HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 7:33 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Alabama Road and Highway Updates

Use this thread to update everyone on the ongoing road and highway construction, proposals too, going on around the state.

Notice a project starting? Post it!
Notice a project finishing up? Post it!
Notice a project stalling...? Post it! begrudgingly...

I'll start off.

My mom and I drove down to Panama City Beach today, so I got a good dose of interstate construction. Here are some updates:

Decatur

I-65 near Lacon

Improvements to the bridges over the creek near the Lacon exit are ongoing. I'm not sure exactly how they plan to improve them, cause I don't recall an official announcement. But, it is obvious that they're going to resurface the bridges in some way. I'm sure a lot of people know that it's pretty scary to go over those things at high speeds...

I-65 Tennessee River Bridges

I'm not sure if the weather monitoring system on the bridge is complete yet, but it sure looks like it.

Cullman

Widening of road crossing I-65

The new overpass is complete. It appears like we're still waiting on the widening of the rest of the road for the construction zone to be removed.

North Birmingham

I-20/59 lighting replacement

It seems that much of the work is finished. I noticed that the lights on the eastbound lanes were one and working fine.

I-65 widening north of the Junction

Most of the overpass-work is completed, but they are still working on replacing the decks of the older, original overpasses in the center.

It looked like they were beginning to construct a new off-ramp from I-65 Southbound to Finley Boulevard.

So far, everything looks like it is on schedule. We should start seeing interchange construction beginning in December. I'm looking forward to it.

I-65 Resurfacing

I read an article a few days ago on ALDOT bidding out the resurfacing project between, I believe, Fieldstown and Walkers Chapel? I can't really remember. Someone correct me if they remember.

Over The Mountain, Jefferson

I-65 Work

I'm sure most have heard, stimulus money has been granted to landscaping of the interchange with I-65 and Montgomery Highway in Vestavia. Also, the MPO recently approved the reconstruction of the lanes between Montgomery Highway and the I-459 interchange (what I called the OTM interchange).

West Shelby

I-65 Widening

Work continues on the much needed widening of I-65 from Valleydale to Alabaster. The road is looking MUCH more attractive and modern with the concrete walls being used to compact the roadway.

South Shelby/North Chilton

I-65 buffer creation

Work continues on the Northbound side of I-65 on the buffers to the east of the roadway. They're clearing out trees and replacing it with grass to allow for a more safe and open roadway.

Montgomery

I-65 widening

Work is ongoing from basically the Alabama River bridge on south. I can't remember exactly where the widening ends south of I-85 cause I never make it down there. So someone please post that if you know.

Eastern Boulevard

Work on overpasses is still ongoing.

Enterprise

Boll Weevil Circle widening

Work is ongoing. Work is taking place starting just south of where AL 167 leaves the Circle for Hartford. I know that widening is taking place AT LEAST to where the road to Geneva hits the circle.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast