HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 7:07 PM

Miami: WynwoodWalls+Downtown+South Beach

Side-dish photos to my Art Basel / Design Miami trip.

I flew to Miami to see Art Basel and Design Miami, partly for pleasure and partly for business. The business part was a bit of a clandestine operation. With no reputation and proven track record of success, I went to promote my digital collages during one of North America's premier art events. That's right, I went door to door. In spite being a bit of an interloper among the established art crowd, I received a warm welcome from the galleries and the curators I spoke with. These are my impressions from that trip.

I'll go ahead and say this here, as a bit of a break. The Design District / Wynwood neighbourhood in Miami is amazing. Established quite recently among a landscape of still-functioning industrial and warehousing structures, the Wynwood district is an interesting example of a cultural battle unfolding within the urban landscape. Dusty but active factories share elbow room with astonishingly edgy and avant-garde army of creative 20 and 30 - somethings and the services which often sprout up to service them. A few blocks down, a massive retail strip of fashion outlets and warehouses, which, upon my visit, were knee-deep in the outpouring of merchandise which had been brought by several convoys of trucks A deluge of shoes and dresses and an army of people sorting them out.

It was indeed ah-fuckn-mazing. The neighbourhood has the feel and flavour of a place that's really the epicentre of everything new and contemporary. New-new, a place where truly the unknown and undiscovered artist can hope to be accepted and to make a meaningful splash. Quiet by day under the oppressive December sun, the district came alive at night with some of the wildest and most fashionable parties I've ever had the privilege to attend, whether by invitation or by virtue of sneaking in. There was a real buzz in the air, and it was quite obvious that fun and experimentation, and not retail, were the predominant thriving philosophies here.

Last edited by M.R.Victor; Jan 3, 2015 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 2:13 AM

Nice pictures. Where is Wynwood/the Design District? What kind of buildings are these painted walls on?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 2:43 AM

Wynwood is an area directly west of what I've heard people call "midtown" Miami. It sits roughly between 20th and 30th streets, directly north of Overtown. 2nd Ave is the main Art and Design drag, while 5th avenue seems to be the main fashion retail scene.

The surrounding area looks positively impoverished and downright dangerous at the worst times, and abandoned and derelict most others. It's literally night-and-day, where top of the line chic sits right next to down-and-out. I saw chickens running in the street 15 minutes walking distance from one the main event halls, I kid you not.

Those murals are painted on the walls of former factories and warehouses which now house brand new galleries.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 3:31 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great stuff.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:04 AM
International

Yeah, great stuff. A few of my friends regularly make the trek out there for the event. The buzz keeps building and building - I wonder how long it will stay in the gentrification "sweet spot" before its eventual overdevleopment.

Thanks for the tour! Would love to check it out sometime myself.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 9:13 PM

Thanks for this thread & pics! Wynwood has to be one of the most edgiest neighborhoods in Miami and it does have a spooky look since it's made up of a ware house district for clothing manufacturers. It is also the Puerto Rican neighborhood of Miami so yes you will see chickens in people's yards as well. This part is already gentrifying as we speak so I'm pretty sure it will lose it's edginess soon enough.

Last edited by bobdreamz; Jan 10, 2015 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 9:27 PM

Map of Wynwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Where is Wynwood/the Design District? What kind of buildings are these painted walls on?

Source : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7248/7...994001ed_b.jpg

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 10:07 PM

Well done. As a local, I'll say that this seems to have crept up on Miami and that most of us are blissfully unaware is going on in Wynwood. It's been a quick transformation. I'm too old for the parties and what not but try to keep abreast of what's going on, still haven't been down to see the walls yet though.

Thanks for the pics.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos