HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 2:10 AM
Meh

The Future Is 2010

As a little kid, you might not be able to comprehend the future, but you do still wonder what it'll be like. What kind of person will you be, will you have kids, where will you live, what things will you do and be interested in. One thing I always wondered was what Austin might look like. What would home look like. I always pictured and had hoped our skyline would grow. Once I really got into skyscrapers during the 90s, I started to wonder if that would actually ever happen since our skyline had been so modest for so long. Now though things seem to be working out for our skyline with three new tallest this past decade. And instead of picturing our skyline to imagine it, I picture it to show it. So the future is 2010.

Video Link

The dog park at Auditorium Shores - Austin's front yard.

The Stevie Ray Vaughan statue on the shores of Lady Bird Lake commemorates one of Austin's favorite musicians. He played many concerts on the great lawn at Auditorium Shores. He died in 1990 in a helicopter crash in East Troy, Wisconsin after a concert that included his brother Jimmie, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray. His funeral was 4 days later in Dallas. His brother Jimmie, his mother Martha Vaughan, and girlfriend were there, along with Stevie Wonder, Buddy Guy, Dr. John, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne and Nile Rogers. He was buried next to his father. This statue was built 4 years later along Austin's Hike & Bike Trail.

This goofy dog was out about 30 feet from the shore and was barking as he swam down the river.

This is why Austin is called the city of the violet crown. Famous American writer, William Sydney Porter (pen name, O. Henry), wrote a line in his story: "Tictocq: The Great French Detective, In Austin" which was published in 1894.

Quote:
The drawing-rooms of one of the most magnificent private residences in Austin are ablaze of lights. Carriages line the streets in front, and from gate to doorway is spread a velvet carpet, on which the delicate feet of the guests may tread. The occasion is the entrée into society of one of the fairest buds in the City of the Violet Crown.
Another thought is that because Austin began to be called the Athens of the South, because of the University of Texas, that it was a reference to the same nickname for Athens, Greece. Around that time too, the Old Main at UT, which is now gone, used to be called the "The Parthenon of The University's Acropolis." It was completed 5 years before O. Henry wrote that phrase. O. Henry lived in Austin for a time while the Old Main was still under construction. He was fairly active in the community. The Old Main was demolished in 1935 to make way for the University of Texas Tower, which replaced the Old Main as the new one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry

~ Thanks for looking.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 2:18 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Nice skyline!

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 2:27 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Austin's skyline definitely looks like it's going places.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 2:38 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Nice pictures Kevin! I used to have the same thoughts wondering why we couldn't have a skyline growing up so it is nice that a transformation happened in my lifetime!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 2:50 AM
Closed account

I lived here about 30 years waiting for the skyline to look like it belonged to a city with Austin's population. There were some nice talls, especially starting in the 80s, but not many. I'm betting the skyline continues to grow by leaps and bounds once we get out of this recession.

Wow...the 10-15 degree weather earlier this month really devastated the greenery along Town Lake. But the good news is that it will be green again starting in late February!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 5:08 AM

Everytime I see one of these threads with Austin and all the beautiful new towers, it makes me a little sad about all the towers NOT built in Sacramento. Nevertheless, Austin looks fantastic and I hope I can visit someday soon. Thanks, these are great photos!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 5:18 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Boom.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 5:19 AM

look good. maybe in 20yrs you guys will have a skyline to rival edmonton or calgary .

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 6:01 AM
reticulating splines

Are you a badfish too? Ain't got no money to spend...

Great shots. The reflections over the lake are something else. Little by little, Austin's starting to look like a major city rather than just a capital/college town. Though in a way it might kind of dull that vibe that is uniquely Austin. Or does it just give a little something extra to look at while stuck in traffic on 35?

A buddy of mine who's a musician in Austin took a picture of me posing with Stevie there in the park. I never got it from him. Wonder if he still has it. I haven't been there since '07 - I'm long overdue. Maybe I'll bring the camera when I do go again. I'm probably boring people to death around here with Houston :p

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 7:17 AM

Blooming into one of the more unique skylines out there.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 8:14 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Nice ones mate - thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 9:22 AM
Illustrator, editor

Nice pictures! I can imagine how you think...if we could look into the future 10 or 20 years ago, parts our dreams would be fulfilled, when it comes to architecture in some places. It is like Turning Torso and the area around it here in Malmö, Sweden, 20 years ago I would never believe it would be built in the near future. But then, unfortunately many things have also become worse. In my city, for example, the crime rate has increased a lot.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 1:51 PM

Wow! Great view:

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 2:24 AM

Kevin:

I have to say this is probably my favorite skyline shot of Austin ever. Superb framing - everything is implied, nothing overstated. I know you love our new skyline probably more than all of us, but with judicious editing, you have captured the essence of Austin (new and old) in a way that is subtle and perhaps lost on anyone who has not stood on that spot this time of year. Bravo!

P.S. I think the new ACL backdrop needs to include building cranes along with the antenna farm. Tom: do you have any pull with Terry Lickona?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 3:16 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Looks like the future to me. Great set Kevin.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 3:24 AM
Red October standing by

sweet. love the magic hour shots.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:23 AM
Meh

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/...7fe85bec_o.jpg
Kevin:

I have to say this is probably my favorite skyline shot of Austin ever. Superb framing - everything is implied, nothing overstated. I know you love our new skyline probably more than all of us, but with judicious editing, you have captured the essence of Austin (new and old) in a way that is subtle and perhaps lost on anyone who has not stood on that spot this time of year. Bravo!
Thanks. I'm happy with it too and thought it went well with the theme of the thread. I didn't want to take just another shot of the statue with the skyline. Stevie Ray Vaughan appeared twice on Austin City Limits at their studios on the UT Campus. Once in 1983, and then again in 1989. The old studio will close down sometime next year when they open the new studios in the W Austin Hotel & Residences. In the photo, the W appears to the left behind the statue with the cranes. Stevie died in 1990, so there's some sentimental value to the original studio on the UT Campus and it's sad to see it close. He wasn't the only one who played there of course, but he sort of is the poster boy for Austin's musical history. But looking to the future, which is what this thread is about, we'll have the new larger studios in the W Hotel & Residences. I wanted to sort of mesh the view of the new ACL studios with the SRV statue to maybe bring the two together. Stevie also played many concerts at the park back in the 80s. Some of the old photos of concerts and even some videos there, showed the skyline back then being much smaller. Now it's 2010 and the skyline is bigger. Again, I wanted to tie it all together, the SRV statue, ACL studios, and the skyline and show what it looks like now. Some people think some of the great things that made Austin unique have disappeared, but I think we've gained a lot of things too, even though some things have gone away.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos