HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
https://thebolditalic.com/how-and-to...o-4ee1ef5b72da

The wine industry being what it is in California, I suspect we are more tolerant of drinking that beverage in more places than other states might allow.
Those regs are hilariously unenforced. It seems like half of San Francisco gets tanked on mimosas while standing "in line" on the sidewalk for brunch service and then moves on from brunch to drinking away the afternoon in Delores Park. I mean, it's awesome, but I'm surprised to learn that it isn't legal.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:34 PM

Regulated closing times are lame. In Philly, the areas full of bars/clubs become crushed with wasted kids all forced out of bars at 2am. Better to let the party go on all night long and people come/go when they want. Having tons of drunk people forced out on the street all at the same time is not good policy and I don't know why politicians, police, and local residents think that's a good idea.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Regulated closing times are lame. In Philly, the areas full of bars/clubs become crushed with wasted kids all forced out of bars at 2am. Better to let the party go on all night long and people come/go when they want. Having tons of drunk people forced out on the street all at the same time is not good policy and I don't know why politicians, police, and local residents think that's a good idea.
they should at least move to last call with later leaving the premises rules. like last call 2am and must vacate by 2:30am or something like that. a little bit of buffer time maybe.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:25 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
they should at least move to last call with later leaving the premises rules. like last call 2am and must vacate by 2:30am or something like that. a little bit of buffer time maybe.

Is the law actually that all bars must empty at last call, or it that just the de facto norm established by bars who don't want to have to pay their staff if they're not generating income at that hour?

Last call here is also 2AM for the most part, and while most bars will close at the same time; clubs, live music venues, restaurants, and so on will continue to operate as late as they see fit. There are rules about how late alcohol can be served, but not what one's hours of business must otherwise be.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Is the law actually that all bars must empty at last call, or it that just the de facto norm established by bars who don't want to have to pay their staff if they're not generating income at that hour?

Last call here is also 2AM for the most part, and while most bars will close at the same time; clubs, live music venues, restaurants, and so on will continue to operate as late as they see fit. There are rules about how late alcohol can be served, but not what one's hours of business must otherwise be.
That's a good point.

I think most bars kick out their patrons in the 15-30 mins following the last call time because they don't see the usefulness of staying open if they can't sell any booze.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've long argued that last call, at least when it comes to bars, is detrimental as opposed to beneficial for public order and peace.

Even if you don't have any last call at all, most patrons aren't going to party until 5 am.

What will happen is that people will slowly leave the premises in smaller groups between say midnight and the early hours of the morning.

Whereas having a firm last call at 2 am or 3 am forces crowds of people (sometimes thousands if you're in a nightlife district) onto the street all at the same time within the same 15-minute window.

Which is why you always have fights and other mayhem concentrated around the bar closing time.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've long argued that last call, at least when it comes to bars, is detrimental as opposed to beneficial for public order and peace.

Even if you don't have any last call at all, most patrons aren't going to party until 5 am.

What will happen is that people will slowly leave the premises in smaller groups between say midnight and the early hours of the morning.

Whereas having a firm last call at 2 am or 3 am forces crowds of people (sometimes thousands if you're in a nightlife district) onto the street all at the same time within the same 15-minute window.

Which is why you always have fights and other mayhem concentrated around the bar closing time.
Exactly right. Its amazing how the idiots in charge dont understand this.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

That would be straight bars.

At gay bars, that would be when guys start hooking up.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions