HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 12:34 PM
Closed account

nor is it anywhere near downtown.
If a city of half a mil has a shooting between feuding druggies once a month, that's pretty good in my books.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:17 AM

You guys might want to re-ground your "once a month" heuristic:

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/bre...s_4952331.html

So it does look like there are regular enough shootings. Anyway, I still like Hamilton all the same. I don't seem to remember it getting this cold during my previous visits though.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:20 AM
It's Hammer Time

This is February, a new month lol, just toying with you.

But yea it's a city of 700,000 and not what you may think a city of innocent angels.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:30 AM
Closed account

in my mind there is a big difference between drug buddies or drunk pals that shoot each other and actual 'shootings' where innocent people sitting on a TTC bus or shopping on Yonge St get shot and killed.
If some private club has shootings once a week, I really could care less.
I won't join. I'll simply continue walking in the city at all times of the day and night knowing that I'm completely safe as long as I don't join said private club.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
This is February, a new month lol, just toying with you.

But yea it's a city of 700,000 and not what you may think a city of innocent angels.
To say that Hamilton is a city of 700,000 people is fudging. You are probably quoting the census CMA figures, which include non-Hamilton places like Burlington.

I am guessing that it is no more or less dangerous to walk the streets of Toronto than it is to walk the streets of Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:38 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
To say that Hamilton is a city of 700,000 people is fudging. You are probably quoting the census CMA figures, which include non-Hamilton places like Burlington.

I am guessing that it is no more or less dangerous to walk the streets of Toronto than it is to walk the streets of Hamilton.
hmm, interesting opinion.
Let me know the next time you hear of an innocent bystander killed on an HSR bus or hanging out on Locke Street.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
hmm, interesting opinion.
Let me know the next time you hear of an innocent bystander killed on an HSR bus or hanging out on Locke Street.
I'm not sure about the bus incident, but the Yonge Street Labour Day shooting was over a year ago now. Toronto also has a much larger population than does Hamilton, so such incidents will happen with greater frequency as a matter of course. They hardly merit concern when walking the streets of the city.

Shootings in Hamilton do not scare me all that much either, but they do occur.... and I know that there have been instances of shots fired on the street.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:02 AM
Closed account

a young girl was shot on a TTC bus a number of months ago.
I have friends in Scarborough who's dad was shot in his backyard and someone else in their neighbourhood who was shot walking home from the grocery store. All recently.
Hamilton is incredibly safe for it's size.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 11:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I think this is where WZI would get the idea that Hamilton is dangerous. From the sounds of it, its just whiners who believe their city is super dangerous when they hear about a murder, which gets hyped up and actually does give the city a bad reputation.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hammer'd

Welcome to the Hammer I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 4:15 PM
Closed account

Most trouble you seem to see in Hamilton is due to drug related issues.

If in doubt you can purchase these at Canadian Tire and they are fairly inexpensive, is a personal alarm. Some are quite small and can attach to a keychain but they do have different styles.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion