HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Barrie? People are so generous. Years ago, when I was in full Toronto-centric mode, the shore of the island was Eglinton!
the view from Manhattan Island:

wikipedia

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

toddstadler blog

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
the view from Manhattan Island:

wikipedia
I love that. It's only the big cities that get shit for that but small ones can be even worse.

Ours...

Town is everything inside the Paradise overpass, including Mount Pearl. Everyone from there is a Townie. The Bay is the rest of Newfoundland and Labrador. Everyone from there is a Bayman. And the rest of the world is Away. If they come here, they're a Come-From-Away, if we go there, we're working Away.

If Toronto used terms that way the regions would lose their minds. But it doesn't seem to matter when little places do it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 7:30 PM

I didn't know about Treasure Island. It is fun to say: The biggest island on a lake on an island in a lake.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 7:32 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

If North Bay had a canal running through it from Lake Nipissing to the Madawaska, then I suppose Southern Ontario would be an island of sorts.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:31 PM

Yep and you could make a very strong argument that it is a peninsula, especially the SW.

https://townshend.wordpress.com/2015...apping-skills/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:56 PM

I can't say I've ever thought of K-W as an island. More like a lost valley...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
If North Bay had a canal running through it from Lake Nipissing to the Madawaska, then I suppose Southern Ontario would be an island of sorts.
What you mean is a canal between Lake Nipissing and Trout Lake.

I have lived in North Bay btw.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The canal already exists - between Port Severn and Trenton. But canals don't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Yeah, I don't really get what isolation has to do with island-ness either. Some of the largest cities on the planet - Tokyo, London, Jakarta, Manila, Osaka, Taipei - are located entirely on islands. Others - New York, Mumbai, Hong Kong, Lagos, Montreal - have urban areas that stretch across an island or islands and the mainland.

Now, you could convincingly argue that the British or Japanese identities are informed by the relative cultural or geopolitical isolation afforded by their geography, but I doubt anyone has ever walked the streets of central London or Tokyo feeling an overwhelming sense of island-induced remoteness.
Agreed, which is why I thought the "Montreal doesn't count" sentiment was a bit odd. Island living doesn't imply remoteness in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Only by me. But yeah, you can leave Moscow and travel for hours through the hinterlands of the country you rule. Same with Paris. And Rome. And Washington D.C. or New York.

Not Toronto, though. Because everything turns to moose north of Barrie. And who wants to rule moose?
I see your point and agree that Ontario is a bit of a cultural and geographical island. But it's not small - you can travel for hours in Ontario east and west of Toronto too. Windsor to Ottawa is as far as the entire length of England.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 12:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Yep and you could make a very strong argument that it is a peninsula, especially the SW.

https://townshend.wordpress.com/2015...apping-skills/
Toronto is a "National Capital"?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 12:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I still can't get used to Ottawa/Hull being where they are. I always expect Hull is southeast of Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 12:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Landlocked!!

Quote:
SSP

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 4:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I still can't get used to Ottawa/Hull being where they are. I always expect Hull is southeast of Ottawa.
Yeah, when my wife was at the U of O doing a graduate degree, most of her classmates were GTA types who rarely ventured that much outside of downtown Ottawa. They imagined that where she lived (Gatineau) was somewhere close to Montreal, a couple of hours away.

And when I was a kid living in Eastern Ontario, some members of our extended family in the Montreal area used to think for some reason that we were a lot further away than we actually were, since we were in "Ontario". They equated that with Toronto and being 5 hours away instead of 90 minutes like we were.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 7:20 PM

i live on vancouver island for the second time, i previously lived on the island 1990-1991, i worked a couple summers on a small island called stuart island, there were no cars, only reachable by boat or float plane

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 1:55 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Not certain I understand the original point.....

Is it that Canada has many areas that have a unique "Island Culture", similar to say "Mountain Culture" associated with living in mountain resorts?

I don't think Richmond or Montreal have a unique shared Island culture. Vancouver Island (where I now live) is a bloody big island and that takes away from the Island culture as well.

Many of the Gulf Island are isolated and that breads a certain community that you don't find in bigger places. Is that what we are talking about?
I was interested in viewing a answer too your question. I think that the original poster of this thread does not actually have a point as usual!

Perhaps you could have a thread about island life in cities of the world that have islands or rivers between islands?( Montreal or Vancouver)

You could also have island life with remote islands where people have to survive like Ada Blackjack? (great non fiction book by Jennifer Niven)

You could have island life like small islands like the gulf islands that breed a certain community. ( interesting topic )

What was the point of this thread MolsonExport?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:10 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
I think this conversation is interesting.
Well, this is the point of the conversation. If you want to continue being a dick, take your poor spelling and assholic attitude back to VibrantVictoria. n=37

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:20 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Well, this is the point of the conversation. If you want to continue being a dick, take your poor spelling and assholic attitude back to VibrantVictoria.
In what context do you think I was explaining interesting? If you find that I am a dick I apologize too you. I like that fact that you are always being a teacher. Lots of people do not spell correctly that does not mean they do not have a point to share.

Though I do like your word assholic!

I think your point to Vibrant Victoria was a reference we both understand. I admit I made a mistake. I grouped people together.

I am a Canadian first I have friends all across the country. I enjoy all the provinces. I do however have disagreements with individuals.

Again, what was your original intent towards this thread "island life"?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
The canal already exists - between Port Severn and Trenton. But canals don't count.

Agreed, which is why I thought the "Montreal doesn't count" sentiment was a bit odd. Island living doesn't imply remoteness in and of itself.

I see your point and agree that Ontario is a bit of a cultural and geographical island. But it's not small - you can travel for hours in Ontario east and west of Toronto too. Windsor to Ottawa is as far as the entire length of England.
I dunno, by the time you get to Windsor, the orientation is more towards Detroit than Toronto. Sarnia, Chatham, and Windsor seem barely within Toronto's orbit. Heading north, the influence ends in Muskoka, although you could make an argument for Sudbury I suppose. Heading east, it's tricky as it perhaps extends to Kingston, but then things start orientating towards Ottawa, although Ottawa itself is orientated somewhat towards Toronto. Beyond Cornwall, settlements are Montreal-centric. Toronto doesn't really have a bigger hinterland than Detroit or Boston.

Toronto seems like more of a distant overlord. It's important, perhaps influential in certain respects, but in a very impersonal, distant manner beyond the Greater Golden Horseshoe and surroundings. Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, none of these places really feel Toronto-orientated. It's more of a distant, important city that has marginal influence. It's no London, Paris, or Moscow.

Perhaps those places are outliers though, especially considering Canada is such a vast nation. New York and Los Angeles have greater spheres than Toronto, sure, but decisions made on Wilshire Blvd have a marginal influence on the folks in Little Rock. Germany, Italy, Spain, China, India, Australia, Japan, and Vietnam are all polycentric as well.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:10 AM
HVAC guru

I believe there is very much an island culture on the west coast. Visit Saltspring or Denman or Quadra or any number of other islands off Vancouver island and it's pretty hard to ignore

Even back when I was living and working in Vancouver, a good friend lived in Ladysmith (half hour south of Nanaimo) On a Friday afternoon I'd drive from my place in Burnaby after work to Horseshoe Bay, park the car and walk onto the ferry and she'd pick me up on the other side. I always felt like when I arrived on the island like the pace slowed from 45 RPM to 33.3.. As an analogy.

There's actually something quite special about being isolated in some sort of way. To me it's very calming. Our cabin in central BC provides much the same experience, but being on the Whaling Station beach on Hornby island, knowing you're three ferry rides and a million miles disconnected from the rest of the world is a very rejuvenating spiritual experience

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
In what context do you think I was explaining interesting? If you find that I am a dick I apologize too you. I like that fact that you are always being a teacher. Lots of people do not spell correctly that does not mean they do not have a point to share.

Though I do like your word assholic!

I think your point to Vibrant Victoria was a reference we both understand. I admit I made a mistake. I grouped people together.

I am a Canadian first I have friends all across the country. I enjoy all the provinces. I do however have disagreements with individuals.

Again, what was your original intent towards this thread "island life"?

People living on an island, what their thoughts were on living on an island, and that sort of thing. Which is abundantly clear, from the title and explanation. It seemed as though there was an interesting conversation started. Then you decided to come in here and be a prick. Why don't you save it for the housing market thread?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada