HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Wow.
from the link, it says that this is located in Huntsville, so that means that this cant be at Town Madison correct?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 1:14 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownhsvguy View Post
from the link, it says that this is located in Huntsville, so that means that this cant be at Town Madison correct?
technically that is correct, but that might not mean much. This is a strange project, supposedly it will be complete 2017, They better get started soon.
What location would this "fit". Redstone Gateway, Town Madison, Research Park, I-565/County Line?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 11:42 PM
Cat Enthusiast

My thoughts went to Redstone Gateway when I first saw it. Too urban to be County Line, too shiny to be Town Madison

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 1:56 PM

I tried to post the picture but couldn't get it to resize so I will just post the link.

I think The Oasis will be part of the Exploration Park that has been proposed for the land the Arsenal is selling the Space and Rocket Center. The "Patriot Park" layout looks very similar.

Not sure how I feel about the development overall and if this is the location it seems like an odd fit. Maybe the USSRC is looking for a more signature hotel than the Marriott next door.

http://media.al.com/news_huntsville_...72ab6f195e.jpg

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
I tried to post the picture but couldn't get it to resize so I will just post the link.

I think The Oasis will be part of the Exploration Park that has been proposed for the land the Arsenal is selling the Space and Rocket Center. The "Patriot Park" layout looks very similar.

Not sure how I feel about the development overall and if this is the location it seems like an odd fit. Maybe the USSRC is looking for a more signature hotel than the Marriott next door.

http://media.al.com/news_huntsville_...72ab6f195e.jpg
ooh yea, you may be on to something.. looks like it fits the property layout..

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
My thoughts went to Redstone Gateway when I first saw it. Too urban to be County Line, too shiny to be Town Madison
I think you may be right about Redstone Gateway and if The Oasis is located there, then it will be located just west of the Boeing office buildings with its major frontage to the north on I-565. Specifically here: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7031.../data=!3m1!1e3

The reason I say that is if you look at the pictures on the project website, http://www.ddpllc.com/the-oasis-concept-to-completion

scroll through to the 6th picture and you will see a highway behind the 5 story office building and another road that curves around behind the parking lot. I think the major road with traffic is I-565 and the road near the parking lot is the exit ramp to the Arsenal. The road in the distance behind the trees is Rideout Rd. going into the Arsenal.

However, I think there could be a significant obstacle to this being approved and that is getting the approval of the Commanding General of the Arsenal. When Redstone Gateway was originally proposed it was sold as a way to provide office space for contractors, like Boeing, who were doing business at RSA. (This was in conjunction with BRAC). The Commanding General made it clear that this is still Redstone Arsenal and that its purpose was to further the mission of RSA. Therefore, I'm not so sure that there will be any enthusiasm to expand a commercial project on Army land which will have limited application for the Army. Boeing's offices are for work specifically being done on the Arsenal, although a few of the engineers there do work on commercial applications not related to the government.

Several years ago, it took a significant effort just to get approval to move the boundary fence to widen Zierdt Rd. The justification was that it would increase access to Gate 7 (at Martin Rd.) and take pressure off Gate 9. If there was that much reluctance for that project on Zierdt, it seems like it would be a really tough sell for a project like The Oasis.

Something else to be pointed out is that the City of Huntsville was the driving force behind Redstone Gateway because they wanted the property tax income from the office buildings, hotel and retail located there. At the present time, Huntsville is very unique in that a large portion of its workforce works in federal office buildings for which the city (and county) get zero property tax revenue. Single family homes don't carry their weight in paying for schools, etc. HSV will definitely push this project for no other reason than to make for not getting any revenue from all of the employment centers on the Arsenal (Von Braun Center, Sparkman Center). Ultimately, the Base Commander will decide the project's fate.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
A bridge over an 8 lane state highway is going to have to be built so that people cant jump or fall off into traffic, and cant throw stuff at the cars passing underneath. A clear plastic tube sounds nice.
Call it Bridgey McGhettobridge.
Not to mention it will have to be very high to allow traffic at that point under it. Does not seem practical.

Also, given the location, I'd be VERY concerned about crime/safety.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 8:37 PM

Jordan, Triana and 14th street are all used by pedestrians to cross 565. I am sure there will be some sort of barrier to deter people from throwing anything below. If its never been a problem at these points I don't for see a big problem with the pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 3:21 PM

Any idea what is being built next to Kroger on 72? Looks like it might be a restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Any idea what is being built next to Kroger on 72? Looks like it might be a restaurant.
Buffalo Wild Wings it looks like. Taking the place of the Madison Square Mall one I assume.

http://cottagesatwatercress.com/the-...atercress/news

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Buffalo Wild Wings it looks like. Taking the place of the Madison Square Mall one I assume.

http://cottagesatwatercress.com/the-...atercress/news
That was my guess based on the yellow exterior paint.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 11:25 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Is Element hotel just going to take up part of the Westin? If so, is that a bad sign?
Element will operate in the top floors(4 maybe?) of the Westin property.
So The Westin will remain as is. They have done a combo property at other Westins I think. This is a good use of existing non used space and get some needed renovation at the Westin itself.
Wish Aloft or Hyatt would locate downtown. Maybe the AC Hotel will spur some competition. I expect the other hotel to locate at City Centre to be either Fairfield or Residence Inn. There are at least 7 active hotel projects in various stages of planning going on in the Huntsville area.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 2:08 PM

Sad to hear that South Parkway Popeye's is losing its buffet

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 1:27 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Element will operate in the top floors(4 maybe?) of the Westin property.
So The Westin will remain as is. They have done a combo property at other Westins I think. This is a good use of existing non used space and get some needed renovation at the Westin itself.
Wish Aloft or Hyatt would locate downtown. Maybe the AC Hotel will spur some competition. I expect the other hotel to locate at City Centre to be either Fairfield or Residence Inn. There are at least 7 active hotel projects in various stages of planning going on in the Huntsville area.
Thank God the Westin will finally be full...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 1:10 AM
America's Mars Rocket

site work is well under way for a supposedly new Lowe's in Hazel Green, north of the new Wal Mart

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:40 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
site work is well under way for a supposedly new Lowe's in Hazel Green, north of the new Wal Mart
Looks like we'll be pulling in a Tennessee county or two over the next 5-10 years for the HSV Metro with this continued retail development.

It'll be interesting when Huntsville becomes an interstate metro area. By then, Morgan and Lawrence Counties should be running alongside too.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 6:15 PM

Not the most exciting topic in the world, but the new Kroger Marketplace going in at 72 and County Line Rd has been updated to a more modern look. I have never seen a Kroger Marketplace design like this.

http://www.sembler.com/photolib/prop...ting_flier.pdf

This is a typical design and basically what was shown in the plans before the recent update. Basically looks like a regular Kroger with a different sign.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Not the most exciting topic in the world, but the new Kroger Marketplace going in at 72 and County Line Rd has been updated to a more modern look. I have never seen a Kroger Marketplace design like this.
Too bad we're not getting the new Kroger designs with the Craft beer bar/beer to go setup.
http://fortune.com/2015/08/31/craft-...-supermarkets/

Maybe it will?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergutbrew View Post
Too bad we're not getting the new Kroger designs with the Craft beer bar/beer to go setup.
http://fortune.com/2015/08/31/craft-...-supermarkets/

Maybe it will?
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. I'd be surprised if the Marketplace doesn't have a growler station since Whole Foods does. The newer Marketplace in Maryville, TN has one.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 2:42 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Veloce Indoor Speedway is set to have it's grand opening this Saturday at 1030 Old Monrovia Road in Huntsville, doors will open at 10:00am Saturday July 16th.
Veloce's (Italian for fast) electric karts are manufactured by OTL Electrokart in Vacil, Italy. They are the most sophisticated, safe and technologically advanced karts available. Karts are capable of reaching speeds up to 50 MPH.

There are adult karts and junior karts. There are no age requirements or need to have a driver's license. The indoor track is 550 meters long, the longest indoor speedway in Alabama. The design of the track is meant to test your driving ability.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Jul 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast