HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:37 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Smile CLEVELAND - Just going to leave this right here

I was having some technical difficulties posting these pics from the end of 2016 but better late than never, right? It's going to be a while before I have a chance to put together another photo thread - fortunately it's because I'm officially under contract to author a second book about Cleveland architecture; hopefully publishing in the fall. Until next time, feel free to check out clevelandskyscrapers.com and instagram.com/clevelandskyscrapers

In my mind, the Cleveland National Airshow officially kicks off the summer - my husband took the first two pics, not shabby if I don’t say so myself

LAND Studio (formerly Cleveland Public Art) coordinated with the Cracking Art Group to install these oversized technicolor animal sculptures around town. I was skeptical at first but once I saw how people responded to them (especially at Public Square with kids climbing all over them), these were definitely a success:

After the Hilton was completed, the area was missing construction cranes - fortunately the Edge at CSU and One University Circle remedied that; views from Progressive Field:

I suppose it was a Good Year for Cleveland -

One notable construction project that may not have changed the skyline but was certainly significant in its own right was the completion of the George Voinovich/Innerbelt Bridge. The opening ceremony had plenty of dignitaries offering tributes, etc. - I was more focused on the views from the bridge. One nice touch was the southern span is higher than the northern span to provide a better view of the skyline for motorists:

I guess everyone took an Uber that day:

Back down to a more pedestrian level and a walk across the Hope Memorial/Lorain-Carnegie Bridge:

I’m a regular at the Market so this is an “everyone and their brother” shot but normally I’m too busy getting my shopping done to stop up on the balcony and take it all in:

And just some pics around Lorain Avenue:

The Cleveland Museum of Art had some amazing exhibitions in honor of their Centennial celebration. One of the exhibits where photography was permitted - “Art and Stories from Mughal India”.

The Asian/India collection features these small illustrations and they have magnifying glasses to really see the details - how they managed to have such ridiculously precise detail without modern technology...?

Another special exhibit - jewelry from the Wade Family (they of Wade Oval - the street where many University Circle institutions reside; Jeptha Wade founded Western Union):

Of course - the Indians in the World Series ... between the parade for the Monsters/Stipe Miocic and that basketball team - I’m hardly a sports bar “bruh” but the uplifting vibe from all that was palpable:

If someone told me ten years ago, I’d ever see this in Cleveland, I’d have laughed like Tom Hanks in the ‘Money Pit’ bathtub scene (google it):

Of course it didn’t hurt to have the overlap with the World Series and Cavs opening:

While we’re on an upnote:

As the year went on I didn’t get many opportunities for photos, but some family visiting had never been to the Cleveland History Center (Western Reserve Historical Society). Not being a native Clevelander, neither had I so what the heck. They had an exhibit about Bob Hope and his career, and we took a tour of the facility, comprised of interconnected mansions and additions. I think everyone of a certain age in the Great Lakes region had a local amusement park in town - growing up near Youngstown, I went to Idora but for Cleveland, Euclid Beach Park was one of the big players. They rebuilt and installed the Euclid Beach Park Grand Carousel - I think I may have seen a tear or two in the eyes of the expatriates with us.

Interior courtyard:

Tiffany window salvaged from a Euclid Avenue church:

Highlights from the Bob Hope exhibit:

The Hay Mansion:

Considering the political climate isn’t unlike an amusement ride, I think it’s appropriate to wrap this thread up accordingly:

Hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:39 PM

Nice pictures! I will miss the frequency of your threads, but publishing a book is a big deal. What is your first book? And I followed you on Instagram now.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:37 PM
Posh

Nice!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:35 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Oooh....

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 9:05 PM

Very nice photos. A great feel for Cleveland and makes me ready to visit again.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 9:42 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I'm pleased by this.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 8:32 AM

Isn't it marathon going on the bridge every year?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 2:06 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

A great set of photos!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 2:41 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

Thanks everyone!

xzmattzx, my first book was published back in 2003; about 7,000 copies have been sold but that's over the span of 14 years (I get about $1 per copy sold) so not looking at JK Rowling status https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Pr.../9780738532028

Murphy de la Sucre, yes - the Cleveland Marathon and several other races cross this bridge each year.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 2:55 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

great pics!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 11:43 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Splendid!!! Cleveland (and MayDay) rocks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 7:43 PM

I am always amazed at the diverse, old/new building styles, textures and generally cool vibe these Northern legacy cities have. You just don't get that cool factor in Southern sun belt cities. These Northern cities are cool without trying to be.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 9:47 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Cleveland Rocks!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Thanks everyone!

xzmattzx, my first book was published back in 2003; about 7,000 copies have been sold but that's over the span of 14 years (I get about $1 per copy sold) so not looking at JK Rowling status https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Pr.../9780738532028

Murphy de la Sucre, yes - the Cleveland Marathon and several other races cross this bridge each year.
Nice! I like those Images of America books. They're cheap, contain pretty good material, and there's plenty of pictures to allow the reader to get that spatial recognition.

What's your next book going to be on?

How did you get involved with Arcadia Publishing? I have some book ideas of my own, but the idea is as far as I've gotten.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 8:09 PM
Great White Norf

great photos, MayDay! thanks for the photo tour. I always appreciate the commentary in your threads as well.
#ClevelandRocks

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 9:19 PM

Any new developments going up in midtown along Euclid? That area was pretty sparse the last time I was there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 12:10 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

^A few - that area has a ways to go but the Link 59 health campus is under development; anchored by a sizable University Hospitals facility:

http://link59cle.com/

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index..._children.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
^A few - that area has a ways to go but the Link 59 health campus is under development; anchored by a sizable University Hospitals facility:

http://link59cle.com/

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index..._children.html
Yeah, I hope more residential developments go up in that area. That will help to liven it up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:49 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Nice work. I love the variety of bridges in Cleveland.

I am also a big fan of the Key Bank tower. Now that they took over First Niagara I am a Key customer. Proud that they have such an epic HQ. :p

This is lovely:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:53 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Oops! Forgot to respond to this:

"What's your next book going to be on? How did you get involved with Arcadia Publishing? I have some book ideas of my own, but the idea is as far as I've gotten."

The next book will be a before/after look at Cleveland - mostly downtown but trying to get some sample images from neighborhoods. The goal is to publish this fall. Back in 2002, the editors at Arcadia Publishing came across clevelandskyscrapers.com - they liked what they saw and asked if I'd be interested in writing a book about architecture in downtown Cleveland. I never really considered it, but they were in town from Chicago so I gave them a three hour walking tour and they decided I had plenty of material - and it's not intensive writing, just a photo and a brief caption. Anyway, over lunch at the 21st floor of the Huntington Building (in a section that was planned to be a waiting room for dirigible passengers, but I digress) I signed the contract. After lots of research and taking photos, about a year later my book was published in November 2003 - it's sold about 7,000 copies. Not JK Rowling numbers but pretty cool, I think :-)

"Yeah, I hope more residential developments go up in that area. That will help to liven it up."

Looks like that's about to happen at Euclid and East 73rd:

And further east closer to the Cleveland Clinic - next phase of the existing Woodhaven development:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos