HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 8:55 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Ok I gotcha..I`m still hoping for the dome,lol but I see your stand.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 9:16 PM

Here's the UAB campus master plan...

You can see that UAB is hoping to create a lot more greenspace. You see alot more student housing. You can see the proximity of the UAB campus and stadium to the proposed downtown baseball park and Railroad Park. You can see the proposed revamping of the I-65 area adjacent to the UAB campus.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 9:30 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
UAB doesn't want to play in a stadium by the BJCC. That's just about as far as Legion Field from campus. The point is not just getting away from the neighborhood around Legion Field, but having something within easy walking distance for the UAB students on campus.

In the location it is expected to be, it will be right in between the heart of UAB and the Railroad Park. That is likely to spur a huge amount of private investment in the form of retail, restaurants, bars, etc.

The stadium is likely to be a horseshoe-style with the open end facing the Birmingham skyline. For televised UAB games, this will be a good showcase of the city. With about 30,000 seats it will be a good size for us at the present time. It could be easily expanded as necessary.
Well, I should have specified when I made the post. I meant that they should come together and building one near UAB.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:08 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I really wish I could get a better view of that rendering... I'm liking what I see though.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:21 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
To be honest, I think the first line of any light rail in Birmingham would do well to include UAB (obviously) and the Samford area...BSC and that area would also be a good idea
I think a good idea would be a line from the airport runs west towards the BJCC then south through dowtown to UAB then towards Samford/Brookwood village.

Then move on from there. At that point, an further expansion west from the BJCC towards Arkadelphia is possible, and a further expansion towards 280.

I agree. I think including UAB and BSC would need to be included.
It won't go over the mountain to Homewood or Samford. Not unless ALDOT builds it... and that's not happening.

Last edited by *BRAVO*; Feb 5, 2011 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer85 View Post
Here's the UAB campus master plan...

You can see that UAB is hoping to create a lot more greenspace. You see alot more student housing. You can see the proximity of the UAB campus and stadium to the proposed downtown baseball park and Railroad Park. You can see the proposed revamping of the I-65 area adjacent to the UAB campus.

Wow. Good find. Does UAB already own the land west of I-65? Any idea what purpose the buildings on the other side of I-65 will serve? In regards to the new roads adjacent to I-65, are those new turning lanes for the service road that seem to cross another? They seem like they'd eat up a lot of space. Otherwise the plan looks great!

Last edited by Sahs; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 2:06 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

I like the green I`m seeing on the rendering....And now since I see the horse shoe shaped stadium im likeing the idea of having an on campus stadium even more now.The University of Miami has a nice horse shoe shaped stadium also.One side is orange and the other is green.I hope UAB does a gold and green color scheme.

Last edited by Port_of_Bama; Feb 5, 2011 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 11:23 PM

Council committee approves incentives for Railroad Park mixed-use project
by Joseph D. Bryant -- The Birmingham News
Published: Monday, February 07, 2011, 2:26 PM

Plans for a $3.8 million redevelopment of two buildings near Railroad Park received an endorsement from Birmingham city officials today, and developers moved a step closer to obtaining a $1 million loan from the city.

The council's Economic Development Committee approved a request from Railroad Square LLC for the Birmingham Business Development Loan to buy the former National Biscuit Co. building located at 120 18th St. South, along with an adjoining warehouse at 1720 Second Ave. South. Developers plan to convert the vacant buildings into retail, office space and lofts. The two-year loan has a 2.5 percent interest rate.

The request goes before the Budget and Finance Committee next week, then to the full council for a vote.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 12:24 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

That's a big announcement. I've been anxious to hear about the first proposed development. Too bad I can't say anything positive about the developer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 10:47 PM

Freshwater Land Trust moving to downtown Birmingham site
by Martin Swant --- The Birmingham News
Published: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 3:34 PM

The Freshwater Land Trust will open in new offices downtown on Feb. 15, as the nonprofit organization leaves its current digs at Birmingham-Southern College and moves into the Fix-Play building.

The move to the location at 2308 First Avenue North will take place this weekend.

"The Freshwater Land Trust looks forward to being part of the growing vitality of First and Second Avenues North," Executive Director Wendy Jackson said in a prepared statement.

Sloss Real Estate is assisting the organization with the move.

The trust works to acquire land in eight Alabama counties to protect rivers and streams, along with providing recreational opportunities for the communities surrounding them.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 6:07 PM

Airport Expansion Begins

Airport breaks ground on expansion
by Stan Diel -- The Birmingham News
Published: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 11:41 AM

Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport broke ground today on a $201.6 million construction project that will about double the size of its terminal and give it a chance to land international flights.

Plans call for the addition of 19 new gates, an improved baggage handling system and improvements to the airport's parking garage.

Airport and community officials said the renovations will create economic development opportunities and help the city make a better impression on visitors.

"This airport is our front porch," said Jim Smither, president of the Birmingham Convention and Visitors' Bureau. "This is the first impression and the last impression of Birmingham for so many people." [...]

---------
Should be exciting to see when this gets done.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 6:14 PM

BBVA Compass sign for downtown Birmingham building rejected

by Stan Diel -- The Birmingham News
Published: Thursday, February 10, 2011, 6:00 AM

[...]
• Approved plans for the foundation of the planned Westin Hotel downtown. The 300-room hotel is to be built across Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard from the Southeastern Conference's headquarters building. The committee still must approve plans for the building itself. The project is valued at $50 million.

• Approved plans for a Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex parking lot at the southwest corner of 18th Street and Ninth Avenue North. [...]
----------------------------
I saw these tidbits about the Westin and Entertainment district attached to an article. The Birmingham Design Review Committee was the one who approved the plans.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:33 AM

Good evening fellow Bham lovers, I am Bamablazer and I was quite please the see so much positive thoughts regarding our hometown. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea from our City leaders regarding Port Birmingham?
"With no major rivers at its core, Birmingham is generally considered landlocked, but city officials are investing $75,000 to learn what could be done to harvest the potential of the area's waterways.

The city has hired engineering firm AECOM to study the feasibility of developing port facilities in and near Birmingham. In particular, officials hope Birmingport in western Jefferson County has the potential for further development. The port is on the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior River.

While the port has had some small industrial shipping for decades, the study would determine the potential for waterborne commerce and the possibility of seeking federal funding to expand and promote the facility. The study is expected to take about six months.

Chuck Faush, chief of staff for Mayor William Bell, said the study is necessary before partnerships can be developed to undertake a mammoth project that could yield economic rewards for the city and region." This article was on AL.com a few weeks back. I like the idea of a Port City but I am a little hesitant to get behind this proposal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:37 AM

Port Birmingham

Good evening fellow Bham lovers, I am Bamablazer and I was quite please the see so much positive thoughts regarding our hometown. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea from our City leaders regarding Port Birmingham?
"With no major rivers at its core, Birmingham is generally considered landlocked, but city officials are investing $75,000 to learn what could be done to harvest the potential of the area's waterways.

The city has hired engineering firm AECOM to study the feasibility of developing port facilities in and near Birmingham. In particular, officials hope Birmingport in western Jefferson County has the potential for further development. The port is on the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior River.

While the port has had some small industrial shipping for decades, the study would determine the potential for waterborne commerce and the possibility of seeking federal funding to expand and promote the facility. The study is expected to take about six months.

Chuck Faush, chief of staff for Mayor William Bell, said the study is necessary before partnerships can be developed to undertake a mammoth project that could yield economic rewards for the city and region." This article was on AL.com a few weeks back. I like the idea of a Port City but I am a little hesitant to get behind this proposal.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 1:22 AM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Investing into the Port of B-ham will be beneficial !

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I am not familiar with the port or the area around there, but my guess is that it would be good for the city as it would help increase the transfer of goods in and out of the city.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 9:22 PM

Birmingham's SRI plans facility for drug discovery
by Hannah Wolfson -- The Birmingham News
Published: Friday, February 11, 2011, 8:00 AM

Southern Research Institute is looking at plans to spend $14 million to construct a new research building on its Southside campus.

The building would be dedicated mostly to drug discovery research, according to Southern Research's president and chief executive, Jack Secrist.

"This will allow us to do state of the art medicinal chemistry," said Secrist, speaking last week to the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

The funds are part of a $20 million federal recovery zone bond being issued through the city of Birmingham. Much of the remainder will go toward developing a new 18,000-square-foot engineering building at Southern Research's Oxmoor location.

Secrist said the 40,000 square-foot building next to Quinlan Castle would help the organization continue its momentum on drug discovery. The project still requires approval of Southern Research's finance committee and board, but Secrist said he hopes to have the facility completed by the end of 2012. [...]

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahs View Post
Council committee approves incentives for Railroad Park mixed-use project
by Joseph D. Bryant -- The Birmingham News
Published: Monday, February 07, 2011, 2:26 PM

Plans for a $3.8 million redevelopment of two buildings near Railroad Park received an endorsement from Birmingham city officials today, and developers moved a step closer to obtaining a $1 million loan from the city.

The council's Economic Development Committee approved a request from Railroad Square LLC for the Birmingham Business Development Loan to buy the former National Biscuit Co. building located at 120 18th St. South, along with an adjoining warehouse at 1720 Second Ave. South. Developers plan to convert the vacant buildings into retail, office space and lofts. The two-year loan has a 2.5 percent interest rate.

The request goes before the Budget and Finance Committee next week, then to the full council for a vote.
Any news on this project? I would think the whole area between Railroad Park and UAB is going to see some explosive growth.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 5:42 PM
Burming Hammer

i love how that master plan shows railroad park and uab connecting. i think students could really take advantage of that area and fuel some of the growth around it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:16 PM

Birmingham ball park could take root near civic center
by Joseph D. Bryant - The Birmingham News
Published: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 7:00 AM

Birmingham city officials are taking a closer look at alternative locations for a proposed baseball park, including publicly owned land near the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex.
Mayor William Bell's chief of staff, Chuck Faush, recently sent a letter to BJCC officials inquiring about land options. Faush said Bell still prefers a proposed location near Railroad Park but wants to know all options.
Challenges remain at that site, including rising land costs in the increasingly popular district and the opposition of some owners who have said their land isn't for sale. [...]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast