HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 1:39 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitekKetin View Post
If Bender's Shipyard files for bankruptcy, perhaps the State can swoop in and buy the property. A development deal could be struck with the City, giving us an extension of the waterfront and a couple of sites for the proposed bridge's approach ramps.
Sounds like a plan ! Bender is that company that relocated from New Orleans right ?

Oh well they need to renovate the darn thing then Phoinex !!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 2:00 PM

Finally some exciting news on this project!

Map of proposed routes can be found here: http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/on_the_mo...ridge_Proposal

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
Sounds like a plan ! Bender is that company that relocated from New Orleans right ?

As much as I dont like losing industry(especially during a recession), it would be really cool if Bender clsoing led to more public/private development on the riverfront. Hopefully nothing but positive things comes out of all of this bridge stuff. If we get a bridge, it better be a good looking one like the new one in Charleston. I was not a huge fan of the Mayors proposal to build a bridge and just cover it in colored lights.

"Jones said the city will have some input in the design and added that he wants to make it beautiful. He said one idea could include putting colorful lights up and down the spans to match with the spire of the RSA Tower office building downtown. "
http://www.al.com/news/press-registe...l=3&thispage=2

Maybe you guys were right with you claims of "Rainbow City" a few weeks back.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 2:52 PM

I know that funding is a bit tight, but it would be great if the DOT got Santiago Calatrava to do the design work, then Mobile would have an aesthetically pleasing signature bridge.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
Seriously... there's gotta be a way to make a bridge that is tall enough to get over that river without hurting shipping business. There are bridges all around the country that are tall enough, why can't we build one? I've seen a lot of them, and they don't detract from the skyline, they enhance it.

I've heard that this will be one of the highest bridges in the US. Somewhere in the top 10, I think.

Last edited by Bayside; Jun 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 8:09 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyapp View Post
Finally some exciting news on this project!

Map of proposed routes can be found here: http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/on_the_mo...ridge_Proposal
I like plan C better but if it`s going to be a signiture bridge that will inhance the skyline then i`ll also go for plan A aswell.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 8:16 PM
Cat Enthusiast

They should just go ahead and tear down that civic center. Obviously, it's way beyond its prime. I can almost promise you that tearing it down would benefit the city. Take away that venue, then it will be obvious that the city needs another one. A private developer will see the opportunity and many developers will be clamoring to build a large world class facility.

As for the bridge, look at all the cities that have their signature bridges. There are very few that don't have good nightlife. That's mainly because people like to look at those bridges, and they feel like the downtown area is more vibrant and fun. Plus, you get people driving through town, they see the bridge and think "Hey, this must be a pretty cool place. I wish I could see this every night on my way home."

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 9:14 PM
amateur urbanite

I still think we should hold off on demolishing the Civic Center. Just renovate it instead. While it may seem like a good idea right now to have it gone, what about later, say 20-30 years down the road? Downtown needs a place for large performances, even if it is under-used right now. But, something has got to happen with that monstrous parking lot. Turn it into an Atlantic Stn type place with a parking garage(s).

As for Bel Air (yeah that was kind of awhile back there) I think an open-air center would nice. I would just want it more urban than the ESC: Make it dense with on street parking and absolutely no huge parking lots, use a grid with blocks instead of winding streets, and while you're at it make it mixed-use and built up. I mean, there are already a couple towers on the edges, so I don't think it sounds too crazy... Of course I would really want all that downtown.

Oh, and as for the bridge, I prefer route C. Those others are just too close to Ft Conde.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 9:52 PM

I am sad to say it, but today is my last day living in Mobile. My wife and I officially move to Columbus Ga tomorrow. I have enjoyed talking Mobile development with yall over the last couple of years. I will still follow things going on here on the forum so yall keep the pictures and stuff coming.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimsjus View Post
I am sad to say it, but today is my last day living in Mobile. My wife and I officially move to Columbus Ga tomorrow. I have enjoyed talking Mobile development with yall over the last couple of years. I will still follow things going on here on the forum so yall keep the pictures and stuff coming.
Nimsjus,

I wish you and wife the best in Columbus. You are going to a great city that is doing a lot of development in their downtown area especially along the fabulous Riverwalk. I was just there last week.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I am now living in Tallahassee but keep up-to-date on Mobile via this forum. Since most of my family is still in Mobile, I get back to the city every few months.

Anyway, I hope you will continue to be a contributor. You have been a key member on this forum.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:20 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Yeah I wish you guys the best !

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:15 AM
Mobile, Alabama

Quote:
I am surely going to miss your photography...wish you could leave me the cam. Hope you and the fam the best!!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:33 AM
All things are possible

The Bridge ...The Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Porpoise View Post
Or perhaps we could just not build the bridge. I have a good feeling I might be in the minority on that one.
Yes EP, you do have a "good feeling."

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:49 AM
All things are possible

Quote:
I will miss your insight on Mobile. I hope you and your family will one day come back to live in Mobile...it will be a city you helped build. Take care.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:51 AM
All things are possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post

It's International Shipholding who moved back to Mobile. Bender has been here for at least 50 years.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 6:46 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMobile View Post
I was downtown tonight and drove up St. Francis looking for the site of the demolished building. That was the old House of Specialties building. In my opinion it is no loss for the city. I could see that they had salvaged the old brick. I can tell you for sure that the inside looked like a rundown rental house the last time I was there. With the adjacent parking lot and the land of the building there is at least room to build something much better. I don't know what is planned for the site.
Found some plans for that site (354 Saint Francis St)

http://www.downtownmobile.org/images...wn_details.pdf

Development news from that newsletter:

The Red Square Agency is also looking to the future with
an eye toward expansion. The advertising agency recently
purchased a parking lot at the corner of Conti and
Conception Streets. For the short term, the lot will handle
the parking needs of the growing company, and whatever
the long term plans are...we're sure they will be innovative
and edgy!
---
The building at 354 St. Francis Street is being
demolished to make way for a new development featuring
seven upscale apartments. The developers of the project
are local.

---
It takes a while to fill 500,000 square feet of office space,
but the RSA tower is getting close to being leased out.
The law firm of Burr & Forman LLP, currently located in
west Mobile, has leased an entire floor and plans to move
in by the end of the year.
---
Another law firm, Delashmet & Marchand, has moved
into a newly renovated building in the 400 block of
Dauphin Street. You'll see a bar when you enter the
offices...a vestige of the building's former life as a night
club.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:07 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Good to hear about downtown infill. The day we see development on the north side of downtown will be the day of complete change for the heart of our city.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:52 PM
Transport Planner

What happened to the idea of tearing down the overpass on waterstreet? Did it get shot down? That would be HEAVEN for the Conde area and the Civic Center....not to mention the water front.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 3:32 PM
surely you're not serious

Bridge opponent promises to fight

http://www.al.com/news/press-registe...530.xml&coll=3

Friday, June 12, 2009 By DAN MURTAUGH
Staff Reporter

An opponent of a proposed Interstate 10 bridge said Thursday that there will "no doubt be litigation" if the state highway department chooses any route south of downtown Mobile.

"If they won't reconsider and look at a northern route, then in that case, there would no doubt be litigation," Mobile attorney Bob Edington said. "It would tie up the project for several years, and eventually the government will get tired of fooling with us."

On Wednesday, Mobile Mayor Sam Jones announced his... Continue with story

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 3:47 PM
All things are possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
What happened to the idea of tearing down the overpass on waterstreet? Did it get shot down? That would be HEAVEN for the Conde area and the Civic Center....not to mention the water front.
That might be a while since we are talking about placing the bridge. Looking at an aerial map there would become a lot of open area around Ft. Conde with far less traffic if the ramp is removed. I think it would be removed after the bridge is placed by popular demand. That ramp is about as badly designed as the entry to the tunnel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast