HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Bank of America Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
No there isn't. Even if there was it would still be on par with the Westin's Sundial restaurant which is at about 700 feet since despite being a 1,023 foot building, the highest floors are in roughly just 50 feet higher since the roof it at only 770 feet and the Sundial's is 723 feet.

On a seperate note, I wonder when Atlanta will get a new tallest seeing that there is now some healthy competition from Los Angeles and San Francisco taking away Atlanta's official 'tallest in the US status outside of NY and Chicago' status.
How is the office market in Atlanta for a new 1000'+building today.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:49 AM
BANNED

^ non-existent. Maybe in another 15 years or so...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
^ non-existent. Maybe in another 15 years or so...
I wouldn't say "non-existent." There are certainly some players that could go out on a limb and pull this off, but we don't need it. The money that could do this is interested in other, more important things.

We are in-filling very nicely, which is exactly what we need.

Last edited by atlantaguy; Sep 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 8:49 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I wouldn't say "non-existent." There are certainly some players that could go out on a limb and pull this off, but we don't need it. The money that could do this is interested in other, more important things.

We are in-filling very nicely, which is exactly what we need.
Still kinda fun just to ponder and think 'what if' though... Well said though. It does get annoying when cities build a tallest strictly on the purpose of vanity or attention rather than practicality. There are far too many to name. ATL has had many vital new additions that have contributed greatly in just the last ten years alone.

The Symphony Tower and Sovereign are two in particular that have been the biggest game changers in the skyline IMHO since the early 1990's as noted in many movies, postcards and images showing the city's vibrancy and image.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Still kinda fun just to ponder and think 'what if' though... Well said though. It does get annoying when cities build a tallest strictly on the purpose of vanity or attention rather than practicality. There are far too many to name. ATL has had many vital new additions that have contributed greatly in just the last ten years alone.

The Symphony Tower and Sovereign are two in particular that have been the biggest game changers in the skyline IMHO since the early 1990's as noted in many movies, postcards and images showing the city's vibrancy and image.
To be honest, I'm not even sure where a new super tall would go. I'm guessing Midtown would be the top contender, but that is years and years off - if ever.

And I agree. Symphony (now more often called 1180 Peachtree) and Sovereign are my two favorite skyscrapers in the city.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:59 PM

Atlanta's largest office towers are showing very strong occupancy numbers lately, most ranging from 80-90+ percent occupied. Bank of America is only 50% occupied, though. Even though Atlanta is breaking ground on new office projects, I doubt the city will get another supertall when it's only one is half full. But, like atlantaguy said, Atlanta is getting a lot of great infill projects that are changing the city nicely.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:35 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Atlanta's largest office towers are showing very strong occupancy numbers lately, most ranging from 80-90+ percent occupied. Bank of America is only 50% occupied, though. Even though Atlanta is breaking ground on new office projects, I doubt the city will get another supertall when it's only one is half full. But, like atlantaguy said, Atlanta is getting a lot of great infill projects that are changing the city nicely.
It's not really a fair comparison. BoA is not in a highly desirable part of town - while Midtown and Buckhead are basically on fire, the stretch of properties between Midtown proper and downtown aren't really moving at all, with the exception of one new building (The Reynolds) in the last boom. If I was looking at office space in the city, this would not be my first (or second or third) choice.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:55 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Originally the crown was to be actual floors, but they ended up deciding to turn it into this crown structure.
Interesting. I've lived here since before the tower was built and never heard this before...where did you get this info? The existing roof has HVAC equipment, elevator penthouses, antennas, etc. and would require quite a design redo if enclosed floors were in that space.
The only major change I recall is originally every band of the crown was to be covered with gold and that obviously didn't occur. I think the crown would look much better with this completed and I'm still willling to chip in to make it happen.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
No there isn't. Even if there was it would still be on par with the Westin's Sundial restaurant which is at about 700 feet since despite being a 1,023 foot building, the highest floors are in roughly just 50 feet higher since the roof it at only 770 feet and the Sundial's is 723 feet.

On a seperate note, I wonder when Atlanta will get a new tallest seeing that there is now some healthy competition from Los Angeles and San Francisco taking away Atlanta's official 'tallest in the US status outside of NY and Chicago' status.
Technically the new Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in Philadelphia topping off at a cool 1,121 feet tall will be the new tallest building in the US outside of New York City and Chicago. The building is under construction now and is moving at a faster pace than Salesforce Tower in San Francisco.

Wilshire Grand will be 1,100 feet tall and will hold the title of tallest outside of NYC and Chi only for probably a few months until Philly's CITC tops off.

Salesforce in San Francisco will rise 1,070 feet tall.

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...-press-release

Skyscraperpage Forum Construction thread for it
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209240

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:52 AM
JoeCooper

I've been watching those projects too. Which makes one think now Atlanta 'pardon the fun' could now build a 1,123 foot tower, exactly 100 feet taller than the BOA, yet officially two feet taller than the new Comcast Innovation Center. In all seriousness though, ATL is on the right track and has so much going for it! What's interesting now is seeing how the details pan out for the Regent Development in Buckhead which will really make an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Technically the new Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in Philadelphia topping off at a cool 1,121 feet tall will be the new tallest building in the US outside of New York City and Chicago. The building is under construction now and is moving at a faster pace than Salesforce Tower in San Francisco.

Wilshire Grand will be 1,100 feet tall and will hold the title of tallest outside of NYC and Chi only for probably a few months until Philly's CITC tops off.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
I've been watching those projects too. Which makes one think now Atlanta 'pardon the fun' could now build a 1,123 foot tower, exactly 100 feet taller than the BOA, yet officially two feet taller than the new Comcast Innovation Center. In all seriousness though, ATL is on the right track and has so much going for it! What's interesting now is seeing how the details pan out for the Regent Development in Buckhead which will really make an impact.
Miami, Atlanta, Dallas and Seattle could all have future Supertalls in the mix. We'll see what comes down the Pipeline.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:19 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
Interesting. I've lived here since before the tower was built and never heard this before...where did you get this info? The existing roof has HVAC equipment, elevator penthouses, antennas, etc. and would require quite a design redo if enclosed floors were in that space.
The only major change I recall is originally every band of the crown was to be covered with gold and that obviously didn't occur. I think the crown would look much better with this completed and I'm still willling to chip in to make it happen.
I actually heard the opposite - nothing about the crown, but that there were only going to be ~50 floors and they raised it to 55, hence the setback up there. I don't think there were ever going to be so many floors that what is crown now would have been office space, though that would have been my preference, with a crown on top of THAT.

I think the building looks immense in person, especially from certain angles and right up close (it "appears" more like a 60-70 floor building), however, it's not structurally that tall if you consider that the top (55th) floor stops somewhere between 750-770' up.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:29 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

omg

THIS is how ridiculous all of that is:

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=65837109

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:30 PM

Another interesting tidbit about this building is that this is not the originally proposed location.

This was actually started by the former C&S Bank, and it was originally set for the heart of Downtown at the corner of Broad & Marietta. That site is now occupied by Georgia States Business School offices (the beautiful old, original C&S Bank).

Once the merger between C&S, NCNB and Sovereign happened and NationsBank was hatched, they moved it up to the border with Midtown. The beginning of the exodus of the major banks and law firms from Downtown to Midtown was just getting underway then.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
I actually heard the opposite - nothing about the crown, but that there were only going to be ~50 floors and they raised it to 55, hence the setback up there. I don't think there were ever going to be so many floors that what is crown now would have been office space, though that would have been my preference, with a crown on top of THAT.

I think the building looks immense in person, especially from certain angles and right up close (it "appears" more like a 60-70 floor building), however, it's not structurally that tall if you consider that the top (55th) floor stops somewhere between 750-770' up.
Just putting in my 2 cents about the crown. Forgot the source but I red the "cage" was supposed to be covered in glass. it was 2 b a giant atrium/glasshouse. However ether the glass was 2 heavy for the cage or the cage was not strong enough 4 the glass. It was 1 of those reasons. So they decided 2 leave it open.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:23 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture