HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 5:10 PM
not a NIMBY

Last edited by Jimby; Dec 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 5:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beautiful pictures.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 5:31 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Are the Lower Don Lands set to be completely re-naturalised in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games? And wasn't Rob Ford trying to deminish the amount of space allocated toward park land, in favour of additional development?
The Ford Brothers did indeed want to change the plan (by selling it off to private developers), but failed to do so. The existing plan will probably not even begin construction until after 2015 though. Only the West Don Lands will be ready in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
This would have been the view from around the area the Rainbow Bridge now crosses from the Canadian side of the Niagara. This river may have been the first heavily industrialized after the introduction of hydro electric power and the Niagara being the birth place of the technology in North America and only 3 years after the first plant in England.

This is unbelievably awesome.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 5:37 PM

The cool thing is even today you can see the old tunnels in the sides of the cliffs where factories and mills once stood above. It would have been great to see in person but one can only imagine the environmental impact those places had on the river and western Lake Ontario. I realize most of what we see is just the water outflow used for power but I'm sure any and all industrial waste was ending up in that water as well.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 6:01 PM

Elora, You can't really tell from this side but it's one of the prettiest towns in Ontario built around a mill on the Grand River.

Taken by: Now and Here on flickr.com

Taken by: lomo ibereco's on flickr.com

Taken by: elora mews on flickr.com

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 6:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This thread has been eye-opening. I had no idea Ontario had towns that were beautiful in the very cool, unique way that Paris and Elora are. It's just awesome.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 6:24 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Elora, You can't really tell from this side but it's one of the prettiest towns in Ontario built around a mill on the Grand River.

Taken by: Now and Here on flickr.com
are those pylons for a collapsed bridge?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
This would have been the view from around the area the Rainbow Bridge now crosses from the Canadian side of the Niagara. This river may have been the first heavily industrialized after the introduction of hydro electric power and the Niagara being the birth place of the technology in North America and only 3 years after the first plant in England.

Tesla started it all. He is the father of modern technologies of every sort. Including the very source of electricity we all use today.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 7:39 PM

Ya, it used to be an old rail bridge. I remember crossing it on foot as a child and it was very sketchy. No doubt taken down for safety reasons.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The Ford Brothers did indeed want to change the plan (by selling it off to private developers), but failed to do so. The existing plan will probably not even begin construction until after 2015 though. Only the West Don Lands will be ready in time.
I hope the Lower Don Lands will be re-naturalised according to the current plan. Toronto needs this sort of brilliant green space, considering the exceptional growth and increasing density the downtown has been seeing. Urban environments need park lands as well -- and Toronto's core is somewhat lacking in this realm.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 8:39 PM
BANNED

Rivers are very important to Calgary, and there are a number different ways each of them adds to the community. If you count Fish Creek, which is in Fish Creek Provincial Park inside Calgary city limits, there are three main rivers. I think I’ll cheat and touch on a number of different key locations on each river but only post links to Google image searches. If someone wants to find specific good pictures they feel represent these regions please feel free to do so.

I’ll start with the Elbow River, which starts to become important to Calgarians west of the city at places like Elbow Falls and Allen Bill Pond.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=elbow...DKLtiwLf_YCQBw
https://www.google.ca/search?q=allen...w=1280&bih=610

Within the city limits the first area is the Weaselhead Natural Environment Park, which is between the Tsuu T’ina First Nation lands and the Glenmore reservoir. It’s a very popular natural area with a lot of trails and one paved path that joins North Glenmore Park with South Glenmore Park. Side note: since the Weaselhead boarders the reserve there is a more or less clear path for wildlife to migrate from the foothills into this area and the surrounding neighbourhoods. As a result every couple of years some homeowner in Lakeview wakes up to find a bear or a cougar up a tree in his front yard.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=calga...3KF4z0iwKK-YBI
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/calga...103/story.html

The Glenmore Reservoir supplies half the treated water for Calgary, and it’s also surrounded by parks and pathways. South Glenmore Park also has a small sailing club while North Glenmore Park has a rowing club.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=calga...w=1280&bih=589
https://www.google.ca/search?q=South...w=1280&bih=610
https://www.google.ca/search?q=north...w=1280&bih=610

On the east side of the reservoir is Heritage Park, and one of its features is a smaller scale replica of a sternwheeler called the SS Moyie that used to work on Kootenay Lake in BC in the early part of the 20th century. They use it to take people on boat rides around the reservoir.
http://www.google.ca/search?num=10&h...ac.E30TpqkVZRI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moyie_%28sternwheeler%29

From the dam to the point where it joins the Bow River the Elbow winds through Calgary and past some very nice and well used parks, like the above mentioned Lindsay Park and Sandy Beach.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=sandy...w=1280&bih=610

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 8:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:

That's an amazing picture. It's interesting, ugly, and beautiful all at the same time.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 9:04 PM
ARTchitecture

It's cool but I hate it. I much prefer the current American Falls to that crap.

Here's a pic of American Falls as it is today. A beautiful section of the Niagara Falls system
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ls_rainbow.jpg

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 9:06 PM
Look at me!

So is that a view of Niagara Falls, NY?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 9:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are quite a few of those weird built-into-the-cliffs buildings around St. John's. Especially in the Battery and an Southside Road. They generally have a Warning: Confined Space sign. I wonder if they were somehow related to hydroelectricity?

Here's a smaller one (the only one I could remember enough to think of a street address near on Google Maps) :

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 9:17 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
So is that a view of Niagara Falls, NY?
No it's a view of American Falls with buildings built up/damming the flow. American Falls is slightly Southwest of the city of Niagara Falls New York.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's cool but I hate it. I much prefer the current American Falls to that crap.

Here's a pic of American Falls as it is today. A beautiful section of the Niagara Falls system
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ls_rainbow.jpg

This is further down from the American Falls. Built along the side of the gorge with aqueducts and canals built to power industry.

The American Falls have only been stopped one time.

“In June 1969, U.S. engineers diverted the flow of the Niagara River away from the American side of the falls for several months.

“Their plan was to remove the large amount of loose rock from the base of the waterfall, an idea which they eventually abandoned due to expense in November of that year.

[. . .]

To achieve this the army had to build a 600ft dam across the Niagara River, which meant that 60,000 gallons of water that flowed ever second was diverted over the larger Horseshoe Falls which flow entirely on the Canadian side of the border.

“The dam itself consisted of 27,800 tons of rock, and on June 12, 1969, after flowing continuously for over 12,000 years, the American Falls stopped. Over the course of the next six months thousands of visitors flocked to the falls to witness the historic occasion.

I remember seeing this, although as I was nine at the time, I can’t say with certainty that it was in person . . . I might be mistakenly remembering seeing it on TV, although my family visited Niagara Falls frequently during the late 1960s and early 1970s.

http://quotulatiousness.ca/blog/2010...falls-ran-dry/

Last edited by Andrewjm3D; Dec 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I've never understood how this claim got started. The US alone has many river ports (which are definitely inland!) that are busier than Montreal - Baton Rouge, St Louis and Pittsburgh each handle almost twice the traffic as Montreal. And since at least 1957 Duluth has always handled over 50% more traffic than Montreal. And then there are numerous Chinese river ports that handle way more traffic.
I think it is accurate if we only calculate by number of containers and not by overall volume. Montreal is not a huge port for cereals or petroleum for example but more than 1 million containers (1.3 M last year) transit by Montreal every year.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 PM

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Closed account

Bracebridge, Ontario:

Bracebridge is located on the Muskoka River and features two waterfalls right in town. They continue to generate electricity from the lower falls.

Upper Falls

Lower Falls

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada