.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:17 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbautz View Post
Great Photos. This always miffs me about Phoenix. In Tucson, the landscape ordinance discourages green lawns and non native species. As Phoenix grows these lawns will be a thing of the past.

I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it, Phoenix does a fantastic job managing its water,unlike some western cities. Estimates are that the Valley could double its current population before having to start enacting water conservation efforts. Only homes in the historic areas of towns have big lush lawns like that with lots of trees, most newer areas have gravel and desert plants out front, and a lawn in the back. Furthermore, a lot of homes in Phoenix were built on what was formally agricultural land, so when its replaced with homes, less water ends up being used.

I loved your pictures Denveraztec, its neat to see what an outsider chooses to show. For instance, if I wanted to show off Phoenix, I'd never show Patriots Square Park, that thing is an embarrassment and I can't wait until soon when its knocked over.

And no, that little design on the street lamp isn't a 'Sun Devil.' A Sun Devil was actually an old term for a desert storm (like a big dust devil), but when they sent the name to an artist to come up with a drawing, he didn't know, so he drew up ASU's famous imp, Sparky. The school liked the way it looked, and went with it.

I'm looking forward to part 2, I hope there's some pictures of the Central library

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:38 PM

Thank you for all the great comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
What an awesome thread denveraztec! Great information to support the pics too....(I learned a few things and I've lived here my whole life) You sure hit a lot of attractions when you visit! It is funny how we locals take certain attractions for granted....You just made me want to visit Taliesen West.
Taliesin West is so worth the short journey! Frank Lloyd Wright was one of the greatest architects of our time, as evidence, his dreams and designs are still being constructed around the world today. It is great to learn about his quirks and reasoning for planning, like low doorway entrances because he was a firm believer that you are either in a structure or out, never converse or think in a doorway! Hence the low doorway entrances made it uncomfortable to anyone not practicing Frank’s belief.

I think all of us, in any city, take so much for granted with our environment. I live in Colorado and don’t ski! I love Aspen and Vail in the summer and would rather mountain bike down the slopes then possibly end up like Sonny Bono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
Great photos and tour DA. Love all the interesting history and factual information you dig up; I'm sure it is a lot of work on your part, but well worth it for the rest of us who just sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor . Thanks!!!!!
Thank you! It can be time consuming but it is so worth it to learn about a city or structure and sharing that obtained knowledge is the cherry on the cake. I wish more photo forum posters would explain the buildings on their threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
…You really did get around, and made some areas of town and buildings look better in pictures than I think of them through my eyes…
You know, I was told to stay out of Encanto Park by everyone but you, thank you! It was one of the more enjoyable parts of town for its historical value. It is like any major park in any major city, it is surrounded by wonderful homes in addition to areas occupied by undesirables.

Quote:

I only found these lush lawns in the historic neighborhoods. The rest of the city appeared to be zerascaped. This past summer that was very evident with the dust storms (they actually have a name, they are called Haboo).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
...I loved your pictures Denveraztec, its neat to see what an outsider chooses to show. For instance, if I wanted to show off Phoenix, I'd never show Patriots Square Park, that thing is an embarrassment and I can't wait until soon when its knocked over.

And no, that little design on the street lamp isn't a 'Sun Devil.' A Sun Devil was actually an old term for a desert storm (like a big dust devil), but when they sent the name to an artist to come up with a drawing, he didn't know, so he drew up ASU's famous imp, Sparky. The school liked the way it looked, and went with it...
Patriots Square Park looks like it could be a fun place to see an outdoor concert or attend some of the festivals, but it was filled with homeless when I walked through. Our Civic Center Park has a similar vibe with the homeless but park space that close to the CBD is an incredibly good thing to have. I hope it is not replaced with a parking lot or just a vacant lot?

Thanks for the Sun Devil answer. So what are all those devil like tribal looking things on all the lamp posts? Most look like American Indian figures, possibly just art, angels?

Last edited by denveraztec; Nov 16, 2007 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:21 PM

Quote:
No, they won't.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:37 PM
them bones

Thanks so much for a really thoughtful and affectionate thread on my former home. It's wonderful to see a thread on Phoenix that isn't really about shiny new towers or new development...just about the intrinsic things that most people who live there really like about the city.

You did of course forget Big Surf!!!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:53 PM

Nice series of photos.

The summer monsoon brings large thunderstorms into the valley. The walls of dust that the thunderstorm winds can push up in front of the advancing storms are called haboobs. Many times, they skirt the valley's massive heat island and strike the edges, which is why downtown Phoenix averages only 7 inches of rain per year but out where I live in Scottsdale (25 miles northeast of downtown and fully 1,000 feet higher), it's more like 10-14 inches per year.

Phoenix's urbanized metro area covers about 2,500 square miles and has a population of about 4 million (I figure 4.3 million but official sources lag a bit from this number). There is a significant amount of population churn in Phoenix, as about two residents leave for every three that move in. However, that net increase amounts to about 120,000 to 150,000 net new residents per year.

Phoenix is so unlike other older, more established cities. For example, historic districts in cities like Kansas City are homes built before World War II (1940s), while in Phoenix, anything built before 1970 is considered historic. The vegetation here is exotic and the views sacred, which is one of the reasons why there are so few high-rises here. Phoenix could be one of the most auto-centric cities on the planet, as it seems the entire infrastructure of the city is built for vehicles, not people. Every mile, even in the older sections of the city, is a six or seven lane thoroughfare with 45 mph speed limits. As a result, it is very easy to get around Phoenix.

--don

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:03 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
Patriots Square Park looks like it could be a fun place to see an outdoor concert or attend some of the festivals, but it was filled with homeless when I walked through. Our Civic Center Park has a similar vibe with the homeless but park space that close to the CBD is an incredibly good thing to have. I hope it is not replaced with a parking lot or just a vacant lot?

Thanks for the Sun Devil answer. So what are all those devil like tribal looking things on all the lamp posts? Most look like American Indian figures, possibly just art, angels?
Try visiting Patriots Square Park in the summer, all the brick makes the thing an oven, is rough. The whole design of the place is bad, its not fitting for the desert. Anyway, its being replaced by a project called CityScape which at full build out will have 4 towers, condos, office and hotels. It'll be wrapped in ground floor retail, and have an interior part somewhat similar to Horton Plaza in San Diego. The part where the 'park' is, will be replaced with an AJs Fine Foods (upscale grocery store) and a book store, as well as a slightly smaller, redesigned open space. There's a thread about it here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117961

About the art on the light posts, I don't know if its supposed to be anything specific, I think its just, art.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:22 PM

DenverAztec, speaking of the Encanto area, just wondering if you noticed (or went into) this building? It is on 15th Ave just across from Encanto Park. It is the James C. Norton House and is still standing (it now serves as a City Parks and Rec offices).

courtesy Arizonahistoricalimages.org

Not to take away from the thread... again, beautiful pictures, I keep fining more and more gems each time I check out this thread.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:29 PM

Nice shots and interesting tour

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos