View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well, I would think that since the southern Okanagan is actually milder than southern Ontario throughout the winter (a few locations average highs stay above freezing even in January), and since a few forum members have said that there are a few palms planted in southern Ontario (which I would love to see pics of), it would definitely be possible. But, just like in other locations that are at the extreme fringe of such palm's viability, such as in southern eastern Canada and the northern east coast of the USA, they would likely have to be very well taken care of, and likely planted near the sides of buildings and / or warm air vents or in very sunny southern exposed slopes, and would probably need to be wrapped in the winter or at least heavily mulched. I have seen palms in Kelowna (in the central Okanagan) during the summer but they are in huge hidden planters and are taken to areas of shelter in the winter (I wonder if some of the palms seen in Eastern Canada are also cared for in the same way, and not truly planted outside year round,
I remember seeing a picture of the palm trees in Ontario. They were planted inthe sand in front of a bar at a beach community. The palm trees were more tropical than those in British Columbia. Because of this, they can't stand the cooler weather in Fall and obviously the snow in Winter and die, and then the bar plants new ones every Summer. (A couple places in Dewey Beach, Delaware, also do this, and also have to plant new ones every year.) Since the palm trees die and are replaced, I don't think that it can be said that there are palm trees in Ontario; they are more a temporary decoration than a planting (and likewise, these tropical palms can't be considered in Delaware either).

I've wondered a couple times if hearty palm trees would grow in the grape-growing areas in Ontario, such as in Grimsby and Niagara-On-The-Lake. Grapes can grow there because of the "milder weather/Winters", so what else would work there that wouldn't work in other Canadian areas or even in the northern US?