HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
For Florida, I'm going to through out Bok Tower in Lake Wales as both a man made and natural beauty. But to everyone's point, it's tough to compete with random 800 year old castles scattered around Europe.

src: http://www.visitorlando.com/things-t...Gardens/31145/
Cool! Had I known about it, I would have visited it while I was in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:56 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

balboa park should at least eliminate the golf course, no point to walling off a central park like that for the use of golf.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 8:05 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Still one of my favorites and still defines DTSF.
Had a chance to see Balboa Park and the Cabrillo Bridge (the bridge I saw from the highway below it) and was very impressed. Quite beautiful and surrounded by great neighborhoods!

However, "DTSF" is not a thing like DTLA is ()

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 9:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

The view from Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh should be world famous, I certainly hear a lot of different languages although when I go up there. The following photos are by me.

DSC_0078 by photolitherland, on Flickr

DSC_3844 by photolitherland, on Flickr

DSC_2589 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
it's just interesting that people don't differentiate European historical architecture by age. That Bok tower in Orlando is not much newer than the UK Parliament, Tower Bridge, Sacre Coeur, Hausmann's Parisian blocks, Barcelona's modernist blocks, Berlin's apartments, etc etc.

It's the architecture, not the age that makes those areas interesting.
Yes and no. Yes, the amazing architecture in Europe makes things interesting, but the streetscapes are usually much older, unless we're talking WW2 damaged cities (so like all of Germany, and parts of a few other W. European countries).

Using your examples, there is no major U.S. city where the streetscape is as old as that of central Paris. New York, which probably has the most consistent 19th century core streetscape (areas like Flatiron, Soho, Tribeca and Union Square), still is generally late-19th century, while Hausmann's Paris is more mid-19th century. Probably Soho is the only neighborhood in NYC where there are large-scale commercial streetscapes from more mid-1800's.

In contrast, Hausmann's Paris is the dominant vernacular in central Paris. It would be as if all of Manhattan were Soho.

I get that there are large 19th century residential landcapes in pretty large areas of NYC, Philly, and Boston (and maybe Baltimore, or even Cincy and St. Louis, and some smaller cities like Albany), but the core commercial landscapes are pretty limited compared to Europe. And Paris is not particularly old in terms of building stock.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 9:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The view from Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh should be world famous, I certainly hear a lot of different languages although when I go up there. The following photos are by me.
I, of all places, watched 4th of July fireworks from up there this year. It was really cool actually. Pittsburgh is the one place I've passed through more than a few times but have yet to really experience.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions