HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 4:46 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallman02 View Post
Do you believe Bronner's developments have helped or hindered the urban fabric of downtown Montgomery? Many seem to feel RSA developments are suburban office buildings dropped into a downtown setting. Has that been an issue or does Montgomery believe any development is better than no development at all?

Note: I've only been to downtown Montgomery two or three times and my thought process comes entirely from a couple of years of reading the Montgomery thread.
I am so glad they have not built a tower in Birmingham. I believe that their buildings leave much to be desired. At the very least...they could hire a better architecture firm.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 4:53 PM
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
oh ok , The devlopments I have seen in D.T Mobile and Montgomery are nice ones and like you said when the RSA build they build nice !!

I also noticed on one of your post you mentioned stucco , i`m currently attending school in Huntsville nad have never seen any stucco houses or buildings here, I havent been all over B-ham but when I do visit I never see any stucco there either. So I was beggining to believe that the Mobile and Baldwin Co. area is the only part of the state that have stucco buildings.

Hmmmm never knew Montgomery had any, I love stucco and thats what i`m going to build my house out of (Stucco). With palm trees in the yard a Mobile favorite well when I move back !

You will see the use of stucco in older homes in Birmingham. Look for Tudor Architecture. Also, the Hollywood neighborhood in Homewood has a good bit of stucco on the spanish colonial/mission revival homes....built mostly in the 1920's. Stucco has been replaced by EFIS. However, this material is not as duriable in a hot and wet climate like Alabama. EFIS is better suited for desert climates....Hotels and homes in Las Vegas. Personally, I think EFIS should be outlawed in the south...with developers returning to stucco.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:10 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwtiger View Post
You will see the use of stucco in older homes in Birmingham. Look for Tudor Architecture. Also, the Hollywood neighborhood in Homewood has a good bit of stucco on the spanish colonial/mission revival homes....built mostly in the 1920's. Stucco has been replaced by EFIS. However, this material is not as duriable in a hot and wet climate like Alabama. EFIS is better suited for desert climates....Hotels and homes in Las Vegas. Personally, I think EFIS should be outlawed in the south...with developers returning to stucco.

I didn`t know that B-ham had Spanish Colonial houses too, well I guess the Port and the Ham had a little bit more in common than I thouht. New houses that are being built in Mobile and Baldwin county have stecco exteriors as well. I see that you mentiend that there are problems with stecco but I have never heared of or seen any problems with it or may be its EFIS .Do you know of any problems that you knowof that come with stecco ?

I am not a fan of pink but it`s a Spanish style huge pink stecco house in Mobile that is crazy. There are ,brown,yellow,tan,sort of mint green, and white stucco houses on Gov`t street in Mobile with green,brown,tan and red like Spanish tiles on the roof if thats what you call it, but any way I see several older houses with that stuff her in Mobile new and old. wit hnew ones being in gray, brownish tan, and peach like colors.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 7:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I didn`t know that B-ham had Spanish Colonial houses too, well I guess the Port and the Ham had a little bit more in common than I thouht. New houses that are being built in Mobile and Baldwin county have stecco exteriors as well. I see that you mentiend that there are problems with stecco but I have never heared of or seen any problems with it or may be its EFIS .Do you know of any problems that you knowof that come with stecco ?

I am not a fan of pink but it`s a Spanish style huge pink stecco house in Mobile that is crazy. There are ,brown,yellow,tan,sort of mint green, and white stucco houses on Gov`t street in Mobile with green,brown,tan and red like Spanish tiles on the roof if thats what you call it, but any way I see several older houses with that stuff her in Mobile new and old. wit hnew ones being in gray, brownish tan, and peach like colors.

Are you talking about a French country style house? That is a big style here is Louisiana and now I see this style popping up all over the country.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:17 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwtiger View Post
Kinda like my house?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:51 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyncrystal View Post
Are you talking about a French country style house? That is a big style here is Louisiana and now I see this style popping up all over the country.
Well I have seen several French Country style houses being built in the Oldshell/Springhill area in past 5 years. Next time you visit Mobile take Govt west and turn on Airport blvd near the loop right next to the canyon and that park across the street from the pillars. You will see this Pink stecco house with green Spanish like tiles on the roof with palm trees in the yard been ther for years .You will see a white stecco house with red tiles on the roof as well if you go on Oldshell right before you get to Springhill University going west.

Optimus Prime nice house ! so thats what EFIS looks like sort of like stucco but not exactly.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Optimus Prime nice house ! so thats what EFIS looks like sort of like stucco but not exactly.

Oh no! I don't believe that's EIFS. That's either stucco or a rub of some sort.
I think Port_of_Bama is talking about homes like what's in the Hollywood section of Homewood. I'll take some pics next time I'm out.

You know... the Summit is a Spanish type development? Right?
That would be EIFS.

Nice house optimus. I would call that a Spanish Craftsman! :

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:28 PM
Closed account

I got a package about B-ham in the mail yesterday and the picture they had of the skyline was awesome! It thought it was Baltimore for a sec and then I realized it was Birmingham. B-ham is the best place to be in the fall.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:51 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

B-ham`s skyline is taller and denser than B-more, well in my opinoin it is. Whats cool about the ham and what I appreciate about it is when I `m going back home from H-ville and you see Ohio, Michigan and Indiana tags passing through and when they see that B-ham skyline pop out of the mountains it like a wow factor. many do`nt believe or picture the stste of Alabama with a skyline at all.There are a lot of students from Chicago who attend school here in H-ville and when they see H-ville skyline they like to crack on it. To be honest Huntsville sky line fits them it wouldn`t look right with huge buildings in H-ville nice city but it doesn`t have that Urban feel to it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
B-ham`s skyline is taller and denser than B-more, well in my opinoin it is. Whats cool about the ham and what I appreciate about it is when I `m going back home from H-ville and you see Ohio, Michigan and Indiana tags passing through and when they see that B-ham skyline pop out of the mountains it like a wow factor. many do`nt believe or picture the stste of Alabama with a skyline at all.There are a lot of students from Chicago who attend school here in H-ville and when they see H-ville skyline they like to crack on it. To be honest Huntsville sky line fits them it wouldn`t look right with huge buildings in H-ville nice city but it doesn`t have that Urban feel to it.
H-ville is clean cut.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:43 PM
Closed account

This is the picture I saw

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:45 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Nice !

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 10:23 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I've always loved that picture!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 5:55 AM
Roll Tide

Quote:
The devlelopments Bronner has invested in Mobile have been ok to us so we never had problems. I have read in the Montgomery forum about a month ago about Bronner building something near the Capitol house and Montgomery citizens didn`t want the development in that area and he was stubborn about it thats athe only thing that
I know of. His favorite color is green because most RSA buildings in Mobile and Montgomery have a green top !! lol.
The hideous original design of the RSA Battle House Tower was radically altered because of the statewide outcry about how ugly it was. Mobile is very fortunate that the change was made. Montgomery wasn't so lucky with the RSA Judicial Building that is currently under construction downtown.

Montgomery citizens packed public meetings to oppose the design of the Judicial Building, which is completely out of place for its location, but Bronner arrogantly refused to even come to the table to discuss win-win alternatives. The development grossly violates the city's downtown development code in multiple ways, but RSA claims immunity because it is a state agency. Since space in the building will compete with privately owned office space, all that the citizens of Montgomery were asking for is that RSA play by the same rules that private developers have to play by.
"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro

Last edited by ExpatBaman; Apr 16, 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 3:04 PM
Closed account

Alabama Honda employees celebrate building first 2009 Pilot SUV

Alabama's automotive industry marked another milestone Tuesday as Honda's Lincoln assembly plant kicked off mass production of the redesigned Pilot sport utility vehicle, amid cheers, cake and the strains of hard rock music.

Guns N' Roses' "Sweet Child O' Mine" was playing as a nimbus gray, top-of-the-line touring edition Pilot rolled off Line 2 at Honda's $1.4 billion, 4,500-worker plant. More than 1,500 members of the work force gathered for the occasion.

The new vehicle is the result of years of research and development by the Japanese automaker. Alabama workers, whose efforts date back to 2005, had a say in how the new Pilot was designed to be manufactured.

Advertisement
"You have built an outstanding vehicle," Frank Paluch, vice president of automotive design at Honda R&D Americas in Ohio, told the employees. "This Pilot is all-business. It's impressive on the outside, the inside and underneath."

The new vehicle, a 2009 model that is expected to hit dealer lots in May, is bigger and boxier than its predecessor, which debuted in 2002 and marked Honda's entry into the midsize SUV market. Since then, Honda has sold almost 750,000 Pilots, and the sport utility has racked up an impressive string of awards.

Also on Tuesday, automotive trade journals weighed in on the vehicle's reincarnation.

Autoblog said that in spite of the "rather barn like" shape, the new model is actually more aerodynamic than the original Pilot, resulting in less wind noise. Other pluses cited include an upgraded, more fuel-efficient engine and improved driving experience.

"Setting aside the Pilot's appearance, the new unit is generally a much better vehicle than the 2008 model," Autoblog says, noting that the 2009 model is designed for function. "(It) isn't likely to set anyone's heart aflutter ... For what this vehicle is supposed to be, it seems very capable."

Edmunds Inside Line says the new Pilot has gotten serious about its sport utility mission as other similar vehicles have given in to being more like all-wheel-drive station wagons.

The vehicle sets itself apart because "it values real utility, not just comfort and convenience. It gets there by applying truck-think - appreciation for practical, intelligent function."

Paluch told employees that the second-generation Pilot is designed to be an "intelligent adventure vehicle," meaning that it will meet the practical needs of families with its eight-passenger seating and advanced safety and fuel efficiency technologies.

In keeping with the "intelligent adventure" theme, Honda distributed to its Alabama employees backpacks embroidered with the message: "The New Pilot Takes Flight."

Eight employees, all representing different parts of the plant, rode in the vehicle as it rolled off the line at 10:05 a.m. The crowd that gathered included Line 2 production workers, as well as business office and support staff.
Honda videotaped the event and plans to replay it for employees on different shifts and in other parts of the plant. Cake also was served to all employees and contractors.

The plant will keep that first vehicle and display it in the welcome center lobby.

With the advent of the 2009 Pilot, the 2008 Pilot hit the end of the road in a rolling model change. The assembly line did not shut down as production of the previous model ceased shortly before the redesigned model rolled out.

It's the second full-model changeover for the Lincoln plant, which also builds Odyssey minivans and soon will produce the Ridgeline pickup. In 2004, the plant turned out a redesigned Odyssey.

The new Pilot will go on sale May 22, pushed up from an original date of June 5.

"We know we have dealers that are already out of the '08 Pilot and are anxious to get the '09 Pilot," plant spokesman Mark Morrison said.

Morrison said Honda executives have praised the Alabama plant's efforts in the Pilot changeover, which has allowed workers to strengthen their skill sets.

"It's a testament to the work force of Alabama to be able to handle the responsibility of a popular vehicle like the Pilot," he said.

E-mail: dkent@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyncrystal View Post
I got a package about B-ham in the mail yesterday and the picture they had of the skyline was awesome! It thought it was Baltimore for a sec and then I realized it was Birmingham. B-ham is the best place to be in the fall.

That is a great pic of downtown. I scratched my head for a while trying to figure out where it may have been shot. The only place I can figure is the Alta Vista Hotel?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Oh no! I don't believe that's EIFS. That's either stucco or a rub of some sort.
I think Port_of_Bama is talking about homes like what's in the Hollywood section of Homewood. I'll take some pics next time I'm out.

You know... the Summit is a Spanish type development? Right?
That would be EIFS.

Nice house optimus. I would call that a Spanish Craftsman! :

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:24 PM
Closed account

UAB Womens and Childrens Center

Here's an updated pic

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
That is a great pic of downtown. I scratched my head for a while trying to figure out where it may have been shot. The only place I can figure is the Alta Vista Hotel?
I love the pic, makes people think about Alabama.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Downtown Renaissance

I found this to be a good sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast