Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 6:57 PM

In Phoenix, Signs of a Downtown That’s Ready to Thrive Again

In Phoenix, Signs of a Downtown That’s Ready to Thrive Again

Jan 3, 2017

By JON TALTON

Read More: http://www.citylab.com/commute/2017/...evival/511961/

Quote:
Phoenix, infamous for its cookie-cutter sprawl, is enjoying its most robust downtown building boom in decades. Compared with superstar cities, it’s a modest growth spurt: About 645 new apartment or condo units recently opened, another 1,830 are under construction, and more than 2,765 are in some form of pre-development.

- What isn’t happening, though, is the classic “back to the city” phenomenon at work in many other urban areas. No big companies have announced moves to downtown, as has happened in Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, even Detroit. Most of the area’s economic assets are far from downtown, especially in the suburbs of Scottsdale, Tempe, and Chandler. Instead, Phoenix is seeing the benefits of an unusual combination of drivers, especially the growing downtown campus of Arizona State University.

- As the city looks to make the most out of its strongest urban revitalization in decades, it should look back to understand how it got here in the first place. The story offers important lessons for cities that might model these successes, but also for Phoenix itself. In this city of newcomers and population churn, many people misidentify locations miles from the core as “downtown.” Even Downtown Phoenix Inc., a development group created by the city and local organizations, measures a footprint more than a mile larger than the traditional central business district.

- As recently as the early 1960s, the approximately half a square mile of true downtown Phoenix was the commercial and business center of the state. It was dense and walkable, with a new door beckoning every eight paces or so. The area sported a variety of architecture, including grand hotels, movie palaces, and Union Station, which was served by multiple passenger trains a day. But few major cities in America suffered such a combination of bad timing, bad luck, and civic malpractice. Phoenix became a city in the zenith of the automobile age—and following World War II, the age of mass-produced single-family housing.

- The first of many malls opened just north of downtown in the late 1950s, beginning a hollowing out of the historic retail core. Developers also began building towers more than two miles north, drawing commercial tenants away and obscuring the idea of downtown. Over time, even as banks built new skyscrapers downtown, the commercial heart of the area migrated northward, and eventually to neighboring Scottsdale. A freeway rammed through just north of the core replaced hundreds of historic homes. After all this, Phoenix lacked the corporate assets of similar sized cities, its civic stewards died off, and the real-estate industry was focused on building on the fringes and stealing assets from the core.

- City leaders were slow to recognize the problem or even see the need for a vibrant downtown at all. When they did, their response was to build a brutalist convention center and Symphony Hall, wiping out blocks of affordable commercial space as well as the city’s skid row, the Deuce. Historic preservation didn’t arrive in time to save some of the most valuable buildings, especially the spectacular Fox Theater. Instead, city hall embarked on massive tear-downs, leaving blocks of empty space, many of which remain today.

- Only under Mayor Terry Goddard, who served from 1984 to 1990, did intelligent steps begin to revive downtown. The biggest assist came from the grassroots. Artists and entrepreneurs worked for years to revive pieces of the core and get a suburban-minded city hall to understand the policies for downtown success. The preservation and comeback of lovely historic districts just north was another big help. Public investments were necessary, too, including in controversial sports facilities.

- This laid the groundwork for today’s more robust revival. Since 2006, ASU has moved several schools downtown and engaged in public-private partnerships with the city to spark development in the area. In 2008, a light rail system connected downtown to the main ASU campus in Tempe, with its lively small downtown, as well as to Mesa and Midtown Phoenix. Add to that a few new office buildings, restaurants and bars, a biomedical campus, and the nearby Roosevelt Row arts district, and what we see today is the most vibrant urban core the city has had in generations.

- But continued success isn’t a foregone conclusion. One big deficiency is a lack of private capital investment, especially for corporate headquarters. Downtown Seattle, as one counter-example, is home to several major corporate centers: Amazon alone employs more than 25,000 people and is building to accommodate 50,000. Phoenix, which attracts fewer college-educated adults than its peers, has nothing that can match this. One result is that it can’t offer a true live-work-play core, except for a fortunate few. The deeper problem is that Phoenix punches far below its weight economically. In the latest Milken Institute report on America’s best-performing cities, Phoenix ranked only 46th, despite being the 13th most populous metro area.

- Looking ahead, city leaders must double-down on attracting employers to downtown. This can be a heavy lift in a 518-square-mile city with council members who want prizes for their districts. They need to continue listening to downtown advocates on such issues as shade, walkability and making it easier to rehabilitate historic buildings. Merging all the center-city promotional and economic-development organizations into one Downtown Phoenix Inc., which happened in 2016, will boost advocacy efforts. The new apartments are relatively pricey, which is more a function of Phoenix’s low wages, but also a sign people are willing to pay a premium to live there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 7:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Admin note: If you don't have anything positive to say about this city or can't help but bring up certain other cities...spare us all the aggravation (and yourself a suspension) and just move on.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Every time I visit metro Phoenix I'm amazed at the level of development. Considering how bad the 2008 crash was, Phoenix has really surged back in both population growth and development.

I would say that Tempe and Scottsdale are definitely the most desirable nodes of the region. Downtown Phoenix, which was primarily a government center is doing a good job at attracting new permanent residents/students and that should help out with it's image.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 8:36 PM

Could the decentralization of the Valley be a hindrance to Downtown Phoenix really moving forward? After all, Tempe is growing upward more than another other place; Scottsdale is the nightlife and entertainment area; both Tempe and Scottsdale cater to young professionals; and Glendale gives Phoenix competition for sports entertainment with the football stadium and arena. What would make someone choose to live in Downtown Phoenix over Downtown Tempe, Downtown Scottsdale, or even near Westgate Glendale?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 8:43 PM
Never Dell

Downtown revivals never start big. Early rounds attract bigger rounds later.

I don't buy the idea from the article that a whole metro doesn't think urban. People don't live in cities only because they love everything about them. Maybe some people there for work or because their mother lives there would like a downtown option, which also has transit to other job centers and the airport. As Downtown grows, residents and companies will have increasing reasons to live there as services move in and synergies are added.

The university is a great aspect of this. College students don't have rush hour, contribute to the cafe, bar, and takeout culture, and keep sidewalks busy when office workers and residents don't.

And agreed with the need to focus on shade.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 9:31 PM

Am I missing something? What's with the admins being so protective for Phoenix here? I find that odd. In threads for other cities, I don't see such a warning. I was interested in what going on in Phoenix, but it doesn't seems the admins are not interested in people discussing the city, so I am not going bother reading the article.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:05 PM
Never Dell

Concur, though I chose to respond anyway.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:49 PM

Phoenix had 65,000 residents in 1940. Maricopa County probably had under 100,000. Downtown Phoenix was a small affair studded with two or three movie theaters (one of them may have been almost "grand"), maybe two department stores (anybody remember Goldwater's?), two moderate sized hotels (the distinctive Westward Ho and the San Carlos), and a few modest office buildings. Union Station may have been busy, but it wasn't very big. It is still there, I think, so check it out for yourself. Everything else was mostly one or two story commercial/retail structures. There were a few homes and small apartment structures. The rest of the city spread mostly to the north, northwest, and northeast for maybe a mile or so. My point is that downtown Phoenix mostly missed out on the post WW2 building boom because there wasn't much there in the first place, and initial post WW2 commercial development took place further north on Central Ave (think of a mini- version of LA's Miracle Mile ). When the huge postwar population gains began in the mid 50s, it took place north of downtown or in more typical suburban places like Scottsdale, Mesa, or Tempe. The so called revival of downtown Phoenix might actually be more accurately described as a very late coming of age of downtown PHoenix at the center of a huge metro area that will soon have 5 million residents. It is an entirely new creature for the most part.

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 6, 2017 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:19 AM

Phoenix has made strides but it's still got a way to go. Downtown still has large swaths of vacant land. Most of the development this cycle has been 4-5 story wood construction apartment buildings (with the exception of Portland on the Park and some public buildings). These were definitely necessary, as there were very few residents downtown before, and they had to start somewhere. What will be interesting to me will be whether the next step of taller proposals can get built. There are probably half a dozen 15-20 story apartment buildings proposed downtown. If/when those get built I feel like there can be some real momentum.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 9:53 AM

I think "downtown" is almost a misnomer when it comes to the Phoenix area. It's almost puzzling why it is where it is in the first place.

Phoenix is not a financial center, or even a major hub for business in general. Nor is it a cultural hub, or an academic one (which is not going to be changed by a satellite campus of a mediocre state university). When tourists visit the area, the attraction is Scottsdale (spas, golf) and maybe a hike up Camelback mountain.

There are American center cities enjoying a revival because 1) something existed there before and 2) there is a reason for them to exist as economic, cultural and academic hubs. Downtown Phoenix is not really any of those things. Embrace what the Greater Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/Glendale area is - a resort town and retirement community with a large hospitality/service economy and construction industry to support those primary functions.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:29 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I think "downtown" is almost a misnomer when it comes to the Phoenix area. It's almost puzzling why it is where it is in the first place.

Phoenix is not a financial center, or even a major hub for business in general. Nor is it a cultural hub, or an academic one (which is not going to be changed by a satellite campus of a mediocre state university). When tourists visit the area, the attraction is Scottsdale (spas, golf) and maybe a hike up Camelback mountain.

There are American center cities enjoying a revival because 1) something existed there before and 2) there is a reason for them to exist as economic, cultural and academic hubs. Downtown Phoenix is not really any of those things. Embrace what the Greater Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe/Glendale area is - a resort town and retirement community with a large hospitality/service economy and construction industry to support those primary functions.
As far as I can tell, Phoenix's downtown is there because the train stop was built there and the territorial government decided to set up shop there. Historically, it was a minor state capital that started growing ... and growing ... and growing.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:55 AM

Well right, which means that today it lacks a real raison d'être. Nor is there a critical mass of man-made infrastructure to sustain it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:57 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Am I missing something? What's with the admins being so protective for Phoenix here? I find that odd. In threads for other cities, I don't see such a warning. I was interested in what going on in Phoenix, but it doesn't seems the admins are not interested in people discussing the city, so I am not going bother reading the article.
Have you seen the Houston thread in this section? If not, go take a look...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:35 PM
Never Dell

Why does DT Phoenix exist? Businesses like to cluster, particularly certain industries. Some people like to live in urban places. Conventions want to be walkable or at least near large numbers of hotel rooms. All of the above want easy access to the airport and transit.

It's the same as any city, minus the waterfront. Downtowns always play a role. In Phoenix it's been a smaller role, and now that's starting to change.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:50 PM
E pluribus unum

Phoenix used to have a water front of sorts with the Salt River, but that stopped after the Roosevelt Dam was built in the 1910s. That river was the lifeblood for hundreds (if not thousands) of members of the Hohokam Tribe hundreds of years before Jack Swilling and Darrell Duppa ventured into the Salt River Valley in the late 1800s.

I'd love for there to be less vacant lots south of Downtown but when Sky Harbor Airport opened in the 1920s, it was out in the middle of nowhere. Nowadays, its right in the middle of town and that area south of Downtown gets the bulk of airplane noise from takeoffs/landings (PHX doesn't have a north/south runway).

Furthermore, if I could wave my magic wand, I'd love to see more cohesion between Downtown and the state government buildings to the west. As it stands, there's about a half mile to a mile of nothing between the two, which creates one hell of a dead zone and little to no interaction/street traffic between Downtown and the state's largest employer during weekdays. ASU Downtown has helped Downtown Phoenix look a lot more lively than it ever has since I've lived in Arizona (1996) but there's still a long way to go and a lot of disagreement amongst civic leaders concerning what they want Phoenix to be moving forward. I figure climate change will either force the city to be more innovative or they'll double down on what's "worked" for the past six decades.

As someone who doesn't live in the Phoenix metro but recognizes that its the driving force of our state's overall economy, I'm hoping against all odds for the former.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:23 PM

Is it a 9-5 downtown that's closed on evenings and weekends

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Furthermore, if I could wave my magic wand, I'd love to see more cohesion between Downtown and the state government buildings to the west. As it stands, there's about a half mile to a mile of nothing between the two, which creates one hell of a dead zone and little to no interaction/street traffic between Downtown and the state's largest employer during weekdays.
You may get your wish. The next two light rail spurs are (1) South along Central to Baseline and (2) West along Jefferson/Washington to the Capitol and then beyond along the I-10. There is already one 5-story condo proposal along the light rail route at about Washington and 10th Ave that has started some permitting, and seems like it has a reasonable chance to get built (or at least as much chance as anything in Phoenix).

Quote:
Is it a 9-5 downtown that's closed on evenings and weekends
Up until probably 10 years ago it was pretty much a 9-5 downtown. Now, there is definitely activity in the evenings and on weekends. Budding bar/entertainment scene. Seems like more so on nights when there are basketball/baseball games.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

Well, dowtown began as a rail stop and commercial/administrative hub serving a small town that grew eventually into a huge metro area. That is not unlike the history of many American downtowns. Downtown Phoenix never really grew large in the same manner as many other older cities, but it did remain the administrative center of government, serving both as the state capitol, county seat (Maricopa County is now the 4th or 5th most populous county in the nation), and seat of the municipal government for a city that now has over 1.5 million residents. Local, state, and federal courts are located downtown. There is a decent sized legal community needing office space nearby. Ditto for other business services that like to be in a central location. There are a number of largish corporations headquartered in the Phoenix area. I don't know how many of them office downtown. I think Freeport-McMoran is downtown, and Wells Fargo has a largish regional operation downtown. B of A may have something similar there as well. The largest hospitals are located on the periphery of downtown, as is the newly developed bio-medical research center which includes the Phoenix branch of U of Arizona Med School. The Suns and Diamondbacks play downtown. The not very impressive art museum is downtown adjacent. So is the very heavily used public library. Downtown is at the center of the regional freeway network, not unlike downtown LA on a much smaller scale, which makes it a convenient location for many. The light rail system seems to be connecting downtown with other areas of the metro. Yes, the Phoenix area is a big resort and retirement destination, but the majority of residents get up every day and go to work at a pretty wide variety of jobs that are probably not related to the resort or construction industry. I lived there just long enough (the summertime heat really got to me) to understand that Phoenix and environs is a bit more complicated than one might imagine.

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 5, 2017 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:06 PM

That's fine. The Chicago River is no longer a major shipping port. But you've got the lake, and the city's economic power, culture, shopping, entertainment and tourist attractions are all still centered downtown. In Phoenix that's not the case... much of that is in Scottsdale. It's like downtown LA, but without the critical mass to have a resurgence.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:17 PM

A bit of a tangent though, why is Scottsdale a resort? Dec Jan Feb are not quite pool weather, summer is too hot,.. and anyway why lounge around a smallish pool, when you can just go to the ocean in Florida? I totally understand having a pool yourself, it's a great personal luxury many Americans have. But why would you fly thousands of miles, to go to a pool?

Is it the golf?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions