View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:45 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I get what you're saying, but I think that's a different issue. This brouhaha is in large part response to a very specific claim citing 2010 Census numbers that Houston is the most diverse city in the US. Some people like Private Dick have raised valid questions about this claim (e.g., How is diversity being defined? How is diversity being measured?), but I haven't seen much of a response to those questions from the people who keep promulgating it.
Well that's not the fault of any particular forumer unless they work for the Federal Govt or Rice's Kinder Institute and helped to compile the data. If forumers have an issue with that, they should probably write to the government and question their methodology.

I don't mean to always defend Houston either... there's plenty of things I dislike about the city. But it's equally unfair for people to shoot down the tremendous strides of diversity, equality and cultural enrichment that are occurring in Houston as insignificant. The fact that Anglos no longer hold the predominant group in a major US metro (and in Texas) is a big deal. The fact that Houston's Asian population Doubled in 10 years is a big deal. And the fact that by next census, Houston will be majority Hispanic is another one. But for 2010, we have to take the numbers as they stand. The city grew a hell of a lot, and the growth was predominantly Hispanic with some significant accompanying growth in the Asian community. If having a "majority clump" of citizenry is your standard, then Houston doesn't have one. Sounds pretty diverse to me. And that's the basis of the findings. As diverse as NYC, Chicago, and LA may be, they have one race that still maintains a majority, or has a higher percentage in their largest group. That's the study and there's nothing more to read into it.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist