HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 11:17 PM
The City

None of this is surprising.

Once people are over 40 they don't tend to go out to bars and clubs, I mean duh....

You grow up, settle, blah blah. Besides, it's much easier to drink at home in front of a TV

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 11:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i remember this monsterous, booming, gritty club scene in massive “escape from new york” 19th century warehouses in downtown st. louis, places that looked like dead coals during the day and glowed like a massive, hot ember at night.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Go to any craft brewery in Chicago and it's filled with millennials. All the new cocktail bars are filled with millennials too. My wife works for one of the largest hard alcohol makers in the world and millenial cocktail culture has been huge for them in the US.
to be sure, craft beer played a part in moderating everything.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Go to any craft brewery in Chicago and it's filled with millennials. All the new cocktail bars are filled with millennials too. My wife works for one of the largest hard alcohol makers in the world and millenial cocktail culture has been huge for them in the US.
Craft beer and fancy cocktails are pretty tame, no? No one is saying that Millennials never drink, but they're obviously more health-conscious, sober and generally well-behaved than Gen-Xers.

I started drinking cheap hard alcohol on weekend parties at 14, and was surrounded by lots of drugs, sex and general debauchery (and this at a supposedly excellent suburban Midwest high school). Millennials were much more grounded and teens-early 20's today are even more straight edge. Most of the grungy bars have been scrubbed from the LES, Williamsburg, Bushwick and replaced by $20 cocktail venues.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Craft beer and fancy cocktails are pretty tame, no? No one is saying that Millennials never drink, but they're obviously more health-conscious, sober and generally well-behaved than Gen-Xers.

I started drinking cheap hard alcohol on weekend parties at 14, and was surrounded by lots of drugs, sex and general debauchery (and this at a supposedly excellent suburban Midwest high school). Millennials were much more grounded and teens-early 20's today are even more straight edge. Most of the grungy bars have been scrubbed from the LES, Williamsburg, Bushwick and replaced by $20 cocktail venues.
i’m calling the police

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:39 AM

i think of circa “turn on the bright lights” interpol as this sort of loud, slurred bed-time ballad to peak NYC. i always looked up to that last pre-millennial generation that just blew it all out. and then they ALL DIED in 9/11.

that’s not funny but they would have thought it was funny then because it was just too serious.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 1:09 AM

semi-related: fred savage looks great these days, inspiring! #genx

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i think of circa “turn on the bright lights” interpol as this sort of loud, slurred bed-time ballad to peak NYC. i always looked up to that last pre-millennial generation that just blew it all out. and then they ALL DIED in 9/11.

that’s not funny but they would have thought it was funny then because it was just too serious.
NY hipsterdom was very, very different 15 years ago. Which is funny, because it wasn't that different ten years ago. The scene changed pretty rapidly.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
NY hipsterdom was very, very different 15 years ago. Which is funny, because it wasn't that different ten years ago. The scene changed pretty rapidly.
i know exactly what you are talking about, i was of that first wave of this generation (or the last of the last, haha) and shit really has been in stasis for well over a decade except for the volume and neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:00 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

But is that more an effect of gentrification or of changing generational preferences? Tough to say. Also tough to say where one ends and the other begins. But keep in mind as well though that most millennials are in their thirties now, so stuff geared towards that demographic isn't bound to be too wild anymore. 10 years ago, I don't think that was the case.

That said, the post-Millennial generation does demonstratively (as per surveys, etc) consume less drugs and alcohol than previous generations (vs millennials who were more or less on par with Gen X). The prevailing theory behind that being that the constant social media surveillance state doesn't lend itself as well to inebriation and letting loose as it does to being fit and living healthy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
But is that more an effect of gentrification or of changing generational preferences? Tough to say. Also tough to say where one ends and the other begins. But keep in mind as well though that most millennials are in their thirties now, so stuff geared towards that demographic isn't bound to be too wild anymore. 10 years ago, I don't think that was the case.

That said, the post-Millennial generation does demonstratively (as per surveys, etc) consume less drugs and alcohol than previous generations (vs millennials who were more or less on par with Gen X). The prevailing theory behind that being that the constant social media surveillance state doesn't lend itself as well to inebriation and letting loose as it does to being fit and living healthy.
i had that last part in mind, great point. theres been the constant fear of readily soiling oneself within view of your social media contacts. in my case this goes back to back to AOL messenger in high school. theres something about a platform like that which amplifies social consequences.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:16 AM

This thread: grumpy old men complain about kids these days.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:12 AM

all the kids drink online these days. drinking isnt seen as cool anymore, for the most part. unless you go out with friends to a bar

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Today's millennials are just as dumb as gen-xers when they were of that age group. They also party just as hard. I will acknowledge that they are more sheltered, coddled and entitled by their moms and society and are slightly less mature.

Have you seen the videos they post?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'm a gen X'er here.

the last time i was out late-nite (past midnight, i'm fucking 42 now, ugh) at a bar in chicago, the crowd was decidedly millennial, so i'm not buying this "millennials don't drink" nonsense.
these are not your run of the mill millenials. these are very wealthy millenials. also, the midwest isnt going to be on top of any trends, so it very likely is true that the masses are still carrying on as they have in the past in the regional capitals. and whos to say they dont around here too outside of these chi chi neighborhoods?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
busted! TRUTH!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:57 PM
Never Dell

Let's talk about these punks playing music WITHOUT headphones. Like at coffee shops and gyms, or walking down the street. Not so much at bars I suppose. I want to knock people out sometimes. Old man talking.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:59 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We Gen Xers did have a better party scene than these Millennial nitwits.

Their idea of partying is to sit next to eachother while drinking and taking selfies and post them on Instagram. So douchey....

Meanwhile, we had 4 story nightclubs with a different scene on each level, and we actually talked to eachother and women
I see truth in this.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:32 PM

My wife went out a few weeks ago with colleagues of whom a lot were much younger than she is, like 21 compared with 42. She said a lot of them spent most of their dancing time literally taking selfie-videos of themselves dancing, phone in one hand pointed at self while dancing. Maybe it is just because I'm old but that seems truly messed up to me.

It's like 'if you don't have recorded evidence that you were having fun, then it doesn't count as fun because there's no evidence you were having fun'.

Admittedly I do take pictures of food I'm eating on a fairly regular basis so maybe I'm a hypocrite!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 9:48 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions