HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:37 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Smile CLEVELAND - Just going to leave this right here

I was having some technical difficulties posting these pics from the end of 2016 but better late than never, right? It's going to be a while before I have a chance to put together another photo thread - fortunately it's because I'm officially under contract to author a second book about Cleveland architecture; hopefully publishing in the fall. Until next time, feel free to check out clevelandskyscrapers.com and instagram.com/clevelandskyscrapers

In my mind, the Cleveland National Airshow officially kicks off the summer - my husband took the first two pics, not shabby if I don’t say so myself

LAND Studio (formerly Cleveland Public Art) coordinated with the Cracking Art Group to install these oversized technicolor animal sculptures around town. I was skeptical at first but once I saw how people responded to them (especially at Public Square with kids climbing all over them), these were definitely a success:

After the Hilton was completed, the area was missing construction cranes - fortunately the Edge at CSU and One University Circle remedied that; views from Progressive Field:

I suppose it was a Good Year for Cleveland -

One notable construction project that may not have changed the skyline but was certainly significant in its own right was the completion of the George Voinovich/Innerbelt Bridge. The opening ceremony had plenty of dignitaries offering tributes, etc. - I was more focused on the views from the bridge. One nice touch was the southern span is higher than the northern span to provide a better view of the skyline for motorists:

I guess everyone took an Uber that day:

Back down to a more pedestrian level and a walk across the Hope Memorial/Lorain-Carnegie Bridge:

I’m a regular at the Market so this is an “everyone and their brother” shot but normally I’m too busy getting my shopping done to stop up on the balcony and take it all in:

And just some pics around Lorain Avenue:

The Cleveland Museum of Art had some amazing exhibitions in honor of their Centennial celebration. One of the exhibits where photography was permitted - “Art and Stories from Mughal India”.

The Asian/India collection features these small illustrations and they have magnifying glasses to really see the details - how they managed to have such ridiculously precise detail without modern technology...?

Another special exhibit - jewelry from the Wade Family (they of Wade Oval - the street where many University Circle institutions reside; Jeptha Wade founded Western Union):

Of course - the Indians in the World Series ... between the parade for the Monsters/Stipe Miocic and that basketball team - I’m hardly a sports bar “bruh” but the uplifting vibe from all that was palpable:

If someone told me ten years ago, I’d ever see this in Cleveland, I’d have laughed like Tom Hanks in the ‘Money Pit’ bathtub scene (google it):

Of course it didn’t hurt to have the overlap with the World Series and Cavs opening:

While we’re on an upnote:

As the year went on I didn’t get many opportunities for photos, but some family visiting had never been to the Cleveland History Center (Western Reserve Historical Society). Not being a native Clevelander, neither had I so what the heck. They had an exhibit about Bob Hope and his career, and we took a tour of the facility, comprised of interconnected mansions and additions. I think everyone of a certain age in the Great Lakes region had a local amusement park in town - growing up near Youngstown, I went to Idora but for Cleveland, Euclid Beach Park was one of the big players. They rebuilt and installed the Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel - I think I may have seen a tear or two in the eyes of the expatriates with us.

Interior courtyard:

Tiffany window salvaged from a Euclid Avenue church:

Highlights from the Bob Hope exhibit:

The Hay Mansion:

Considering the political climate isn’t unlike an amusement ride, I think it’s appropriate to wrap this thread up accordingly:

Hope you enjoyed!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos