HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

New apartments on west grey right next to downtown

These last two are for the new high school going up on west grey and Taft.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

Galleria area updates.

Skanska tower

Bbva

The millennium apartments behind bbva

New apartment tower on brownway street.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 6:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Some idiots a couple weeks ago shot up the new apple store and a few other stores along westheimer and theyve put up these black panels until they fix them. This is why we can't have nice things in Houston, ugh.

Along westheimer near the galleria.

Infill is going strong in H town these days.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
She needs her space

^^^That's really really bad. First Apple ever store to be shot up?

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 10:45 PM

Is that a suburban type shopping center the high street development is being built on top of? You would think they would try to make it somewhat urban.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:00 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yes it has a big ugly parking lot in front unfortunately.

I saw this on my way back home tonight, a little bit more of historic montrose lost to ugly ass suburban tin condos.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:02 AM

Read on HAIF that this 35-story jewel may break ground next month according to ''sources.'' We can only hope! So much construction going on right now!!

Exxon (multiple midrises), Anadarko (31-stories), BBVA tower (22-stories), Courtyard on Richmond (22-stories) and now this. There's about half a dozen other highrise projects that may get off the ground sometime this year. Cool!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

Along westheimer near the galleria.
There are a few of these type of developments, some in the loop and some west of uptown. It's Houston's evolving development.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:45 AM

Midtown Arts Center Interim Design Review: How Do You Like It Now?

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO’S LAKE Flato Architects and Houston’s Studio Red have completed what they’re calling a schematic design for the new 59,000-sq.-ft. Midtown arts center planned for the full city block at 3400 Main St., adjacent to the Ensemble/HCC light-rail stop.

Cross Section

Breezeway

Interestingly...

Quote:
The complex is meant to share a parking garage with a retail development planned for up the street. “There is much to share and discuss,” announce the IAC’s design-discussion-group facilitators on Facebook.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Is that a suburban type shopping center the high street development is being built on top of? You would think they would try to make it somewhat urban.
It's definitively semi-urban. Looking at the actual project it will have a 1-2 story, small retail building with a row of parking in the front and around the building. The residential will have parking under it.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:14 PM
disorient yourself?

It's official,

According to today's HBJ, Mac Haik is planning to start construction on Tower III (I-10 @ Kirkwood) in July. At this rate the Katy Freeway is going to start looking like the West Loop.

Article link:
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/p...dor-tower.html

If i'm not mistaken, that makes approximately 26 office buildings proposed or u/c in the metro area right now.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:52 PM

From Swamplot: 2900 Weslayan!

HERE’S A BETTER look at the 35-story designed-in-Dallas residential tower PM Realty Group is putting on the northeast corner of Weslayan and West Alabama, where the State Grille and rebel predecessor Confederate House stood until a few years ago. Inside, at last report: 250-ish fancy apartments, a 3,000-sq.-ft. fitness center, a parking garage attached at the belly, and 12,500 sq. ft. of restaurant space on a bottom floor or two. The tower is being called either 2900, 2801, or 2800 Weslayan, depending on whether you follow that sign posted on the property earlier this year, a recent correction applied to it (below), or the project’s bid documents, which went out late last month and are due soon.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 8:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

Holy crap! That better get built, its about time Houston got a building that stood out architecturally again.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:24 PM

One of the most architecturally interesting buildings to be built in Houston in a long, long time.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:25 PM
Editor

That rendering seems to show 39 or 40 floors. Maybe the 35 just refers to the floors with apartments? In another rendering the balconies seemed to just have a clear blue glass railing. I can't tell what kind of material this newest rendering is supposed to be. Maybe it is just the angle/resolution/lighting that makes it look different.

Also a couple people on HAIF seem to have heard that it will break ground in June.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:28 AM

Very impressive. If it turns out looking that good, it will be my new favorite building in Houston. Thus far my favorites have been the black/silver buildings on Post Oak in Uptown. They were built in the 70s.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Holy crap! That better get built, its about time Houston got a building that stood out architecturally again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfastx View Post
One of the most architecturally interesting buildings to be built in Houston in a long, long time.
You don't think Main Place is a great looking building?

photolitherland

Jax

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 4:58 AM

It's similar to Aqua in Chicago.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 12:13 PM

I love the design of 2900 Wesleyan and was really excited up until now. It has been noted the initial rendering shows clear blue glass on the balconies. The latest rendering show that dreaded beige stucco type coloring, particularly on the lower corner units.

If we were in Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, or New York, I don't believe I would be so concerned. In Houston, the second rendering is probably more realistic. This design is so significant for Houston, my hopes were for it to be the "game changer". I was hopeful this one would break through and end the cycle. Then I see this and it appears to be yet another highly visible Houston project that "cheapens out" aesthetically once again. I pray I am wrong. The entire skin should be clear blue or reflective glass simply because that is what I want and what I want is the only thing that matters.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 5:07 PM
Ex Houstonian

New development on Washington and sawyer in the old 6th ward.

Here it is in the upper right hand side from the Chase Tower a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by photoLith; May 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations