View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:25 AM
Cat Enthusiast

6th Ave Grocery Store Clearing Hurdles
Link

Long story short, a Wal Mart Neighborhood Market is in the process of constructing a store at the corner of 6th Ave (US 31) and 8th St in Decatur. This is across 8th St from Walgreen, and across 6th Ave from McDonald's.

Of course, Neighborhood market is the higher end grocery store that Wal Mart does. I don't understand why they're building in this part of town, unless they see some kind of potential. Not that I'm pessimistic, it's just that it's not the best part of town. It does actually have potential, a strong street grid in a high traffic area. Wal Mart does tend to do their research, so maybe they see a lot of future growth and gentrification in this part of town?

IN OTHER NEWS;

Mellow Mushroom has begun construction in downtown Decatur at the corner of 2nd Ave and Moulton St.

Calhoun Community College/Athens State Fine Arts campus is nearly finished in downtown.

Shopping center on 6th Ave near the Beltline intersection is progressing well.

Olive Garden is now complete at the corner of the Beltline and Veterans Dr.

I have no clue how construction is progressing at the mall on the Beltline. Though, there is supposed to be some construction on the Belk store and a new movie theater constructed in the old Dillard's location.

Lot's of good things happening! There are about 4 industrial projects going on in or within a few feet of the city that will employ around 500 to 600 total once completed. So! EVEN brighter days are ahead!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State