HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 3:51 AM
She needs her space

City Hopping Pt 2: Philadelphia

Took a personal trip in July to visit friends and sightsee in 4 different US cities. Started in Chicago, then went to Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. Was not out to get really quality/artistic shots, just to photo when I had an opportunity each city. Was also out to enjoy each city’s gay scene (no photos).

My second stop was in Philly (I know VZ just posted a great thread as well, sorry!). Great city, it had been a while. Definitely a grungier city. Very small gay scene centered around Locust and 12th/13th right in Center City (Washington Square West), with a mixed-crowd and an after hours that everyone goes to after 2.

Candidly I spent no time in the South/North/West neighborhoods. Got a good view of the northern side of the city on the way out (Acela), and it looks very very blown out! Very much like the South Side of Chicago, though it looks even worse (with lots of potential, of course). Center City is very lively. What’s different about Philly as opposed to SF, Chicago, New York, and Boston is that Center City/"downtown" serves both as the CBD and the best place to live in the city (arguably). Philadelphia just isn’t a very wealthy city at all, though much of it is concentrated around Center City and Rittenhouse. It’s definitely a city that makes it “cool” to be downtown, and in fact, downtown is where you really want to be in order to be close to many of the best bars/restaurants/entertainment options in the city. The gay scene is also downtown (as opposed to East Lakeview in Chicago, Castro in SF, South End/Dorchester in Boston, and HK/Chelsea in New York).

I just have to comment, though, that as encompassing as downtown is, much of it is entirely pedestrian unfriendly. The south half where Rittenhouse Square is situated and the older neighborhoods are is fine. With narrow streets, crosswalks, grid, etc. The area with many of the office towers, the area around Comcast Center, and the boulevard where the museums, and library are is totally pedestrian unfriendly. The city will have to do something about it. Also, for all of the talk that U City is an extension of Center City, in my opinion it really is not. U City is quite far away, separated by a river and not a very pedestrian friendly walk at all. The buildings in U City are also spread apart, so it’s not really like much of Center City at all, maybe like a shorter version of the northern half of Center City.

Other threads from trip:

Chicago
New York / Boston

1. Journey starts and ends at 30th Street Station, which brings together Acela/Amtrak, SEPTA regional, and SEPTA rapid transit. It is not in the heart of the city and requires a ride either on the subway or a cab. Because of the distance, I personally would not want to office at Cira Center or FMC, or live in Evo. Beautiful and very user friendly station, though (hopefully SF takes a cue to this and the stations in Chicago and Boston).

IMG_6795

2. Narrow Center City streets

IMG_6796

3. Lots of buildings are kind of run down

IMG_6797

IMG_6798

5. Walnut Street, the city’s main shopping street

IMG_6799

6. Looking south on Broad from Walnut

IMG_6800

IMG_6802

IMG_6805

IMG_6806

IMG_6807

IMG_6809

IMG_6810

13. Rittenhouse Square

IMG_6810

IMG_6811

IMG_6812

IMG_6813

IMG_6814

IMG_6816

IMG_6817

IMG_6818

IMG_6819

IMG_6820

IMG_6821

IMG_6822

IMG_6823

IMG_6824

IMG_6825

IMG_6826

IMG_6827

30. These single access driveways serve several homes and are common both in Philly and in England.

IMG_6828

IMG_6829

IMG_6830

IMG_6831

IMG_6832

IMG_6833

IMG_6834

IMG_6835

IMG_6836

39. The old Wanamaker’s, now a Macy’s on only the first 2 floors
IMG_6837

IMG_6838

IMG_6839

IMG_6840

IMG_6842

IMG_6843

45. The Free Library and some other building

IMG_6844

46. The Franklin Institute

IMG_6846

IMG_6847

48. Here you can see the new Mormon Temple under construction

IMG_6848

49. The Philadelphia Museum of Art. They need to keep the Rocky Steps, that ironically seemed like one of the biggest attractions in the city, maybe even bigger than the museum itself. Kind of lame, but something that definitely is unique and appeals to people as a very American thing.

IMG_6849

IMG_6850

51. University City – the building center right is probably my favorite new building in the city.

IMG_6851

IMG_6852

IMG_6853

IMG_6854

IMG_6856

IMG_6857

IMG_6858

IMG_6859

IMG_6860

IMG_6863

61. Graffiti Bar

IMG_6864

Last edited by simms3_redux; Aug 3, 2014 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 10:58 PM
Meh

Nice pics. Looks good to me.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:34 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

I´ve liked your photo tour along Philadelphia. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 4:25 AM

Thanks for sharing, hope you enjoyed your visit.

The building you call possibly your new favorite in Ucity, is a drexel Dorm tower. Funny as new as that picture is the view is totally different today. Lancaster Sq. another Drexel dorm tower would domiate that picture. It really is a massive building for the location. The amount of 300ft buildings going up in Ucity is amazing as it will have its own skyline which might be more impressive than some of the smaller cities.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 4:38 AM

Great pictures, stupid statements. Easy to tell you are from SF.

30th street station is 1.5 miles to city hall, and no more than 1 mile from the bustling parts of center city.

It has the 4th highest walkscore in the country, and unequivocally the most narrow streets, I dunno how that is not pedestrian friendly.

The Macy's in center city is 3 floors, with talk of converting the 4th and 157,000 square feet.

There are a fair amount of run down buildings, not really all that much in center city. North is a disaster, most of South is good. And yes you have missed out on 9/10 gentrifying neighborhoods by staying in center city. Let me guess when you visit NYC you son't go to Brooklyn, too run-down maybe?

Seriously great pics though.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 1:56 PM

^^ I read the OP's comments somewhat differently. The parkway and the surrounding area is not pedestrian friendly – true. The City of Philadelphia lacks the wealth of its peer cities; Boston and SF for example – true. 30th Street Station is not located in the downtown - true.

I actually thought the comments were astute. The only time I get disappointed with feedback is when the person only ventures into one small part of Center City and then assesses the entire downtown based on that small area. Based on the pictures, this wasn’t the case.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
^^ I read the OP's comments somewhat differently. The parkway and the surrounding area is not pedestrian friendly – true.
But this is a very different statement from:

Quote:
that as encompassing as downtown is, much of it is entirely pedestrian unfriendly.
Which is just plain ignorant. If you find much of downtown Philly to be pedestrian unfriendly, then I can't imagine any city in this country that you would deem pedestrian friendly. Philly has plenty of problems, but pedestrian unfriendliness is not one of them.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
But this is a very different statement from:

Which is just plain ignorant. If you find much of downtown Philly to be pedestrian unfriendly, then I can't imagine any city in this country that you would deem pedestrian friendly. Philly has plenty of problems, but pedestrian unfriendliness is not one of them.
But here's the full quote, which is different than pulling out a single sentence:

Quote:
I just have to comment, though, that as encompassing as downtown is, much of it is entirely pedestrian unfriendly. The south half where Rittenhouse Square is situated and the older neighborhoods are is fine. With narrow streets, crosswalks, grid, etc. The area with many of the office towers, the area around Comcast Center, and the boulevard where the museums, and library are is totally pedestrian unfriendly.
I suppose using the word "some" instead of "much" may be more accurate but whatever.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 6:50 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Absolutely awesome pics! Thanks for the photo tour! Nice to see some familiar places through the lens of an outsider.

Not sure what you meant by "a small gay scene". One thing I really enjoy about living in downtown Philadelphia is that gay people are pretty much spread through the fabric of many neighborhoods and are not "collected" into a specific area, or specific neighborhood as much as in other American cities. Of course we still have a gayborhood, which is probably what you are referring to. Here though I feel like gay people are much more integrated than most other places and many restaraunts and bars are considered "gay-straight". I guess what I'm trying to say is that many "straight" people visit "gay" bars and very many "straight" bars are probably 35% gay.

I'm very proud that we are pretty well integrated here.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:17 AM

Philly is the best! Thanx for sharing.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:18 PM

Love Philly

Great pics of one of my favorite cities.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 3:52 PM
Gatinois et fier

beautiful!Philly have very nice architecture.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos