Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I walked by late last night and crews were hard at work. Round the clock I suppose.
It's 11pm and concrete trucks are lined up:

Looks like they've been pouring since 8pm tonight.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskythelimit View Post
Hmmm, rumors. Would you like to share?
Maybe you can Google it?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:05 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Maybe you can Google it?
These are of the variety that cannot be Googled

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:11 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
It's 11pm and concrete trucks are lined up:

Looks like they've been pouring since 8pm tonight.
They are pouring caissons. Technically by SSP standards this tower is UC (especially since we moved 181 Fremont to UC from Proposed once it was visually proven they were pouring caissons). I mentioned a while back (maybe a month or more) that the caissons for TB Tower are even deeper and "more record setting" than the caissons for 181 Fremont. There hasn't been as much press about it, though, but the two towers are in the same "phase" and are pouring caissons before commencing excavation. I believe there is a lot of coordination that has to occur with the TBJPA/construction of the Transbay Terminal next door (where they have actually begun structural west of 1st).

All I can comfortably say judging from the rumors I have heard (and I work in the industry for a competing firm to BP/Hines/any other owner/operator of office towers and larger assets in the city) is that all of the proposed or UC space that isn't committed right now will likely be committed within a year. This is all of the space in the city, TB Tower, 181 Fremont, 222 Second, 535 Mission, etc etc. As has been alluded to on BP's earnings calls, SF's office market is like nothing their CEO/founder (Mort Zuckerman, the Zuckerman) has ever seen.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:39 PM

Someone get a daytime pic of the caissons and let's move this baby to U/C

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 7:42 PM

Looks like its UC! Here we go!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
They are pouring caissons. Technically by SSP standards this tower is UC (especially since we moved 181 Fremont to UC from Proposed once it was visually proven they were pouring caissons). I mentioned a while back (maybe a month or more) that the caissons for TB Tower are even deeper and "more record setting" than the caissons for 181 Fremont. There hasn't been as much press about it, though, but the two towers are in the same "phase" and are pouring caissons before commencing excavation. I believe there is a lot of coordination that has to occur with the TBJPA/construction of the Transbay Terminal next door (where they have actually begun structural west of 1st).

All I can comfortably say judging from the rumors I have heard (and I work in the industry for a competing firm to BP/Hines/any other owner/operator of office towers and larger assets in the city) is that all of the proposed or UC space that isn't committed right now will likely be committed within a year. This is all of the space in the city, TB Tower, 181 Fremont, 222 Second, 535 Mission, etc etc. As has been alluded to on BP's earnings calls, SF's office market is like nothing their CEO/founder (Mort Zuckerman, the Zuckerman) has ever seen.
!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:24 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Transbay Tower tester facade:

More: http://www.sfhog.com/transbay-tower-teaser-spotted/
Wow, add me to the list of members impressed. Looks absolutely gorgeous, almost like a mirror! If this is the way its going to look, I'm even more excited than I was before to see it rise

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 2:24 PM

That tester facade is gorgeous! Will be difficult to keep clean over the course of a year but beautiful nonetheless!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 5:07 PM

Looks like each pane of glass has a manually operable louver, an architectural feature I was not aware of before.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 6:24 PM

This is a neat tower that would only work in this city. I couldn't see Philly with this type of tower or NYC, ect. It fits will with San Fran. I just wish they would make it a foot taller than W. Grand tower in LA. Kind of like. 'Its our turn to rule the state in tallest.'

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 9:56 PM
Build Baby Build

Transbay Tower doesn't need to be taller than anything else. A title like that is ephemeral. The height and present design of the project is perfect and is not changing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Transbay Tower doesn't need to be taller than anything else. A title like that is ephemeral. The height and present design of the project is perfect and is not changing.
For San Francisco's purposes it's by far the tallest building in the city and the second tallest west of the Mississippi. This also does not bar a future taller building from going up in the city. I wouldn't worry, San Francisco is not going to disappoint, and for good reason being the country's tech hub.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:10 PM

I will be in SF on Thursday and Friday and I will try to get pictures of the construction site.
What exactly should I be looking for to be able to qualify this for U/C?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 7:38 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I will be in SF on Thursday and Friday and I will try to get pictures of the construction site.
What exactly should I be looking for to be able to qualify this for U/C?
It isn't truly upcoming until its all been dug, its foundation has been poured, and the floors are going vertical. Anything less without an announcement is still a tease. I simply don't believe that caisson installations should mean a structure is officially rising. To me that is still just a prep phase. Still, take many many pictures anyway for the sake of it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:10 PM

181 Fremont is U/C with the same criteria (caissons pounded into the ground) which is why I was under the impression that the same could be said in this case. I'll get progress pics of 181 Fremont too. I'm excited.. I'm such a development geek And there isn't anything going on in Sacramento that's for damn sure.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 9:56 PM
She needs her space

You won't be able to see anything with the TB Tower.

181 Fremont is a smaller site, shorter tower, and months further along. It will commence excavation soon and be done with that in a short while, given the small size of the site. TB Tower still has months of caissons followed by probably 2-4 months of digging...and then we'll get to the foundation. Although it hasn't taken long at all for 201 Folsom to come out of its large/deep hole with 2 towers and 2 mid-rises. Maybe that means hope that once 181 and TB Tower are dug and poured, they'll be up out of the hole in no time.

Get pictures of 45 Lansing, 399 Fremont, Mission St projects, 222 Second, and 299 Fremont. Those are highly active, much more visible projects. Same with SFMOMA expansion, and even Transbay Terminal, which has serious structure being built west of 1st.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
It isn't truly upcoming until its all been dug, its foundation has been poured, and the floors are going vertical. Anything less without an announcement is still a tease. I simply don't believe that caisson installations should mean a structure is officially rising. To me that is still just a prep phase. Still, take many many pictures anyway for the sake of it.
Caissons are structural components of a building. They are just as integral and important to the structure as an I-beam on the 50th floor.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:06 PM
Build Baby Build

Digging dirt and laying foundation is just as important as burying caissons, its all necessary to the project and this is understood. What I don't understand is why the caissons in particular indicate U/C, instead of some other qualifier.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:24 PM
She needs her space

Some documentation of stuff going in at the site (from http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...ssion-camera):

1:23 PM Monday, working with a smaller machine to drill a hole:

7:23 PM Monday, some welding or flames, not sure what's going on here:

8:11 PM Monday:

2:11 AM Tuesday, they swap out the little rig for a larger one and the crane looks to be picking up a piece of steel from that pile visible during daylight:

9:23 AM Tuesday, same thing except now after a couple days working with the smaller rig, they have brought in the larger one to complete the job:

Job done, rig pulling away - but note the pile of steel in the bottom center of the picture:

Now what's interesting and difficult to capture with stills is the big crawler crane lifting some of that steel from that pile and elsewhere and lowering into the hole, but pay attention closely:

12:12 AM Wednesday (today):

1:00 AM Wednesday (a different steel beam):

1:06 AM Wednesday - notice the "dot" above the hole at the edge of the light - that is the marker on the crane cable as the steel is lowered into the hole:

3:13 AM Wednesday, the crane hovering over the visible pile of steel likely to pick one up:

4:50 AM Wednesday

7:21 AM Wednesday the cement trucks arrive for a pour:

8:27 AM Wednesday:

10:22 AM Wednesday:

11:22 AM Wednesday:

Notice how the same scenario is playing out over at 181 Fremont...I documented that as well on that thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture