HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Maybe you can gift a camera to her if you feel so strongly about it. Or hire a helicopter and take some yourself.
I would gladly take her job and use a real camera while up there!

Trust me, I’m not the only one to gripe about this on the Vancouver forum.

Just seems so odd to have that great opportunity for taking amazing pics, but not just invest in a real camera.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 6:38 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
She takes from good perspectives, but can she fucking buy a real camera by now? Tired of the obvious phone pics and stupid portrait shots.
Wow! What's up? How can one gripe about someone doing their own thing, their own way. Are you really tired of what is a bonus coming from a woman while doing her paid job.

My take is: always appreciate every single poster of photos - they are 75% of this whole site.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 12:35 PM
I am the law!

I understand Metro One frustration but, yeah, she is going off script to take these photos. Have you tried contacting her? It's unfortunate someone with a unique vantage and is nice enough to sharing it with everyone but, produced fuzzy imagery

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I have to see that housing development in streetview.
It is a trippy view of the Port Royal development from the air (the one I assume you meant with the very cookie cutter looking houses). In person at street level, it is actually a very pretty development, with a healthy mix of all housing types (SF, row house, apartments (condos and rentals). And the location is gorgeous, surrounded by water on all sides, and even has a little water ferry connection to mainland New West quay across the river. But my favourite part (maybe I'm just weird) is how it exists right beside industry still active. The Fraser is very much a working river, and from the tip of Queensborough (Port Royal) you can really see it. There's a huge auto import facility across the river which gets massive RoRo ships. There's the ubiquitous Fraser log booms moored right in front of the apartments, and a wood products transload depot to the west. My favourite part though is an active train line running right through the development, it adds character and avoids it seeming too Stepford-y (ie. how it looks from above). There is a high-rise at the very tip of the peninsula, aptly named "The Peninsula" but otherwise all building form is very street friendly, and no more than 5 stories. Queensborough is a very odd little neighbourhood, but it has an appreciable vibe. A part of New West but geographically separated by the river.

Because of this post, I looked up New West stats and was surprised just how fast it has grown. 81% growth since the 1991 census, that's very impressive on its own. But even more impressive is that by 1991, the city was already fully built out more or less (the city has a very small land mass that has been very urban for a long time). So that 81% growth has been through densification and infill of an already urban city. The result is a population density of 5,052.4/km2, second only to Vancouver (5,749.9/km2) for highest in Canada. But to have such a high growth rate in an established, already dense urban space is quite the feat.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:52 PM
I am the law!

It looked like houses parking in a parking lot in the air photo. Pretty standard laneway infill subdivision with pretty west coast, craftsman inspired architecture on streetview. What looks like a secondary suite / ADU over the rear yard garage is not something I've seen in Toronto.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 7:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:04 AM

^^ epic sloooow pan. Thanks for posting.

Love this ultra-dense moment (screenshot):

UT

Imagine SkyTower in this shot (just right of the CN Tower). SkyTower will appear at least as tall as the CN Tower "donut" from this angle.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 1:44 PM

A couple more.

Yonge and Bloor

Video Link

Mississauga

McMansions vs. towers ;-)

Video Link

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:58 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 5:30 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
McMansions vs. towers ;-)
McTowers? (saying this as someone who lives in a city where mushrooms of that type have been sprouting)

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:31 AM

Toronto at Night
Video Link

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:56 AM

Great Toronto videos - that last night one was really well done and felt fresh.

I took a few skyline shots while there last week, sharing a few here, many more pics in this thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=10237

View From CN Tower - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

View From CN Tower - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:47 AM

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:49 PM
I am the law!

Great shot of Toronto's Entertainment District

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
There's a nice skyline view on the other side.

3/4 of a million for that dump?!? Edmonton is turning into a crazy market too (unless that's a case of seller's wishful thinking?)

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 3:42 PM
I am the law!

That ain't no dump. It's absurd to use the d word. Second floor ceilings heights are low however, the spacious kitchen and bathroom make up for it. I could see this going for in the mid to high ones in an average Toronto neighbourhhood which makes the 3/4 of a million a respective bargain.

Still curious. Is a shack interchangeable with a dump or worst than a dump?

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:20 PM

@nite

Hands down the best I’ve seen (fab editing, drone shots & music)… and despite the 7 minute run time, quite mesmerizing. Thanks.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 8:18 PM
MTL♥

Whoaaaaa sick. !! It’s simply beautiful

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

3/4 of a million for that dump?!? Edmonton is turning into a crazy market too (unless that's a case of seller's wishful thinking?)
You and I have very different definitions on a dump. Thats a pretty big home that appears to be in good shape (minus garage) in a central area just a short walk from the U of A and Whyte. 750k is a fair price in Edmonton for that home. Comparables would easily be over 1000k in any other big city in Canada.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 10:08 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Yeah the house looks great. Perhaps lio has become very posh from his real estate proceeds. Either that or he watches a lot of HGTV. Those HGTV people are funny sometimes. "Well the kitchen and bathroom were hopelessly outdated and looked like something right out of 2015! We had no choice but to spend $75k to completely gut and redo it before moving in just to make it livable"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada