View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 5:01 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
I think based on patterns I've seen in the census commuting data that Baldwin is probably (if current rates continue it will certainly be over the necessary 25%) going to be added back to the Mobile metro (where it belongs). Mobile has been underestimated; the Katrina effect coupled with annexation will certainly counter the numbers currently available. The fact Baldwin does not contribute to Mobile's numbers still astound me to this day.

Another thing to consider however is how the definitions are amended in the next couple of years. Also, if there becomes a "contiguous urban area" definition you could see the Northern Gulf Coast "megalopolis" become reality. The population of that (just a ~50 mile radius of Mobile) would be well into the millions (~1.44 million). This is not a certainty in reality, but would give a closer meaning as to how the Mobile region works.
The whole region is quite complicated indeed. It'll be interesting to see how they change things, cause there are so many things that I can name right off the bat that are questionable.

1) The relationship between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. I really feel like Tuscaloosa MSA should be included in the Birmingham CSA, but I guess the whole weight of Hale and Greene counties kinda keeps Tuscaloosa on its own.

2) Gadsden and Anniston MSAs, maybe the should get a CSA.

3) Infinite other questions.

I feel like such a geek...

EDIT: I do think that they might come up with some definition of a mass of metros, along the lines of what you were mentioning with the contiguous urban areas. In this case I think you could see one or two scenarios:

1) Localized in-state megalopolis: smaller groups of metros that are smaller individual components of grand scale megalopolises. Examples:
A) Birmingham CSA +Tuscaloosa MSA + Decatur-Huntsville CSA + Gadsden MSA + Anniston MSA + the various micros surrounding the area
B) Montgomery CSA + Troy + Selma + etc... you get the point

2) Of course, it's probably more likely that we would see these mass areas anchored by the larger cities like Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Washington, etc... for an example, you can pull up many of the megalopolis articles on Wikipedia.

Who knows.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State