HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am a typical

But why the emphasis? You say the article is about "violence" then emphasize the whole thing, which pretty much negates emphasizing it at all. The point of emphasizing key lines is to make the point of the story more visible to readers so that they don't have to read the entire article to understand why you posted it, which as you can see, they don't do.

Let me show you:

Quote:
Homicide rate on tragic pace
July 1, 2009 | tbnewswatch
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=60218

As 2009 reaches its midlife, Thunder Bay is already seeing one of its worst years for homicides.

Thunder Bay Police Service has investigated four murders in the first six months of the year, this after going through all of 2008 without a single homicide case reported.

The highest number of murders ever recorded in Thunder Bay is seven, back in 1984 and 1992. The city has also held the dubious distinction of murder capital of Canada twice – in 1995 and 1999. Police Chief Bob Herman said he is aware of the statistic.

City police have arrested five people in connection with the four murders reported this year. Herman said he doesn't like to get into the numbers, but said he recognizes that the figures are used by some as an indicator of community safety.

The Chief said you have to look at how the community feels about safety. The force's annual survey indicates that 75 per cent of Thunder Bay residents do feel safe in the daytime.

Herman said you have to look at every homicide on a case-by-case basis, and during his career with the force, Herman said he has never been able to rationalize why people commit senseless crimes.
You can read the three emphasized sentences and understand the gist of the article. The rest is basically filler. We can now discuss those two points. That is how emphasis works.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
But why the emphasis? You say the article is about "violence" then emphasize the whole thing, which pretty much negates emphasizing it at all. The point of emphasizing key lines is to make the point of the story more visible to readers so that they don't have to read the entire article to understand why you posted it, which as you can see, they don't do.

Let me show you:

You can read the three emphasized sentences and understand the gist of the article. The rest is basically filler. We can now discuss those two points. That is how emphasis works.
Well I explained earlier that I wasn't bolding anything for emphasis...it's just habit from another board I visit where it is common practice to bold articles to separate them from your own comments. You'll notice that every article I've quoted has been formatted this way. You're right though, I could have taken the time to highlight the specific section

Anyway...back on topic, WFP is reporting a discovery which is likely the city's 13th homicide of the year.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 6:26 PM
I am a typical

99.9% of the time here, body discoveries are people who went missing and were never found. It happened here a couple months ago, a body found in Boulevard Lake was a man who went missing from a bar in the north end in April.

Kinda creepy when you consider that it happened near a beach visited by at least 2,000 people every day.. They were swimming with a corpse.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 4:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Suspicious death investigation now a homicide investigation
CJOB News Team reporting
7/3/2009

A suspicious death that Winnipeg police have been investigating this week has officially become a homicide.

The body of a woman was found late Tuesday afternoon in an apartment in the 200 block of Evanson Street.

Police are expected to release more details later this morning.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 6:08 PM
The Loyal Opposition

The following is reminiscent of that apparent Edmonton serial killer from a little while ago... prostitutes being dumped just outside of the city. Hope that this trend here in Winnipeg isn't serial in nature, or that Edmonton's guy didn't move here. Unfortunately, we do have a lot of missing women from vulnerable 'professions,' however.

Police identify body found in creek

By CHRIS KITCHING, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 3rd July 2009, 11:28am

RCMP have identified a 17-year-old Winnipeg girl whose body was found in a creek west of the city Wednesday afternoon.

Mounties said Cherisse Houle was reported missing to the Winnipeg Police Service on June 26.

RCMP said an autopsy has been performed but the cause of death remains undetermined.

Houle’s body was found by a backhoe operator in Sturgeon Creek, about four km west of the community of Rosser.

Anyone with information about Houle’s whereabouts on or after June 26 is asked to call the Headingley RCMP detachment at 888-0358 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

A construction worker found her body in a shallow creek bordered by farmland west of Winnipeg on Wednesday afternoon.

John Froese said he found the body in Sturgeon Creek, next to a gravel road off Provincial Road 221.

Froese said he parked his backhoe and was walking to a tractor-trailer parked nearby when he saw something in the water about 50 metres from a small bridge about 4 p.m.

"I took a couple of looks and at first glance it looked like a sandbag or something floating," said Froese, an Inground Construction employee who is installing water lines in the RM.

His curiosity got the better of him, so he walked closer and saw something that gave him goosebumps.

"As I walked closer, you could tell it was definitely a body," Froese said. "My first thought was she was dumped."

He said the female, who was face down, appeared to be in her early 20s, had long black hair, and was wearing white sneakers, blue jeans, and a white tank top. Her body was partially obscured by cattails.

Froese said it appeared she hadn't been in the creek for a long period. He didn't see any visible injuries on her.

Froese said he went back on to the gravel road and flagged down a passing truck, driven by a local man.

Emotionally shaken and wanting to be certain his mind wasn't playing tricks on him, Froese and the man took a quick second look in the creek before calling police, Froese said.

Froese said the RCMP officers who responded wouldn't tell him anything about the female or how she got there.

Yesterday, RCMP officers remained at the scene 18 km west of Winnipeg and blocked a couple of roads to prevent people from getting too close.

An autopsy was scheduled yesterday to determine how the female died, said RCMP Cpl. Bob Hodyr.

The northwest corner of Winnipeg and its outskirts in the RM of Rosser have gained an unwanted reputation of being a dumping ground for homicide victims.

Many victims found by passersby were prostitutes or members of outlaw motorcycle clubs.

People who live near the scene of Tuesday's discovery were shocked and a bit rattled.

"It's scary, man. There's been a few (bodies found in the RM of Rosser) but closer to the city," said one man.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/mani...11611-sun.html

Oh yeah... P.S. to Blake10... I read your post and obviously it was homicide-related. There are some Winnipeg residents here who look at everything through rose-coloured glasses and/or are blinded to the fact that Winnipeg has a crime problem. The fake 'crocodile tears' are just a show to try and discredit you, as those types are forever trying to impress those who do not live here.

As a city, we must recognize and be up-front about our crime woes, in order to inspire lawmakers from all three levels to get serious in addressing it. Winnipeg is many things... both good and bad (lots of good though, which is why I stay), but I see crime as the area in most need of improvement.

Now... wait for it... "the body found that was hastily thrown face-down in the creek just off a dirt road hasn't yet been officially ruled a homicide, how dare you post that here!"

Of course, the above is relevant, because of this within the article:

"The northwest corner of Winnipeg and its outskirts in the RM of Rosser have gained an unwanted reputation of being a dumping ground for homicide victims."

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jul 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 4:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no when everythbing he posts is bolded its rather anoying

anyhow

Homicide in Lynn Lake
CJOB News Team reporting
7/6/2009

Lynn Lake RCMP are investigating a homicide from the weekend.

49 year old Kenneth Dennis Hrechka was stabbed early yesterday morning and succumbed to his injuries a short while later in hospital.

42 year old Anna Louise Shortt is charged with manslaughter.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:11 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jul 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: sorry

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nice... the tallented drawing dude from the group of friends i hung out with in highschool was murderd friday

'Why is it so bad around here?'

Stabbing victim was gifted artist: parents

By: Lindsey Wiebe and Arielle Godbout
12/07/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 14
[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/578*428/1318147.jpg[/img] Enlarge Image
JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA The mother and father of murder victim Joseph Alexander Hall cry on their front steps as they recall Hall coming home Friday night bleeding from stab wounds.

The night before, she said, her son lay dying in her arms.
On Saturday evening the mother of Joseph Alexander Hall sat weeping on the stoop of her Aberdeen Avenue home, the nearby sidewalk wet from where she and family members had washed away the 24-year-old's blood.
Police responded to their home in the 300 block of Aberdeen at about 8:35 p.m. Friday night to find Hall suffering from stab wounds to his upper body. He was rushed to hospital but died as a result of critical injuries, police said. He is the city's 15th homicide victim this year.
"He staggered into my arms and that's where he died," Hall's mother said through tears, clutching a photo of Hall.
"He was a good boy. He never did drugs and he never drank," said the victim's father.
Police said the victim was stabbed near Aikins Street and Alfred Avenue, and managed to make his way back to his house, looking for help.
Hall's parents declined to give their names, but said their son was a gifted artist and a graduate of Tec Voc High School's graphic arts program. He had two siblings and had been working in the construction industry.
"All he wanted to do was go to university and get educated," said a woman who identified herself as Hall's aunt. "He was really artistic."
Family members said Hall had gone to a neighbouring home to borrow a computer disk to help him update his resume Friday before the stabbing took place.
An emotional neighbour said she had placed flowers at the corner of Aikins and Alfred, where blood covered the sidewalk Saturday morning but had been washed away by evening. Hers were among five bouquets in the grass the intersection Saturday evening, when shreds of police tape were still caught in a wire fence.
The woman, who identified herself as Anne, said she sat with Hall's mother earlier that day, offering consolation. Anne said she had lost two sons of her own and understood her neighbour's grief.
"That's all I've done today, cry and cry," she said.
Another neighbour looked distraught Saturday morning as she sat on her front porch with her mother and her two children, a four-year-old daughter and a five-year-old son.
All four heard sirens shortly before 9 p.m. Friday night, and they peeked out the window.
"We saw the man being brought out on the stretcher and that's when I said, 'that's enough,' and I closed the curtain," the mother said.
"He was covered in blood," added the neighbour, who did not want to be named.
She said the man had moved into the house recently.
The neighbour's mother, who had met the man and his girlfriend once, said they seemed like a nice couple and the man had been very polite.
"You couldn't imagine something like this happening to them," the mother said. "This is crazy, why is it so bad around here?" she asked, hugging her granddaughter close to her.
lindsey.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca arielle.godbout@freepress.mb.ca
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 12, 2009 A3

