View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 10:16 PM
She needs her space

^^^I rarely ever ride the "long" busses and still face the same issues of delays, overcrowding, and general transit debauchery. I think the bus system is about as good as it's going to be in a dense city with tight streets and ineffective rail transit to supplement the bus system.

In my opinion, the real fix to SF's transit will be more rail. And I'm actually looking forward to BRT on Van Ness (though like the Central Subway, I'll either have grey hair or may have even moved on by the time it opens!). SF transit is awesome relative to the general US. Relative to a few specific northeastern cities? It's meh. Relative to Europe, it's dismal. For the city's density, it shouldn't be this difficult to get around. I appreciate the city going for more transit reliance and less parking/driving, but it's just got to do more to step up transit simultaneous to adding more housing/jobs and eliminating more parking. It can't all be on residents to make the shift - we first have to be able to actually make the shift by having better options.

I'm pretty optimistic about the new location, however, transit is my biggest concern, by far. Mission Bay feels pretty isolated as it is, and that stems partly from lack of transit connections. We have to bear in mind that the transit connection to the new location is the T Third. It's not the Central Subway, though that will tie into the T Third. Like many of yall, having been to Warriors games in Oakland, I have seen the crowds and how they were more or less effectively handled by BART (albeit still with hour+ to clear the main crowds). BART can handle many times more passengers than MUNI on a single rail line. This will be interesting, that's for sure.