HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:43 PM

350 Bloor East | 209.07m | 63s | Osmington Gerofsky | Hariri Pontarini l Approved

By far my favourite new ’scraper proposal is now approved by City Council (more HPA elegance everywhere please ;-).

UT

The subtle facade sculpting shows up in the massing diagram.

UT

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:11 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
It's less than a block away from 100 Lombard and a similar height...
My post was over rapidly evolving planning. Anyways, your answer to why a very dense 200 metres right here is another proposal of similar height less than a block away. I guess that is how it works

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:24 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I'm just stating the obvious... when a tall proposal comes along in a neighborhood without many tall buildings, then suddenly you have a dozen more of a similar height proposed nearby.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:48 AM
I am the law!

That's what I was was inferring in my first post with respect to Spire and now a very dense 200 metre tower exactly there. The 60 times land area 99 Bloor Street West is approved or will be approved. I couldn't care less how it works. The outcomes heavily favour developers that push the envelope with every application. What do you think about how it works And specifically this proposal?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:54 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I think it's a horrid rip-off of Number One Bloor, and I hope it gets another re-design. It's also a box, with some balcony play on the outside. As for the height at that location, it's on the North side of the park, so it won't cast any shadows onto the park. You know I have no problem with height, anywhere downtown for that matter...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:10 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I find it a poorly-thought up design, although I'm fine with the height, especially with the Ontario Line coming down to this relative area in a decade.
As much as I have hoped to see this area stay fairly 'modest' in heights (30-40 floors) north of St. James Park, I know it's inevitable with the nature of our development sector and market for new densities and scaled to be sought for parts of the city, and being right downtown, this makes more sense than say, sticking 15 200 metre buildings at HBS.

It's a very dense development for sure, and needs some refinement, like setting back the Adelaide facade another metre or two to give a little more breathing room and space for the public realm, and add a setback to the tower from the podium.

I'd much rather see this design scrapped for something similar to the prior design, because the lack of architectural unity between the tower and podium is rather off putting, along with the issues of poor massing.
I genuinely hope this is redesigned.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

Jarvis & Earl Place | 198.89m | 58s | Originate | Kirkor l Approved

Just a metre shy (like many others ;-) of the 200 metre ’scraper metric. A mix of rentals and condos north of Wellesley on Jarvis.

UT
Wow, that re-design is absolutely mind numbing. To make matters worse, I live a few blocks from here so will have to look at that pile of junk for the next 50 years.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:46 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Solution: fire Arcadis and rehire SvN.[/B]

I wish we could just fire Arcadis in general - along with their friends at Kirkor and G+C. Getting rid of those 3 firms alone would instantly elevate the average design quality of Toronto's new builds by multitudes.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I wish we could just fire Arcadis in general - along with their friends at Kirkor and G+C. Getting rid of those 3 firms alone would instantly elevate the average design quality of Toronto's new builds by multitudes.
^ I'd sign that petition.

And double the staffing at HPA and BDPQ to pick up (and redesign!) all of their projects.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 6:18 PM
I am the law!

I like height and stats too. I also don't think residential skyscrapers fall in that happy medium for community living. That's compounded in Toronto by the number of units per floor and high lot coverage of these developments. The number of units and high lot coverage create excessive population densities too. There's a happy medium for vibrant streets. After that, it's just crowded.

It doesn't matter which amazing firms design and built this tower without serious adjustments to its specifications. One excessive development has a relatively benign impact. One proposed tower in Toronto becomes two than four. The one thing going for Toronto is critical mass of proposals being built is so far contained to a few areas like the Entertainment District; Redpath in the Yonge & Eglinton community and, Dundas & Church around Moss Park.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:56 PM

567 Sheppard Avenue East | 178.84m | 55s | Tridel | BDP Quadrangle l pre-construction

Handsome 2 tower design from BDPQ with nearly 1200 residential units that includes a new YMCA/training facility. Located near the corner of Sheppard and Bayview Avenue.

UT

UT

UT

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 10:06 PM

MISSISSAUGA

4310 Sherwoodtown Blvd -replacing existing 4 storey office building. 60 and 70 Storey.

Obsessed with the balconies!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 11:04 PM
Volatile Pacivist

That last one actually looks quite nice from what I can tell. Although the podium and street level is sort of meh.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 12:53 AM
I am the law!

It's different. Is the base a hotel? Could this be one of those branded developments? Like the Volkswagon Residences?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:59 PM

50 Eglinton West | 194.2m | 58s | Madison Group | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

Originally proposed at 37 and 35 storeys, now a resubmission is asking for a big jump in height for both towers (now 58 and 46 storeys) and a large increase in residential units (from 844 to 1206 units).

UT

UT

UT

Before resubmission:

UT

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's different. Is the base a hotel? Could this be one of those branded developments? Like the Volkswagon Residences?
Residential/Commercial (Office) apparently.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 8:01 PM

Markham

UnionCity South | 159.55m | 49s | Metropia | Arcadis l site prep (?)

Move over Mississauga… Markham in the house showing how she can build crazy stuff in fields too ;-).

I kinda thought this was just a vision exercise but there’s early work underway on site lol. 49, 42, 42, 39, 35 and 35 storey towers with more than 2000 residential units, retail and park.

UT

There’s machines doing stuff (including shoring rigs) so who knows.

Arvalan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 10:22 PM
I am the law!

50 Eglinton's podium is pretty good. Compliments another facadectomy. The penthouse levels provide a faux crown.

Union City is excavating. Union City South is still a concept.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
50 Eglinton West | 194.2m | 58s | Madison Group | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

Originally proposed at 37 and 35 storeys, now a resubmission is asking for a big jump in height for both towers (now 58 and 46 storeys) and a large increase in residential units (from 844 to 1206 units).
The could use more step backs but I love the pre-war industrial warehouse aesthetic of the crown. Hopefully they are actual windows Reminds me a bit of the Hudson on Spadina.

Looks far better than E Condos or most of the newer development in the area.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Markham

UnionCity South | 159.55m | 49s | Metropia | Arcadis l site prep (?)

Move over Mississauga… Markham in the house showing how she can build crazy stuff in fields too ;-).

I kinda thought this was just a vision exercise but there’s early work underway on site lol. 49, 42, 42, 39, 35 and 35 storey towers with more than 2000 residential units, retail and park.

UT

There’s machines doing stuff (including shoring rigs) so who knows.

Arvalan

Wow. SimCity 3000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada