View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2017, 12:34 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm not surprised about the 2nd one, but a little surprised that they are still considering building an inland port. I knew there was a study being done, but with coal on the decline what is left that would really utilize such a port?
Yea, I was especially curious about that one. BTW, there's a new website for the BRT which I'll try and post some pictures and details of later.

About the coal, most of the stuff that's produced in Alabama isn't used domestically but exported to developing countries where it's, of course, cheaper to use. It's starting a decline in Chine (finally), but there are still countries on the rise that need it. So, I wouldn't call the coal industry dead until environmentalist find a way to stop the mining.

Who knows, maybe this new phase at Birmingport is something the city thinks will in enhance its ability to accommodate the transportation of additional goods.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State