HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:07 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2014 in SAPPORO

Sapporo is a relatively young city in Japan. Its urban history began in 1869 and the city is now home to 1.9 million people. Laid out in a grid format, it is hard to get lost when the streets are named relative to the center point of the city in a numbered fashion. However, you wouldn't want to be lost during the cold winters; snow covers the ground on average 132 days of the year, with about 600 cm per season!

The Former Hokkaido Government Office Building was built in 1888 in the neo-Baroque style. Its red bricks are quite distinct although the interiors are not particularly special.

Perhaps because it was still chilly, but the rest of Sapporo in this part of town appears empty.

The linear Odori Park is only a few blocks away and stretches across many blocks east-to-west.

Built in 1926, this historic building is the former Court of Appeal. There is still a court room inside with other exhibitions. They open until quite late - 7pm, and I was the only visitor there when I arrived close to closing.

Right above the JR train station is an observation deck with a lovely view of the city from the 38th floor.

Even the toilet has plenty of views so you don't want to leave.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/sapporo.htm

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 7:14 PM

I love Japan, my favourite country in the world before to Argentina

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:40 AM
Community Guy

Concur, love it.

Sadly, the North will have to be trip 3.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 10:03 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

amazing how all the same it looks, in a good way

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 6:15 PM
Hong Kong

Mt. Moiwa stands 531m above the city. To get to the observation deck, take the ropeway first to the intermediate station, and then transfer to a rail-based car for the rest of the way. The observation deck was renovated in 2011 and offers a roof-top outdoor viewing area.

After a cold sunset on top of Sapporo, it is time for dinner in Ramen Alley. It was quite hard to find at first, as the alley is through a narrow, unmarked opening on one side.

There is also raw fish available at the local fish market.

The tram network is a loop on the western part of the city. It is not particularly useful for tourists except accessing the Mt. Moiwa Ropeway. Pay upon exit, although you can use the change machine at any time onboard to get the right amount.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 5:06 AM

Nice pictures! I have friends in Sapporo, so it's nice to see what it actually looks like.

What time of year were these pictures taken? I know they get a lot of snow, and I'm wondering when spring arrives.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:45 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures! I have friends in Sapporo, so it's nice to see what it actually looks like.

What time of year were these pictures taken? I know they get a lot of snow, and I'm wondering when spring arrives.
I took these in late April and winter was starting to go away. There was still a little snow on the ground although temperatures did hit 20C but dipped below 10C at times.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:18 PM
Hong Kong

Jozankei is reachable by city bus from Sapporo station. The buses don't come often, and there aren't enough seats to satisfy demand. Get there early! It's not a great ride to stand for over an hour.

Be careful when you wander around the terminus, but they installed railroad crossing-style barriers to keep you and the buses safe.

Next to this temple is a little hot spring where you can soak your feet. Yes, it's open to the public at any time!

Roll up your pants and enjoy the hot water while winter continues outside.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:30 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Wow. Great post hk....haven't seen much of this city before.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I took these in late April and winter was starting to go away. There was still a little snow on the ground although temperatures did hit 20C but dipped below 10C at times.
Thanks. I've been to Buffalo and Toronto in early April, and this looks like that time of year in those cities. I'm guessing then, for my sake, that Sapporo is a couple weeks behind the Great Lakes as far as spring arriving.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:19 AM
RIP Knut!

awesome! i will be visiting Sapporo in January
Which hotel did you stay in? was it good?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:59 AM

Thanks for opening up a whole new part of the world to me!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:53 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very nice pics of Sapporo. Thanks for sharing. It is a pleasure to see so nice places like Sapporo.

By the way, a famous spanish skier won a gold medal in the special slalom in the Winter olympic Games of 1972 in Sapporo.

Contrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:07 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Nice!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 12:43 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallo View Post
awesome! i will be visiting Sapporo in January
Which hotel did you stay in? was it good?
I stayed in a cheap hotel with ultra-small rooms across from the railway station. I bumped into the bathroom walls and door almost constantly but the price was great!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos