HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta68 View Post
Has anyone heard when UA is going to renovate and expand the North side of the Gorgas Library? There was a lot of talk about doing it five years ago, but it has definitely been put on hold, if not completely shelved. Here is a youtube animation showing what it was supposed to look like once completed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6FJxlMXD4 But the new Master Plan draft no longer shows the main library getting an expansion. Too bad, cause it looked pretty amazing. That side of the library has needed a renovation for a very long time now.

I also noticed on the new campus master plan map, that the Biology building is to be replaced. According to this map, it also looks like Engineering will get two new buildings just north of Shelby Hall.

To the West side of campus, looks like the Business College will get a new building across from the Bruno building.

http://universitylands.ua.edu/2017-master-plan/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Damn, that would have been awesome if they went forward with that.
What I think the University of moving towards is expanding on their system of multiple, specialized libraries that are in or near the buildings that house that specialty's college. I'm sure Gorgas will be expanded in the future because of the overwhelming need for more space, but I think they've tabled that until it becomes a dire need... which, I would argue is already the case.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 11:03 PM

The E. O. Wilson Biological Sciences Building.

I like it.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
I like it.
Is UA going to give the new Biology building this name? Haven't heard anything about it. But I agree it is a great idea

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 9:10 PM
Cat Enthusiast

If they don't have plans to do so, they should. I don't know if it's because EO Wilson has sought to be a silent champion for the sciences, or if UA just hasn't done what they can to exploit his ties to Alabama.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

UA continues its habit of record breaking enrollment. Fall 2017 enrollment sits at 38,563. LINK

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
UA continues its habit of record breaking enrollment. Fall 2017 enrollment sits at 38,563. LINK

However, freshman class is slightly smaller this Fall than previous Fall, yet Graduate School enrollment is up a good bit. I hope this trend continues.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
However, freshman class is slightly smaller this Fall than previous Fall, yet Graduate School enrollment is up a good bit. I hope this trend continues.
Yea, growth in Grad School enrollment is exactly what the school needs. Now that the school is really turning out graduates, it really needs to focus on growing its research output; with that will come more research dollars and a better education for all the students.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Yea, growth in Grad School enrollment is exactly what the school needs. Now that the school is really turning out graduates, it really needs to focus on growing its research output; with that will come more research dollars and a better education for all the students.
UA hired 140 faculty this last summer and plans to hire hundreds more in the next couple of years. Some of the faculty will be "Big Dog" researchers who will bring millions in funding and other support faculty that have already been working together at other Universities. The growth in research will bring even more prestige to The University of Alabama and create a good number of high tech jobs..

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
UA hired 140 faculty this last summer and plans to hire hundreds more in the next couple of years. Some of the faculty will be "Big Dog" researchers who will bring millions in funding and other support faculty that have already been working together at other Universities. The growth in research will bring even more prestige to The University of Alabama and create a good number of high tech jobs..

I knew they were hiring a lot of new faculty. That will help with rankings since it means a lower student to faculty ratio. I was worried that the hires were largely for adjunct instructors. So hope that what you say will really happen.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 1:24 AM
Cat Enthusiast

In related news, this year UA has added 7 master's programs, 2 doctoral programs (Geography, and Nursing Practices), and 8 graduate concentrations.

LINK

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 4:06 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
In related news, this year UA has added 7 master's programs, 2 doctoral programs (Geography, and Nursing Practices), and 8 graduate concentrations.

LINK
It goes without saying, but I am hoping against all hope that all of this effort in bringing in faculty, students, facilities, and attention really plays out. The University is in a serious state of debt (not yet to the point that it cannot pay) and has an endowment that pales in comparison to its peers.

Now that UA has reached its growth potential, it realllllllly needs to focus on 1) research, 2) student retainment, and 3) growing within its own physical bounds.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
It goes without saying, but I am hoping against all hope that all of this effort in bringing in faculty, students, facilities, and attention really plays out. The University is in a serious state of debt (not yet to the point that it cannot pay) and has an endowment that pales in comparison to its peers.

Now that UA has reached its growth potential, it realllllllly needs to focus on 1) research, 2) student retainment, and 3) growing within its own physical bounds.
Well I agree that it needs to be careful, but it is far from alone. Auburn has virtually the same level of non current liabilities, but Auburn has less assets.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Well I agree that it needs to be careful, but it is far from alone. Auburn has virtually the same level of non current liabilities, but Auburn has less assets.
In todays world all major universities will have massive debt, they have to in order to stay competitive. Looking at their assets can be misleading. A large portion of these assets are their lands and buildings which can't be realistically sold. The other major component is their endowments which mostly can't be touched. One of the key factors to be wary of is the debt service burden. Auburn's (3%ish) is relatively low and UA's (8-9%ish) is relatively high, both are sustainable for now.

UA has to make some kind of push for research dollars though because it is embarrassingly low for the largest University in the state.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
In todays world all major universities will have massive debt, they have to in order to stay competitive. Looking at their assets can be misleading. A large portion of these assets are their lands and buildings which can't be realistically sold. The other major component is their endowments which mostly can't be touched. One of the key factors to be wary of is the debt service burden. Auburn's (3%ish) is relatively low and UA's (8-9%ish) is relatively high, both are sustainable for now.

UA has to make some kind of push for research dollars though because it is embarrassingly low for the largest University in the state.
Would you please tell me where you got that debt service data? I had never heard that before? Why would Auburn have lower debt service rates? It isn't growing as fast as UA has, so what gives?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Would you please tell me where you got that debt service data? I had never heard that before? Why would Auburn have lower debt service rates? It isn't growing as fast as UA has, so what gives?
AU list theirs in their financial reports. UA's was on a bond rating I saw. I will try and find it again.

Auburn's could be lower for a variety of reasons like different interest rates, different types of debt, repayment schedule. The debt service burden looks the % of expenses obligated towards debt service so growth or size doesn't factor in. Having more debt isn't always bad, its if you can afford to pay that debt.

Much of UA's debt is directly related to their growth. Growing fast leads to a lot of borrowing to build facilities to house/teach the students. It is impossible to say if they are in trouble or not without really looking into all the financials. My guess would be they are flirting with it but will be fine.

Correction Auburn's is around 6%

I agree with tascalisa though, I think UA has reached its ideal size and should be pivoting towards research.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 12:13 AM
Cat Enthusiast

From reporting I've read in the past, UA is pretty much at its limit as far as how much debt it can comfortably handle. Bring Bryce into the fold of the campus presented a new challenge, but from my understanding, out-of-state student pop growth is maintaining the University's ability to sustain debt service.

The University knows it has pretty much maxed out, by which I mean, reached the point where it knows it cannot responsibly take on more debt without negatively impacting the University's smooth operations. All of this is to say is that UA is in a safe financial situation where it can continue to grow faculty, undergraduate/graduate population, and continue to maintain reasonable construction that is anticipated/planned.

Over the past 20 years, it would be hard to argue that UA has not undertaken this outstanding level of growth in a responsible way. I think what will be key is where the University goes from here. If we see a stronger focus on hiring quality research faculty that boosts the research capabilities of the University with it maintaining an, essentially, level amount of construction I think we'll be looking at the end goal.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:11 AM

New Five Year Master Plan

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/2...-campus-growth

Biology Building to be torn down and replaced

Gorgas Library to be expanded and renovated within 3 to 4 years

Mary Harmon Bryant Hall to get a renovation and a terrace overlooking Quad (But isn't Nott or Loyd Hall in the way?)

Just a couple of the planned projects.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:14 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/2...-campus-growth

Biology Building to be torn down and replaced

Gorgas Library to be expanded and renovated within 3 to 4 years

Mary Harmon Bryant Hall to get a renovation and a terrace overlooking Quad (But isn't Nott or Loyd Hall in the way?)

Just a couple of the planned projects.
A lot of interesting details in that article.

As far as the terrace on Harmon goes, if I remember correctly, the building is tall enough for the roof to be reconfigured so as to provide a view of The Quad.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
A lot of interesting details in that article.

As far as the terrace on Harmon goes, if I remember correctly, the building is tall enough for the roof to be reconfigured so as to provide a view of The Quad.

As beautiful as UA's campus is, I have always wondered why there wasn't something like that already there. Auburn has a terrace at the top of the Haley Center and it provides a great view of the stadium and campus.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 3:15 PM

Really hope the retail and entertainment is approved in that plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast