HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:20 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Activity at Foster Auditorium has really picked up in the past few days. They have put up the chain link fencing around the building to prepare for renovation, and they have begun to remove appliances and furniture from the building. I don't know what the schedule is, as far as actual renovation goes, but it looks like it's going to start pretty soon.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:03 AM

Around town, the land behind Snow Hinton Park near McFarland Boulevard and Hargrove Road, which was one of the last sizable wooded areas inside the core of the city, is being cleared to make way for new upscale apartment complex/student colony development - The Woodland of Tuscaloosa.

Also, the former Circuit City slot in Midtown is quickly being converted into a Best Buy. It is supposed to open in time for the holiday shopping season.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:21 PM

Dynasty Park

Dynasty Park, an exciting new mixed-use development with plans to include condominiums, a condo-hotel with shopping and dining, is located directly across the street from the North entrance of Bryant-Denny Stadium. The new Discovery Center is set to open Saturday, September 19, 2009 and will be located at 728 Wallace Wade Av.
The Discovery Center will be open Monday – Friday throughout the Fall from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and on home game days, before and after the game.
The plans are still in the design stage and several facets of the development will be designed around feedback from the future Dynasty Park Founding Members including the unit sizes, the room counts, interior finishes, parking preferences, preferred retailers/restaurants and amenities.

“NEED NOT BE BUILT.”

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 3:14 PM

The Tuscaloosa News did a special report on the new Bank of Tuscaloosa Plaza.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/section/specialsection12

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 5:53 PM
Cat Enthusiast

By the way, the University reached its goal of 28,000 students this semester.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 6:36 PM

I am constantly amazed at just how much of the city's riverfront is undeveloped. Outside of the parkland on the east (south) bank and the industrial plants, much of the riverfront is in private hands and remains undeveloped.

For as long as I can remember, there has been some plans "in the works" or another to create a riverfront development on the west (north) bank along Rice Mine Road east of McFarland, but these never come to fruition for some reason.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Dynasty Park, an exciting new mixed-use development with plans to include condominiums, a condo-hotel with shopping and dining, is located directly across the street from the North entrance of Bryant-Denny Stadium.
Good, I had about given up on it.

Quote:
By the way, the University reached its goal of 28,000 students this semester.
It will be interesting to see UA's next "official" enrollment goal, and to see if/when/how the Bryce land factors into UA plans.

Quote:
For as long as I can remember, there has been some plans "in the works" or another to create a riverfront development on the west (north) bank along Rice Mine Road east of McFarland, but these never come to fruition for some reason.
I live in the neighborhood across the street from that land.
If there are still any active plans for that property, I haven't heard of it (and our neighborhood association does have a regular e-mail list).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:55 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Best Buy is set to open on October 22nd.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:57 PM

Just saw that something is going up downtown next to the former headquarters of Security Bank, now the HQ for Capstone Bank, which acquired Security Bank last year. Looks like it will be a major addition to the building.

Last edited by ttownfeen; Sep 17, 2009 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 8:47 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I know it's not development, but I just thought I'd share these pretty need photos I took the other day as a storm rolled over Ttown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 4:53 PM

Nice photos, Alabadrock!

So, the only updates as of late is the intermodal facility opening this week. Never seen so much ado over a parking lot.

Also, Dynasty Park has taken out a full page ad in the UA student paper. It looks like they haven't let the other condo development that going up next to their get in the way. They are now pre-selling units. However, their plans aren't finalized as they are advertising the fact that early adopters will have a say in the final design. Interesting.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 7:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Yea, I was waiting to get back to campus to post somethin on here about all that was in the Crimson White, but you beat me to it!!!

I'm glad they're still goin forward with Dynasty Park thing, or whatever it's called. It will be a welcome addition to the campus.

As for the parking deck, there is also supposed to be a nice park associated with it and the federal building. I'm hoping that this is a good park, and not some measly street corner landscaping project.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:06 PM

Nice photos ! I'll add a few more bits:

* Mercedes is considering moving C-class production to Vance.
* The Kress building downtown (which is very close to the new parking deck)
is for sale, asking $1.6 million.
* There is a "for sale" sign on the Northport downtown/riverfront property where previous plans had called for a hotel and condos.
* Downtown Northport's Shirley house museum has long-term plans for $400,000 of improvements:
http://northportgazette.com/articles...2866291075.txt

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:42 PM

Article discussing the renovation and new incoming exhibits and the Jones Archaeological Museum in Moundville.

New exhibit to examine beliefs, politics of Native Americans

It was also reported in the Tuscaloosa News a few days ago (can't find the article) that the project to transform the offices being vacated by the Corps of Engineers into space for the farmers market and offices for the Convention and Visitor's bureau are being significantly reworked. The cost of the project is being doubled and the space for the farmers market is being reworked to more easily allow expansion in the future.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:58 AM

McFarland Mall is on its dying breath. I went there today and it was a sad site. The food court is completely gone except for one Chinese restaurant. They've even removed most of the table except for the area around the restaurant.

I don't think there are twenty stores (including the kiosks) total still open in the interior part of the mall. I wish I had taken a camera to show just how empty it is in there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:41 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
McFarland Mall is on its dying breath. I went there today and it was a sad site. The food court is completely gone except for one Chinese restaurant. They've even removed most of the table except for the area around the restaurant.

I don't think there are twenty stores (including the kiosks) total still open in the interior part of the mall. I wish I had taken a camera to show just how empty it is in there.
After Dillards left, the place really took a nose dive. I think the people that recently bought the property are just waiting for the economy to pick up, then tear it down and build something nice.

It's some great property in a great location.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:00 AM

It's pretty common for old malls to die, but what is different from most cities is that the main center of retail (University Mall and Midtown) , for the metro area actually moved a little closer in toward downtown, rather than farther out.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 5:42 PM

Officials say city must offer retail incentives

Maybe this is why retail in Tuscaloosa has abeen lacking.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 9:39 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Picture of the south endzone expansion last night versus South Carolina.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast