HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:19 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Wow, this was more than I expected. The train station, in particular, is pretty grand-looking.
I think it's much more grand than any of us expected.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:31 PM
Fourth and Main

I'm really impressed with the renderings for the Rotary Trail! I just did a search for them. That is a nice project.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:47 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Image of ALDOT's planned route map for the 20/59 corridor through downtown.

Brown = roadway to be retained
Violet = bridge/flyover to be retained
Brighter blue = new roadway
Yellow = new bridge
Red = removed roadway
Blue = removed bridge/flyover

The word clusterF*** comes to mind.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 10:11 PM

There is a new possible development site downtown located at 20th street and 3rd avenue south. There are fresh survey markings and stakes in and around the site. The site is directly across 20th street south from the old Liberty National Building, it is about a quarter of city block in size in a very prominent spot. Maybe something or could be nothing.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:35 AM
I concede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
There is a new possible development site downtown located at 20th street and 3rd avenue south. There are fresh survey markings and stakes in and around the site. The site is directly across 20th street south from the old Liberty National Building, it is about a quarter of city block in size in a very prominent spot. Maybe something or could be nothing.
Heard about this site but was skeptical. Still not convinced because of previous false starts.

#food

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Heard about this site but was skeptical. Still not convinced because of previous false starts.

#food
Sort of like the old Firestone building across 3rd Avenue from the site. Firestone even had pictures and a nice little article in the paper some time ago. False starts, I hate those.
I once heard when a developer announces a new project it does not mean he is going to do it, he is just trying to gauge interest in the project and possibly get a certain amount of commitments to his project before he builds anything. As opposed to speculative developments in which the developer builds it and hope they will come. I guess that makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:10 PM
I concede

Quote:
Sort of like the old Firestone building across 3rd Avenue from the site. Firestone even had pictures and a nice little article in the paper some time ago. False starts, I hate those.
I once heard when a developer announces a new project it does not mean he is going to do it, he is just trying to gauge interest in the project and possibly get a certain amount of commitments to his project before he builds anything. As opposed to speculative developments in which the developer builds it and hope they will come. I guess that makes sense.
True. Forgot about that latest Firestone development. The possible project across the street is tied to that property in some ways. Just waiting and seeing at this point.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:45 PM

Any new developments of the proposed condo tower on highlands avenue?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Any new developments of the proposed condo tower on highlands avenue?
I walk by there on Saturday and Sunday mornings going to Western Supermarket, I have not seen much of any activity. There was at one time a security guard sitting outside the building, he is now gone, there were some survey markings and stakes around the building, that's it. Perhaps they are doing the usual behind the scene activities before they break ground, hopefully.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:06 PM
Burming Hammer

from this morning's design review committee meeting:

"Brown-Marx Tower wants temporary signage announcing leasing plans at 2000 First Avenue North" (@MAJ_Chicken)

good sign! this building is a monster on the heaviest corner and needs some life breathed back into it.

(image taken from al.com)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:25 PM

Mike tomberlin emailed me. News on 15 story tower on highland will come out after spring break. Ground breaking should start very soon.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Mike tomberlin emailed me. News on 15 story tower on highland will come out after spring break. Ground breaking should start very soon.
Wow! outstanding, that will be a major change for that part of Highland Avenue.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Wow! outstanding, that will be a major change for that part of Highland Avenue.
I know!!! I hope buildings being built in the future take this project as an example and build more verticle!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:53 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
from this morning's design review committee meeting:

"Brown-Marx Tower wants temporary signage announcing leasing plans at 2000 First Avenue North" (@MAJ_Chicken)

good sign! this building is a monster on the heaviest corner and needs some life breathed back into it.
Brown-Marx is the second oldest (106 years) on the Heaviest Corner On Earth, and one of the most massive. It's restoration would be monumental. The revitalization of 20th/1st will be a huge anchor for the residential population and future retail development.

I've always longed for this building to be "brought up to speed".

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:40 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
i drove by this yesterday and didn't see anything... which lot was it? the one that used to be a car dealership?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i drove by this yesterday and didn't see anything... which lot was it? the one that used to be a car dealership?
Yes, that is the one. There were fresh survey markings and sticks around. It maybe nothing, I had not seen any plans for it. Someone on this thread did say that property was included in the plans for the old Firestone place across 3rd Avenue.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 10:12 PM
I concede

Quote:
Yes, that is the one. There were fresh survey markings and sticks around. It maybe nothing, I had not seen any plans for it. Someone on this thread did say that property was included in the plans for the old Firestone place across 3rd Avenue.
Drove by there earlier, as well. Many days ago. Markers were gone but some drilling machinery was there. It's not tied to the latest Firestone development plan but connected to a previous plan to bring a grocery store there. A lot of false starts on that avenue so I'm in a wait and see mode.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'ham Bound View Post
Drove by there earlier, as well. Many days ago. Markers were gone but some drilling machinery was there. It's not tied to the latest Firestone development plan but connected to a previous plan to bring a grocery store there. A lot of false starts on that avenue so I'm in a wait and see mode.
Wednesday I was riding on one of the UAB buses when a lady that work for Lister Hill Library said that UAB was exploring the idea of an Urban Wal-Mart. Does anyone think this property would be big enough?? I have not seen or heard of an Urban Wal-Mart.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I have not seen or heard of an Urban Wal-Mart.
Here's Ga Tech's urban Wal-Mart in Midtown Atlanta. I don't know if they'd do something similar here, but it's only about 2,500 sf. Definitely catered toward college kids.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/23132838/mini-walmart-o

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
Here's Ga Tech's urban Wal-Mart in Midtown Atlanta. I don't know if they'd do something similar here, but it's only about 2,500 sf. Definitely catered toward college kids.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/23132838/mini-walmart-o
Wow!! that is nice and would absolutely fit that space, parking will be an issue. But there are some nice sized apartment buildings in the area and being built in the area and it is within a couple miles of the dorms and not to mention being basically in the middle of downtown on the Dart bus route. But I am not sure at all if that is the plan for that spot, I will have to keep my eyes and ears open for news. Thank you for that post!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations