HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 5:48 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
22 feet on FCP and 2 feet on the Mirvish/Gehry tower is what's preventing us from achieving world-classdom.
Are you stupid? With the spire FCP is over 350 feet, thereby making Toronto easily worldclass. Or are you one of those people that think spires shouldn't count? I bet you think excavation is a part of construction too...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 1:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If you want a laugh, you don't need parody (although that is plenty fun). You can get the real thing here: Non-Canadians: Have You Ever Heard of the Calgary Stampede?

It's got the whole she-bang:

Sarcasm:
Quote:
Great thread... thought-provoking and stimulating... really adds a lot of value to the forum.
Sarcasm:
Quote:
Did you ever hear of Ribfest?
How about the Ailsa Craig Quilting Bee?
The Hyde Park Santa Claus Parade?
Kirkland Days?
Thin-Skinned-ness:
Quote:
Jesus relax.

It's just a question. Did clicking on this ruin your life?
Thin-Skinned-ness:
Quote:
This thread is pretty hilarious actually. Aside from the US Canada banter, the fact the the title of the thread is meant for non-Canadians, but most of the posts are from Montrealers, who *don't care* about anything in Calgary.
Thin-Skinned-ness:
Quote:
Wow, look at all the Torontonians in a thread directed at non-Canadians about the Calgary Stampede! This can be another learning opportunity for our American friends. Many Torontonians are VERY insecure and jealous about Calgary, and it’s about more than just the Stampede. There may be more Torontonians in this thread than Calgarians, in fact, and all trying to run down Calgary. Classy people.
Reality-Checks:
Quote:
Canadians can be so delusional at times. Or maybe it's just on this forum. I recall on another thread that a poster from Edmonton actually claimed that its fringe festival was internationally famous. The mind boggles at the ignorance.
Reality-Checks:
Quote:
we're very annoying. in the expat world, we're either these sort of quasi-american transnational ciphers (esp. anglo-quebecers), or we're these irritating "did you know canada has the 9th most important potassium reserves in the world" sort of party-ruiners.
Reality-Checks:
Quote:
Calgary is sort of like the 16-year-old kid who got laid for the first time and now thinks he's Casanova.

We all find him to be a likeable guy and are happy for his good fortune, but he can sometimes get a bit carried away with some of his pronouncements.

Always good for a chuckle though.
STFUs:
Quote:
Jesus Christ ____. Alberta isn't as well known or amazing as you seem to think it is.
STFUs:
Quote:
Your charm is only superseded by your incorrigible wit. But I'm afraid you've stumbled here: there's one internationally renowned fringe festival out there, the original and the grandaddy of them all, and it sure as shit ain't in Edmonton.
But since I'm a troll and you're not, I should probably shut up now.
Indignant self-righteousness:
Quote:
The Canadian Stampede is world famous. Anyone who hasn't heard of it is pretty ignorant.
Indignant self-righteousness:
Quote:
NOBODY ON THIS FORUM KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT ME. AT ALL. INCLUDING YOURSELF. THEY COME ACROSS AS IDIOTS WHEN THEY PRETEND THEY DO.
Pot, meet kettle:
Quote:
Yes, because I never make sarcastic remarks
Obviously you know me well enough to comment on what type of remarks I do or do not make. Wait, you don't know anything about me, and have no idea what kind of remarks I do or do not make. You've never even met me, and are speaking nonsense. For you to pretend you have any knowledge at all about me or the kind of remarks (sarcastic or not) I would make shows an incredible level of arrogance on your part. You know NOTHING about me.

You don't see me commenting on whether or not ____'s remarks are likely sarcastic or not. That would be stupid, because I've never met you and know nothing about you.
Pot, meet kettle:
Quote:
Ridiculous comment. You have no more idea the kind of posts I make than I do the kind of posts you make.

I find it stupid when people pretend they know what kind of comments I make on this forum when I don't pretend to know the kind of comments they make. You have no idea what kind of comments I tend to make any more than I know what kind of comments you tend to make.

This is what pisses me off on here. When people pretend to know something about me or what I post. If I'm not pretending to know what kind of posts you make, you shouldn't pretend to know what kind of posts I make. Nobody here knows anything about me. Yet people are always making comments about me. These people have no idea, and look foolish when they pretend they do. Unless you've read nearly every post I've ever made, you cannot comment on what my posts "in most every thread" do or do not lack. You don't know. Don't pretend to.
Parody:
Quote:
you're a liar. anyone who thinks that is ignorant.
Parody:
Quote:
You know nothing about him. That's incredibly arrogant on your part.
Parody:
Quote:
My posts are world-famous like the Calgary Stampede and the Edmonton Fringe Festival! How can you be so ignorant of them all?
Parody:
Quote:
YOU LIE! Penguins only live in the southern hemisphere. Why are you such a LIAR?"
All of the above:
Quote:
I fuck's with Sheep's bladders, plenty of protein, great with wine. Whining about others whining is whining also.
The thread that just keeps on giving. Cheers me up on a Monday morning.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jun 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 2:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
God, this thread just reeks of Canadian insecurity. This is why Vancouverites never post here. I feel we have more in common with SF and Portland than any other city in Canada.
I've never seen a more transparently targetted, personal attack thread. I'd say I'm shocked the mods have let this continue, but I'm not terribly surprised.

But I'm just being thin-skinned.

Grow up, children. This is beneath even some of you.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:37 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I've never seen a more transparently targetted, personal attack thread. I'd say I'm shocked the mods have let this continue, but I'm not terribly surprised.
For the most part, they're just attacking _______.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Newfoundland political update.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
For the most part, they're just attacking _______.
Happiness and optimism?

Seriously, what a bunch of miserable fucks sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:58 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Happiness and optimism?

Sorry, I forgot the happy face again.

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 11:42 PM
gettin' rich!

A City can NEVER hope to be one of the worlds GREAT CITES without a Tower of AT LEAST 400 meters.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Happiness and optimism?

Is this still parody?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:

But I'm just being thin-skinned.

Grow up, children. This is beneath even some of you.

I must admit I did get a chuckle out of

"We punch above our weight at punching above our weight, though we still need to do more work on doing more work on this. Still, we punch above our weight the way we punch above our weight at punching above our weight.

Though we could still do more work on this.
"

And yes, I would say you're a particularly thin-skinned SSPer. Especially for a Calgarian.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 4:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Who needs stampedes anyway when we've got salmon festivals, and even more than one?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And yes, I would say you're a particularly thin-skinned SSPer. Especially for a Calgarian.
Ye. Based on the fact that I correct sheer ignorance, and I dislike transparently personal attacks, I'm pretty thin-skinned.

Rich accusation coming from a Quebecer btw. Fuck it, let's just turf this stupid thread and bring up transfer payments.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Is this still parody?
Nope. Some of us have the balls to say what we mean, instead of hiding behind passive-aggressive drive-by comments and feigning innocence.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 2:58 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Well, that escalated quickly.

In the meantime, I guess Edmonton is about the get the tallest all-residential building in a main downtown core area in western Canada north of the 52nd Parallel.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
In the meantime, I guess Edmonton is about the get the tallest all-residential building in a main downtown core area in western Canada north of the 52nd Parallel.
Parodying yourself isn't the point of this thread - keep up, man!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:06 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ I'm not parodying myself. I just hope the guy I am parodying knows I do so endearingly.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:25 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
^ I'm not parodying myself. I just hope the guy I am parodying knows I do so endearingly.
Well you included your own city. Still bad. If you're gonna do it, you have to pick the stereotypical "vs" city for Edmonton, according to SSP terms. And it has to be really obvious that you're acting like you're in grade school, so that you can rejoinder with "but he did it firrrrrrst!!!".

So you can insult the East, that's a broad enough and a logical target for a Westerner. Quebec is a bit tricky for you, as it's more of a Calgarian thing. Or Saskatchewanian. But Edmontonians just aren't known for their attacks on Quebec. You coulda gone random and picked Quebec City, no one really picks on them much. Maybe start a new meme. Oooo, you could also have used Vancouver, especially if you included a comment about teal glass.

And no, Calgary is not an option for you. The "Battle of Alberta" only exists because of CBC hype and therefore isn't really a rivalry 'round these parts. So sorry, the obvious choice is out.

I think Vancouver or Toronto are your best bets, because you can also include an accusation that they're thin-skinned. Again, I just don't see QC coming off that way. Maybe they're just too quiet on this forum, I'm not sure.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:52 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Now either you're just taking the fun out of it, or you've taken it to a whole new level of absurdity.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:53 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I can't tell anymore if this thread has become what it was parodying or if it's just gone so far into parody that I can't tell what is real and what isn't anymore. This is way too meta for me.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Kinda like Hipsterism. The level of irony (replace here with people punching way above their weight in parody or self-righteous indignation) has gone so far, it is hard to say whether behavior is still really driven by irony.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada