View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2018, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
What about that new Sheraton, or a couple of them, going up in Havana? Are those JV hotels with a majority local government partner?

Rather than turning this thread into politics, I do appreciate the friendly smiles the locals give to tourists despite the many difficulties they face in their daily lives. I could easily replace Cuba with a large American city in the blurb above. Those people face just as difficult lives. Just that they're not power blackouts or perpetual construction, but nevertheless difficult. Everyone faces their own set of issues. The sad part is, for the latter, voting doesn't often materialize in change.
The difference is that you don't see any poor people from Miami setting sail in cars-turned-into-boats for a better life in Cuba. Here, and in most other countries around the world, you have the freedom to pursue better endeavors and move upward in society.

It's good that the Cuban government has cracked open the door ever so slightly to allow for private enterprise. I would love to see a lot more freedom for the Cuban people. They are a good group of people who have put up with a lot, and they deserve much more than they have. That is why I am interested in going down there, and helping them directly as much as possible.

I'm looking forward to more pictures in the meantime! And, if anyone can assist me with my original questions about how to support private enterprises in Cuba, should I get the chance to go down there, that would be great!