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 3:48 PM
I am a typical

You're next.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 6:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You're next.
its realy kicking in atm for me the loss of someone that was part of what made highschool enjoyable

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 5:07 PM

Man found burning in car in burnaby. Also man shot in surrey.

MV at 42

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 5:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

42 :o

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 6:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Police end landfill search for Winnipeg man's body

Last Updated: Thursday, July 16, 2009 | 12:02 PM CT Comments0Recommend5

CBC News

Police in Winnipeg have suspended the search of a landfill for the body of Jacinto Etcheverry, who they believe was killed at his apartment last year.
After spending more than $100,000 searching the Brady Road site, police now say it's unlikely they will find anything there.
Police had received a tip that Etcheverry, 46, was killed and his body was thrown in a dumpster near his Wolseley Avenue apartment in July 2008.
When they went to the scene to investigate, all the dumpsters had been emptied, so they turned their attention to the landfill.
Even without a body, police have charged a 31-year-old man, who they said knew Etcheverry, with second-degree murder.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 8:57 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

From dtoronto on SSC:

Heh, Pickering, Brampton, and Mississauga (in that order) all have higher murder rates than Toronto thus far.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 9:18 PM
I am a typical

Haha, you're winning!

A burned out car containing the remains of a man were found in the bush north of the city near the highway last Thursday. The remains were sent to Toronto for autopsy. A few days later, there was a fire at the apartment of the car's registered owner, who is missing. "Police suspect foul play." It isn't official a homicide yet but I would be surprised if it wasn't. Whoever was in that car and lived at that apartment obviously did something to anger someone else.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 12:48 AM

Windsor: 3
London: 3
Detroit: 216

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 1:01 PM

This was in the Globe today. Data from StatsCan. From lowest to highest crime severity index.

Crime in the cities

The police-reported Crime Severity Index measures crime rates, giving greater weight to more serious offences.

Guelph: 57.7

Saguenay: 59.2

Barrie: 63.6

Quebec: 63.8

Toronto: 64.2

Peterborough: 66.1

Kingston: 68.4

Kitchener: 68.9

Ottawa*: 69.0

Moncton: 72.8

Greater Sudbury: 73.6

Windsor: 75.3

Gatineau**: 76.0

Sherbrooke: 76.6

Hamilton: 77.0

Trois-Rivières: 78.2

St. Catharines-Niagara: 80.1

London: 84.6

Calgary: 84.7

St. John's: 86.4

CANADA: 90.0

Montreal: 91.2

Halifax: 95.6

Victoria: 101.4

Saint John: 102.9

Brantford: 104.3

Thunder Bay: 107.3

Vancouver: 119.0

Edmonton: 122.0

Winnipeg: 124.4

Kelowna: 126.4

Saskatoon: 137.8

Abbotsford-Mission: 142.5

Regina: 163.1

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 1:38 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Wow. Never really thought Abbottsford would be all that violent.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:27 PM

Yay East! I may be born a Westerner (Regina), but I'm glad I live in a city as safe as Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Wow. Never really thought Abbottsford would be all that violent.
Abbotsford is a disaster. It will likely only get worse too, as impoverished families are pushed out of metro Vancouver into the valley due to the exorbitant housing prices found in the city.

I'm not really surprised about this list, although somewhat surprised to see Calgary below the average. From some of the news stories I've been hearing and the anecdotes from friends and colleagues in Calgary it seemed like it had gotten really bad, but apparently it was somewhat exaggerated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada