View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I'm just saying while those places are all going to be interesting to visit, they are the tourism equivalent of buying a imported produce item that had to travel a zillion miles over rails, ship, plane etc to arrive at the market and my shopping basket, instead of the local North American produce. Is the experience of savoring an exotic fruit worth the miles this fruit has to travel?

I like the idea of striving to be a 'locavore' in more than my produce selection. Traveling to some far-flung locale on a jet should really be a very special and uncommon luxury IMO. Traveling to and checking out, I don't know, over-the-rhine in Cincinnati or some other special place here, which highly deserves greater promotion as a tourism destination, seems more ethical.
So you're comparing Paris to produce?? Umm.....

Keep in mind, this is a New York Times article. It's going to be noticed by a very diverse group of people, some of which have enough disposable income to take a trip to remote places like The Kimberley. And then there are other places like the Adirondacks or Charlevoix that are more to your style.

It also seems like the point was to highlight many places that may not be at the top of the list (save for Paris) but have a lot to offer.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist