View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 11:02 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Pre-fab bridge segments are being strung up between the new pylings. From the looks of what I saw today, I'd say they have about 30 hoisted up. By method of permenant installation, none of them are officially "finished", though... Keep in mind... while ~30 may be hoisted up as of this weekend, there are still over 2,000 that will need to be installed.

Also, take note, pylings are still being erected... and from the looks of the staging location for the pyling segments... they've got a LONG way to go.

--------------------------------------------------------

Mobile Bay Bridge/BayWay

State lawmakers (aka idiots) are looking for options to avoid tolling the new Mobile Bay bridge AND Wallace Tunnel. I doubt they'll find any solution that does not involve reasonable tolling. For what it's worth, ALDOT has contracturally committed to a frequent driver discount. Essentially, daily commuters wouldn't be subject to the full tolls that thru shipping, tourists, and less frequent travelors would be.

If you're wondering why I mentioned tolling over the Wallace Tunnel... ALDOT would toll the Wallace Tunnel to prevent toll avoidance. For any outsiders who do not know... the Wallace Tunnel and new Mobile Bay Bridge will be Netflix and chilling once the bridge has been erected and it would almost be worth it to sit in a few minutes extra of traffic to take the tunnel under the river to avoid the toll on the bridge/BayWay.

BTW, can we all agree that the name "George Wallace" needs to be f***ing removed from it? Hell, Fort Conde is right there! Why not the "Fort Conde Tunnel"?! Damn... I'd even prefer the "We Want More Shipping Container Traffic Tunnel". Or how bout the "Mardis Gras Tunnel"? Damn, there are so many better options...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State