HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Alright, for cities under 500,000 that punch above their weight in skylines...

1. Regina

2. Halifax

3. Saskatoon

4. St. John's

5. idk maybe London

In addition, for very small cities I always thought Prince Albert and North Battleford punched above their weight, not to mention Yellowknife.

For cities that UNDERPERFORM, I'd say Kitchener, Windsor, Moncton, basically every city under 500,000 in Quebec save for Gatineau...Kamloops, Prince George, Grande Prairie
Really? St Johns skyline punches above it's weight, and Windsor's skyline underperforms. Ok, well I guess you are entitled to your wrong opinion.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodelli View Post
Windsor's skyline is fairly average, the tallest @ 111m.

Which is coincidentally exactly half the height of Detroit's tallest @ 222 m about a kilometer to the north.

It's nearly impossible to get shots of Windsor's skyline alone anywhere except from the Detroit side of the river. But here's one with Detroit cropped out.

Some here have rated Windsor's skyline as being underwhelming. And it's not as dense as it needs to be:

Just one more:

At any rate Windsor is probably never going to be able to compete with its big neighbor.

(BTW, there are buildings and details missing from the SSP diagram, including two of the tallest. I'll have to get on it)
Sure, we don't have the tallest skyline, or most dense, but I think it's still pretty impressive for a city of 220,000 people. And in reality, it doesn't really matter much, since we have Detroit across the river and it's skyline blends in with ours when you're in our downtown, creating a very urban feel you can't get with a smaller stand alone city.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:40 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I think the only Canadian skylines that I could reasonably call "underperformers" are KW, St. John's, Ottawa, and Quebec City. Though in the case of the last two, the quality of the high-rises they do have at least make up for their short stature or small number.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think the only Canadian skylines that I could reasonably call "underperformers" are KW, St. John's, Ottawa, and Quebec City. Though in the case of the last two, the quality of the high-rises they do have at least make up for their short stature or small number.
I'm sure that K-W will eventually grow taller and larger since their economy is doing relatively well. I assume that Kitchener will be the dominant skyline for the region, possibly merging with the Waterloo skyline at some point in the future.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:09 PM

Wow, I never knew Windsor looked so American.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think Quebec City and St. John's are more interesting because they offer a different type of scenery. If St. John's had office blocks they would probably be not be unique, whereas the views of rocky hills and colourful houses with Signal Hill or the basilica are immediately recognizable and not found anywhere else in Canada.

Windsor does look very American to me. When you go through that area it has a very large scale industrial, early 20th century sort of feel somewhat similar to the Midwest. If you go east of Toronto to cities like Kingston they are quite different.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:42 PM
Look at me!

Quote:

Some here have rated Windsor's skyline as being underwhelming. And it's not as dense as it needs to be:

Yikes. I can already imagine the kids of Windsor being all hyped up for going downtown!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:51 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Sure, we don't have the tallest skyline, or most dense, but I think it's still pretty impressive for a city of 220,000 people. And in reality, it doesn't really matter much, since we have Detroit across the river and it's skyline blends in with ours when you're in our downtown, creating a very urban feel you can't get with a smaller stand alone city.
Thanks for the pictures of windsor, I have never seen it from that angle.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think Quebec City and St. John's are more interesting because they offer a different type of scenery. If St. John's had office blocks they would probably be not be unique, whereas the views of rocky hills and colourful houses with Signal Hill or the basilica are immediately recognizable and not found anywhere else in Canada.

Windsor does look very American to me. When you go through that area it has a very large scale industrial, early 20th century sort of feel somewhat similar to the Midwest. If you go east of Toronto to cities like Kingston they are quite different.
Windsor was a major industrial city during the last century, much like Hamilton and many Midwest American cities, so our city has many older industrial areas. Although we may look American to some Canadians, we are very Canadian still, just in a different way because we are so interwoven with Detroit and tha midwest.

Please don't think that the whole city looks that way though, as we have many beautiful neighbourhoods that could hold their own against many other Canadian cities. We like to think we have the best of both worlds here, and many people who visit for the first time are impressed with what Windsor has to offer.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Windsor's skyline is fairly average, the tallest @ 111m.

Which is coincidentally exactly half the height of Detroit's tallest @ 222 m about a kilometer to the north.

It's nearly impossible to get shots of Windsor's skyline alone anywhere except from the Detroit side of the river. But here's one with Detroit cropped out.

At any rate Windsor is probably never going to be able to compete with its big neighbor.

(BTW, there are buildings and details missing from the SSP diagram, including two of the tallest. I'll have to get on it)
omg Jodelli! I haven't seen you post in a long time!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Really? St Johns skyline punches above it's weight, and Windsor's skyline underperforms. Ok, well I guess you are entitled to your wrong opinion.
The Windsor CMA is over twice the size of St. John's. I don't feel the skyline of Windsor is much better than St. John's, you have a taller skyline, but I just like St. John's better and I feel it is denser looking.

Of course I'm sure Windsor would be a lot more notable if big brother wasn't across the river.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Windsor was a major industrial city during the last century, much like Hamilton and many Midwest American cities, so our city has many older industrial areas. Although we may look American to some Canadians, we are very Canadian still, just in a different way because we are so interwoven with Detroit and tha midwest.

Please don't think that the whole city looks that way though, as we have many beautiful neighbourhoods that could hold their own against many other Canadian cities. We like to think we have the best of both worlds here, and many people who visit for the first time are impressed with what Windsor has to offer.
I'm sure most of the people here calling Windsor "American" wouldn't find it very American if they spent a day in Detroit and then took a quick trip to Windsor

It's pretty damn obvious you're in a different country. Not unlike the Tijuana-San Diego relationship (guess which one Windsor is)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 1:55 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

St. John's barely even has a skyline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St.John%27s_NFLD.jpg

Are you confusing it with the smaller Saint John or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sa...e_at_dusk8.jpg

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:13 AM
Look at me!

You know I don't think I have ever seen st john's skyline from eye-level angle. Only from that hill. Does someone have a picture like that?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:22 AM

No, I mean't St. John's.

That's a rather unappealing look at the skyline, but I still say it performs decently for it's size (less than 200k in 2006).

Compare it with similarly sized places and I feel it overperforms (Regina notwithstanding)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 2:35 AM

I have a few. Need I remind you, how dense a downtown looks in pictures is completely dependent on the angle the picture is taken. As in these next few. The image that Monkey posted of downtown doesn't really do the skyline justice, just to the left of the image are three 50m buildings, as well as a 65m building lumped within maybe the length of a football field. Things are way more dense over there than along the waterfront (and with 2 new office buildings under construction in the area, as well as proposals for another hotel and office in the area, things are looking up in the area)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
The Windsor CMA is over twice the size of St. John's. I don't feel the skyline of Windsor is much better than St. John's, you have a taller skyline, but I just like St. John's better and I feel it is denser looking.

Of course I'm sure Windsor would be a lot more notable if big brother wasn't across the river.
I think he might have been actually saying the st. Johns skyline was more impressive for its size compared to Windsor, it's just worded weird.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's much the point, isn't it? Windsor doesn't have a stand alone skyline. Detroit has two towers over 200 m (including the Penobscot beacon that can be see as far as c. 40K away at night) and a total of eight buildings over 150 m. Windsor kinda gets lost against this backdrop:

A couple or three more:

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 12:00 PM

The illusion amazes me how when you drive down towards the river from the Windsor side, Detroit and Windsor seem like one city. Especially if the river is out of your view.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 12:21 AM

I think this angle that makes the St. John's skyline look denser then it is. I've seen a much better picture from this angle but can't find it.

Source: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/28689420

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada