Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:23 PM

I seriously wish people like Sheila Tyson weren't on the Bham city council

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:45 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
http://abc3340.com/news/local/crossp...ime-for-review
Another plan for the Crossplex by developer Bob Nesbitt. 'Crossplex Village'. I think this will be the next big thing for Birmingham.
Yeah, but they must've rejected it based on the city taking on too much of the risk. That story is from several months ago. I wonder what the "risk" split was with Uptown because it was obviously a success, but this area presents more challenges I think.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, but they must've rejected it based on the city taking on too much of the risk. That story is from several months ago. I wonder what the "risk" split was with Uptown because it was obviously a success, but this area presents more challenges I think.
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...plex-plan.html
According to this article from the BBJ from March 2016, City Council approved the deal and the city should have already started putting in the infrastructure and construction should start at the end of 2016.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 12:25 AM
Cat Enthusiast

OMG, all of the development in downtown is causing my morning commutes to give me a headache. In a good way, I guess.

Good lord, I cannot drive (or even walk) a few blocks without having to avoid construction.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 4:35 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...plex-plan.html
According to this article from the BBJ from March 2016, City Council approved the deal and the city should have already started putting in the infrastructure and construction should start at the end of 2016.
Lols. I think I quoted that same article on another forum. The date of the other link threw me off.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Lols. I think I quoted that same article on another forum. The date of the other link threw me off.

A newer article from Weld of Birmingham.

http://weldbham.com/blog/2016/07/29/...st-birmingham/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 12:02 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Don't get too discouraged about the Crossplex development. I personally know that there are utility issues. Let's keep in mind that this is an older part of town that was hastily built during Birmingham's boom years.

I doubt that developers are shying away because of income and crime, it's probably just that dealing with infrastructure is difficult.

Remember the main argument for the Historic Tax Credit that it was needed because historic properties have unforeseen issues? Same thing with Crossplex, the city has to recruit while utilities try and scramble to assess their facilities and adjust as the city wants them to.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
A newer article from Weld of Birmingham.

http://weldbham.com/blog/2016/07/29/...st-birmingham/

A better photo of what is being proposed for the Crossplex area.

http://weldbham.com/wp-content/uploa...MasterPlan.jpg

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 12:30 PM

One more steps towards TopGolf

Never really understood why Bham never had it. It's always been a great golf town. Anyways, they're right. If this gets developed around Uptown would be a huge boom.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 7:47 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
One more steps towards TopGolf

Never really understood why Bham never had it. It's always been a great golf town. Anyways, they're right. If this gets developed around Uptown would be a huge boom.
For one thing it is real entertainment. When they announced the tenants of the first phase of Uptown I could not help but feel a little disappointed because I envisioned something more than just a bunch of restaurants. I figured they were very important and necessary but just thought there would be more than just that. Now, with a real attraction, this district can really start to take off

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 10:56 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
For one thing it is real entertainment. When they announced the tenants of the first phase of Uptown I could not help but feel a little disappointed because I envisioned something more than just a bunch of restaurants. I figured they were very important and necessary but just thought there would be more than just that. Now, with a real attraction, this district can really start to take off
I agree 100%. This in conjunction with what is already at Uptown creates an actual entertainment district. I like that they avoided the area destined for whatever stadium facility happens near the BJCC.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:54 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I agree 100%. This in conjunction with what is already at Uptown creates an actual entertainment district. I like that they avoided the area destined for whatever stadium facility happens near the BJCC.
Exactly. Even though the liklyhood of an MPF is dwindling, at least it hasn't been totally ruled out by new construction.

This old video is outdated in many of its claims, but a lot of did/has/will come true. At the 1:00 mark you can see what they had envisioned for Uptown as it bordered a 60,000 seat MPF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0F-5c7Me3I

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Even though the liklyhood of an MPF is dwindling, at least it hasn't been totally ruled out by new construction.

This old video is outdated in many of its claims, but a lot of did/has/will come true. At the 1:00 mark you can see what they had envisioned for Uptown as it bordered a 60,000 seat MPF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0F-5c7Me3I
Would they really change i-20/59 into downtown like that?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 12:13 PM

City approves new energy efficiency plan

Quote:
The Birmingham City Council on Tuesday approved a multimillion dollar partnership with Trane U.S. Inc. for massive retrofits in city-owned buildings aiming to improve energy efficiency.

As we previously reported, the deal would last 18 years and carry a cost of more than $61 million, plus the annual performance period service price just north of $525,000. The city will pay for the overhauls directly from immediate energy and operational savings, which is estimated at more than $102 million. Under the agreement, Birmingham is set to see an annual adjustment rate of 3 percent

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:03 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Would they really change i-20/59 into downtown like that?
No, but it was at least thought about for a while. It was ruled out because of cost. But they are still fighting over it in court...to move it to Finley though, burying it still out of the question AFAIK.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:58 AM

Land is being cleared on 10th Avenue South near UAB's Business and Engineering Complex for phase 2 of University Flats apartments.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:07 PM
The Salty Ham

Another step closer for this long awaited project.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...art_river_home

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:12 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:40 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I can't deny that this is what the BJCC needs.

I was worried that the stadium would be some tiny 30,000 seat stadium... This one promises a stadium capable of holding 55,000, and from the looks of it, there is room for expansion if needed. It's easily a proper stadium for a potential MLS team. Looks like some great planning has taken place.

I was extremely pleased to see that Legacy Arena will get a major overhaul... If the arena is going to see a renovation/expansion that is over $100 million it could become NBA quality. Populous has outdone themselves without breaking the bank. 2 facilities capable of supporting professional franchises for the price of around $300 Million? That is phenomenal!

Can't wait to see how the board executes the master plan!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I can't deny that this is what the BJCC needs.

I was worried that the stadium would be some tiny 30,000 seat stadium... This one promises a stadium capable of holding 55,000, and from the looks of it, there is room for expansion if needed. It's easily a proper stadium for a potential MLS team. Looks like some great planning has taken place.

I was extremely pleased to see that Legacy Arena will get a major overhaul... If the arena is going to see a renovation/expansion that is over $100 million it could become NBA quality. Populous has outdone themselves without breaking the bank. 2 facilities capable of supporting professional franchises for the price of around $300 Million? That is phenomenal!

Can't wait to see how the board executes the master plan!
I love this proposal, I just hate that this is going to be spread out over 20 years. This is something we need now and perhaps should have been done. If only I was a Billionaire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast