HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:14 PM

Move Nordstrom into the Forever 21 space on Main

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
Move Nordstrom into the Forever 21 space on Main
Problem is that Nordstrom is pretty big, has the cafe, etc.... Can't move it very easily into just any other space.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 8:16 PM

It would be a shame if we went to all this work to reconnect downtown and Nordstrom remained right in the middle of it. I would like to see Nordstrom moved and a skybridge from City Creek to the entertainment district/Salt Palace. It could make everything from the Delta Center to Regent Street feel like one continuous district.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 10:20 PM
They all float down here

Now I'll say one thing about an existing building:

I do love the facade of Nordstrom and would be sad to see it go.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:13 AM

Also, something that one of the Mayors mentioned related to the Olympics yesterday was how they don't like that Medals Plaza is just temporary and gets taken down once the Olympics are over.

Potentially hinting that they might want a more permeant structure/place? Like a amphitheater or something?

That would be cool to see downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 4:30 AM

West Quarter Salt Palace merge?

I was thinking, what if the base of the West Quarter Phase II was partially incorporated into becoming an expansion to the Salt Palace instead of simply being a large parking garage under the proposed towers?

If a partial second floor was added as well as a skybridge connecting the two, it could be a way to make up for some of the lost square footage for the entertainment district.

It also could be a great way to get the Second Phase of the West Quarter back on track after it has seemingly stalled.

I think The Richie Group should start actively working with Salt Lake County to see if this would be possible.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 6:35 PM
high-floor train enjoyer

I am still of the opinion that demolishing Abravanel is a non-option. Many people group it with the Salt Palace during talks of reworks, but I think this is unnecessary. Abravanel was here before the Salt Palace, it has incredible acoustics, and is world renowned among musicians. Much like how many think that no new station could fully replace the Rio Grande Depot, I don't think a new concert hall could ever replace Abravanel.

Reworking the Salt Palace to be less of a barrier between City Creek and the Delta Center on the other hand, would be much easier and would be much more helpful to the city. As much as having a large continuous space is, taking up 3 blocks is ridiculous for such a short building in an area with such high demand. Cutting it down to 2 blocks and making the center 3-4 stories tall would provide almost as much continuous space while increasing room for other events and reducing the impact the Salt Palace has on the area.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:52 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
I am still of the opinion that demolishing Abravanel is a non-option. Many people group it with the Salt Palace during talks of reworks, but I think this is unnecessary. Abravanel was here before the Salt Palace, it has incredible acoustics, and is world renowned among musicians. Much like how many think that no new station could fully replace the Rio Grande Depot, I don't think a new concert hall could ever replace Abravanel.

Reworking the Salt Palace to be less of a barrier between City Creek and the Delta Center on the other hand, would be much easier and would be much more helpful to the city. As much as having a large continuous space is, taking up 3 blocks is ridiculous for such a short building in an area with such high demand. Cutting it down to 2 blocks and making the center 3-4 stories tall would provide almost as much continuous space while increasing room for other events and reducing the impact the Salt Palace has on the area.
How many musicians even come to Abravanel anymore?

Through the rest of the year, there's seven events and two are comedians (Seinfeld and Wanda Sykes).

More might be scheduled, of course, and obviously the Utah Symphony utilizes it ... but it doesn't seem like there's a lot scheduled for the remainder of the year.

Look: If it can be saved, I absolutely support saving it - even if it means renovating.

But I don't think it's a non-starter.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:22 PM

I spent a week in London last month and saw several shows on the West End. I think every theater I went to was over 100 years old and had been refreshed and reinvented from theater to movie houses and back to theater in it's history. I know their culture and history is to preserve these types of buildings and I wish we had more of that here.

Abravanel Hall is in a perfect location for this district, has history here, and just needs a remodel from time to time. It would be a huge mistake to bail just because it needs updates.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:04 PM

So what exactly is wrong with Abravanel Hall then? The speaker made it sound like it could potentially cost tens to even hundreds of millions in order to save it.

I'm in the camp of save it if we can, especially if it is WAY cheaper.

That said, I would like to see a new concert hall built in the long run and I'd love to see something like the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Salt Lake. However, based on a quick google search it took $274 million (in early 2000s) and 16 years and to finish. Obviously not all concert halls take that long, but if we want unique architecture it can sometimes take a long time to get it right.

I mean, it might be reaching for the stars to get something like the Disney Concert Hall, but it would sure look cool:

If we did remove and replace Abravanel Hall, would the symphony just need to perform elsewhere in the city? What are the chances they could Eccles Theater or Capitol Theater? Or would they be put out of commission?

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Well since the Church is on board with this whole district, including being ok with the liquor laws changing in this area to remove the required distance from alcohol establishments and community spaces, maybe they're seeing a potential benefit in doing something radical on that end of City Creek. They need to do something as it's struggling.

Would be amazing if they cut straight through Nordstrom to continue that promenade that winds through both blocks of City Creek and extend it across W Temple. It could wind just to the south of UMOCA and AH and then be the central promenade of the new entertainment district.

Personally, I don't see how we could get this cool interconnectivity between City Creek and this district without at least removing the modern art museum. I will say, museums are easier to replace, since structurally they are basically just a bunch of empty rooms that art gets installed in. This becomes more expensive the more unique the design, but much easier than building a new concert hall.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:41 PM

Would it be possible to update the facade of Abravanel hall to something more architecturally significant but keep the guts and the inside and the acoustics the same?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:38 PM
Lahaina Strong

While all of this NHL stuff has been going on, the state seems to have shelved the Bear River Development.

A pretty big win for water and GSL.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Would it be possible to update the facade of Abravanel hall to something more architecturally significant but keep the guts and the inside and the acoustics the same?
I would like this.

To be honest, the facade of Abravanel isn't anything spectacular. I don't think anyone would miss the actual exterior of the building. It's fairly unremarkable and looks like a typical auditorium you'd find on a college campus, maybe even community college, that was built during the modernist push of the 1970s.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West