HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It doesn't work everywhere in the world, but one view of "settlers" that applies to most of the new world is they are the people who implanted organized society in a given place: schools, courts, police, governance, etc.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:48 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Not sure about if you'd include the current boundaries of the US (eg. all 50 states) at the time of Revolution they'd be majority white (with significant African slave %), but I'm guessing both the US and Canada were a very high % white at their founding in terms of the country's "birth date".

But, particular parts or regions of the US and Canada both likely had high % non-white minority shares in the 1700s and 1800s definitely. The colonial US South had majority black population states for quite a duration of its history (I think many states like Mississippi only stopped becoming majority black in the earlier 20th century, due to probably both the Great Migration of Black Americans away from the south, as well as rise in European immigration). British Columbia, the most "newly settled" province, became majority white quite late actually, in the late 1800s, many coming for the gold rushes. BC's population as counted, was literally only tens of thousands until the end of the 19th century and included among them thousands of Asians (Chinese etc.) and likely many Aboriginals at the time.
i believe the new world, in total, was majority people of african descent for much of the colonial period. it wasn’t until huge numbers of europeans of all kinds arrived in north and south america that this started to change.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
So if you're both White and not poor, you share some sort of responsility for what the world has been, was it very indirect.
That's fundamentally a religious value which arises from a Christian Puritan tradition and an attempt to "perfect" the world. It doesn't make much sense outside of that context. There is no real equivalent in something like the Confucian tradition; you'd be considered a lunatic for claiming in China that Han Chinese need to hobble themselves or "check their privilege" over the treatment of non-Han groups.

A lot of westerners don't seem to understand this; they think it's just some sort of generic "universal" morality, when it's actually a worldview that arises very directly from a certain type of Protestant Christianity. The concept is basically one of "blood guilt" or "corruption of blood." The sins of the fathers, and all that.

But not all people accept that worldview.

More generally, the broad concern is something like "cultural cohesion" and the related question of national cohesion and how a nation will end up governing itself. The debate is mainly between a class of post-nationalists (many of whom tend to be wealthy/elite) who feel that the nation-state system is outdated and can be superseded by trans-national systems (usually involving neoliberal economics, free trade, free migration, etc.) and "nationalists," a broad category which generally supports stronger borders, local production, is skeptical of free trade, etc.

This gets confusing in the US, because these labels do not map onto the existing political parties. There are varying mixes of post-nationalists, free-traders, protectionists and nationalists in both of the major parties. I'd say the biggest question at the moment is whether or not populist economic measures such as "universal basic income" can be sustained in the context of open borders or mass-migration.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
That's the logic of settler colonialism. The "settlers" set up whatever culture and dictate the terms that others have to assimilate to (regardless of who came before, the actual natives, whose cultures they displaced). Others, who came either voluntarily (eg. immigrants), or involuntarily (eg. African slaves whose African cultures and languages were forcibly taken away from them) are assimilated into the colonizers' culture.

Luckily, our society's getting more tolerant and pluralistic and less of the "we'll make you change or give up your culture by gunpoint" nowadays, like what is happening to the Uighurs in China, or what was done to native Americans and Canadians in the past with forced education camps/schools, so that's a pretty low bar for cultural tolerance.

Still, we're writing comments to one another in English, the colonial tongue, and as far as I can see our (mostly American and Canadian) posters aren't replying to one another in non-English languages, so I guess assimilation still kind of won, in that regard!
Hehe well, between the US and Canada, English is only an official language of Canada; like I said earlier, the US doesn't have an official language (at the federal level). English could also be thought of as the de facto lingua franca in the US, since it's not an official language.

Reading through the previous comments again, it's apparent that many people look at the world through the modern lens of nationalism, that somehow everyone who lives in a sovereign nation all (must) have one national identity. That's far from the reality, and for thousands of years, that was never the case. Take the Roman Empire, for example. Did the Jews in the Middle East, though they lived in and were part of the Roman Empire, think of themselves as Romans?? Most likely not, nor did the Romans. They lived under the umbrella of the Roman Empire and had to pay taxes to Rome, but otherwise they weren't forced to assimilate, they just continued to do their own thing.

Same with the Greeks. For hundreds of years they were part of the Ottoman Empire, but did they consider themselves to be Ottomans? Nope. And they were allowed to keep their own culture and language. Of course there were some cultural borrowings, but essentially they were, and remained, ethnically Greek.

And look at the Renaissance painter El Greco. Spaniards referred to him as "The Greek," but did they mean that he was from the sovereign nation of Greece? Of course not. He was "the Greek" because he spoke Greek, and was ethnically Greek. But he was from Crete, which at the time of his life, was a colony of Venice. Mainland Greece at the time was part of the Ottoman Empire. And with the rise of nationalism that started sweeping Europe in the 1800s, Greece became an independent nation, which united all the Greek-speaking territories. So when you think about it, it was kind of artificially created. Kind of like modern Germany and Italy. I read that Marlene Dietrich referred to herself as being Prussian, not German. And Sophia Loren for the longest time would say that she is Neapolitan. Italy used to be a bunch of independent city-states, republics and kingdoms, and the Papal States. I find it no coincidence that Germany and Italy became fascist in the 20th Century because I don't doubt they were still trying to assert a new national identity (that's just my opinion). Even now, supposedly many Sicilians don't even consider themselves to be Italian. They really have their own dialect and culture separate from mainland Italy.

Nationalism is a relatively recent phenomenon. In my opinion, it's a very unnatural and artificial notion---and can be a problem. Even Zionism started out as a secular nationalism movement in the 1800s. It wasn't until later that people started putting a religious angle on it.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there were any majority non-white major regions of Canada after the 1800s, like how parts of the US south were majority black, and how Hawaii is today majority non-white (I think Hawaii was literally the only US state to not have a majority white period in its history). Maybe the Territories, probably places like what's now Manitoba if you count Natives plus Metis?
Hawaii is also the only US state that used to be its own sovereign nation... I guess you MIGHT be able to say that about Texas, but that's up for dispute, I guess... which is actually what made us go to war with Mexico in the 19th century.

I live in a part of the US that wasn't always a part of the US while the US was already existing. But it seems to me that many people don't see it that way. Even the way we're taught US history and California history here in California, at least when I was growing up, it was always from the American point of view, as if California's history didn't begin until it became a US territory. Of course they gloss over the Spanish and Mexican period (in the 4th grade we have a field trip to visit one of the Spanish Missions and/or do a report about the Spanish Missions). And growing up, I felt we never really learned about the indigenous people of California, as if the only "Indians" were the ones that the "Pilgrims" met. Of course in adulthood I actually started reading all I could about the indigenous people of California and their history and cultures, and I actually find that history more fascinating.

In learning more detailed history about California, I learned that the cultural differences between northern and southern California existed very early on during the American period. San Francisco, as a result of the gold rush, was very capitalistic and Yanqui and was culturally more akin to the eastern parts of the US because of all the people from other parts of the US that settled there because they were wanting to strike it rich. In the Los Angeles area during the same period, post-Mexican rancho period, the Americans that settled into SoCal actually assimilated into California culture, intermarrying with the Californios and some converting to Roman Catholicism and even learning Spanish... and adopting a more laid-back lifestyle.

But I digress.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
No, you don't. Even if your ancestors got rich off the slave trade you have absolutely no responsibility for it. Nobody is responsible for the actions of their forefathers and certainly not for the actions of their race. Anyone who says different is a racist.
Of course, I agree with you on the basic principle, but things in the world are surely not that simple.
Look, this is what I was once told.

You grew up in a comfortable elevator because your skin is white.
Your Black neighbor only had a scabrous ladder.

There's no way you would deny such a statement, even in this contemporary society supposedly more advanced.
It may surely be disturbing, there's no question about it.
It's only been facts, even today.

Chances to succeed should be the same to anyone, whatever their looks. Right?
This is what the French republic promised.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:15 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
See, this is the absurdity of this discussion. Do you really think you could go to some Asisn country and refuse to speak their language or follow their customs and they'd embrace you with open arms? Why is it only white majority countries that are expected to be multicultural? You see how China treats people who aren't of Han descent? They've got the Uyghurs in fucking "re-education" camps and they're native born Chinesse. But yeah, WE'RE the racist ones here.
You do realize that even in China plenty of people don't speak the official language (Mandarin) at work, right? I've worked many years in Shanghai and heard people all over the place speaking Shanghainese in offices and restaurants, and nobody bats an eye. Same is true in Guangdong, where lots of people speak Cantonese, and in provinces all over the country where people speak their local dialect and not Mandarin.

As far as Uyghurs (and Tibetans go), if the news stories are correct then the Chinese government is treating them pretty terribly. However, the other 53 official ethnic minority groups in China get treated pretty well or so it would seem, so it seems to me the reason that Uyghurs and Tibetans get treated poorly on the whole is probably due to the fact that the government sees them as separatists, not because they happen to be of an ethnic minority.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
You do realize that even in China plenty of people don't speak the official language (Mandarin) at work, right? I've worked many years in Shanghai and heard people all over the place speaking Shanghainese in offices and restaurants, and nobody bats an eye. Same is true in Guangdong, where lots of people speak Cantonese, and in provinces all over the country where people speak their local dialect and not Mandarin.
You're talking about domestic languages though, not immigrants retaining a language of work from another country.

I'm not sure how this line of reasoning matters anyway. The real question is what we want our society to look like. Is it okay if we have a mix of languages in everyday use, including as languages of business, education, etc.? Is it okay if a second foreign language takes root and we have some areas where 10%, 30%, or 99% of people live day-to-day in that other language? Is it okay if we have large immigrant voting blocs with different cultural norms and political goals?

I don't have an answer but I think Canadians in general seem to be a bit naive and cavalier about this question, and we are being railroaded a bit by people who want to shut down the whole debate by labeling it racist.

One of the ways that Canadians are naive is that they tend to assume that it's much easier to learn a second language than it is. It is extremely difficult for an adult to approach the proficiency of a native speaker in a new language, even if they are forced to use it every day. I think Canadians are also too self-assured our resources and economic opportunities. There are 2 major-ish English speaking cities in Canada and both have already become hideously unaffordable over the past 15 years.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:44 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
wall of text about a bunch of fallen empires that flamed out in only the most bloody way imaginable
The world was also a brutal place where nobody had rights and a tiny minority held all the power back then. Tensions were contained because everyone was a serf and a subject of a unreformed, corrupt church.

Remember the Armenian Genocide, the reasons why Greece became independence, the clusterfuck that the former Austria-Hungary empire was.

I think nationalism emerged for a reason. People wanted things like equality under the law, the right to participate in a fair economy, etc. That doesn't work when one race or ethnic group has more power than another. It doesn't work when you have illiberal religious and ethnic figures who want to maintain the feudal social structure.

I don't think a society like Malaysia, where you have rich Chinese people who inhabit their own bubble, and a bunch of poor Malays who seem to favor a theocracy, and a bunch of "others" like Indians who feel excluded, can work. This opposing forces, institutionalized and fixed in place, thus work like a motor animating all sorts of bullshit.

Multiculturalism really is fundamentally anti-individual. Tell me, how much do follow the religion your family raised you in? Do you really want to be defined by your identity? I don't know about you, but the thought that I need to "compete" on the basis of race or ethnicity makes me uncomfortable.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It doesn't work everywhere in the world, but one view of "settlers" that applies to most of the new world is they are the people who implanted organized society in a given place: schools, courts, police, governance, etc.
On the one hand we have colonizers who are indebted to indigenous inhabitants. On the other we have the "nation of immigrants" view of history that demands we avoid making distinctions between the old (colonial-era) inhabitants and the new ones.

I think the way to reconcile these views and the fact that people often seem to hold them simultaneously is to realize that they are not rational views based on historical facts but rather weapons to be chosen as needed. If you want a particular pro-immigration policy, we're a nation of immigrants so there's nothing to debate. If it's more germane to the specifics of the argument, our country's entire history can be recast as a story of colonial oppressors and there's no end to the concessions that can be demanded of our government.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Nationalism is a relatively recent phenomenon. In my opinion, it's a very unnatural and artificial notion---and can be a problem. Even Zionism started out as a secular nationalism movement in the 1800s. It wasn't until later that people started putting a religious angle on it.
Yeah, I get you. The "nationalism is a recent phenomenon" is the premise behind the "Imagined Communities" book by Benedict Anderson, which is one of the most popularly read books on nationalism that's often assigned reading material given to university students who major in political science or other social sciences.

I haven't read it fully myself or ever studied poli sci in school etc. but am familiar with and have heard some of the ideas he puts forth. For instance, emphasizing how "new" nationalism in some cases is, he actually argues that New World forms of nationalism like the American Revolution where colonists begin to form and rally around a "we're now a new people in determination of our own fates, not a part of an empire etc." attitude actually are newer than many forms of European nationalism and that the former actually was responsible for inspiring much of the latter. There's also stuff Anderson writes about how the rise of mass media, shared language, literacy, made it easier for people whose country-men and women are scattered all over a vast land to share an identity, plus share national symbols, myths, etc. compared to in the older days when identity was more local and someone in one village didn't really care as much or think too deeply as being part of the same "country" as the guy in the village ten miles away on the other side of the hills.

There are folks that disagree and argue that nationalism taps into things more primal and deeply rooted though.

Last edited by Capsicum; Sep 7, 2018 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:40 AM

A rather visible example of how "nationalism" and examples of nation-building that can be fairly new are found in Canadian identity itself and even some of the things that people bring up as "Canadian" on this forum.

Things like the current Canadian flag's design, official bilingualism, multiculturalism, even the idea of Canadians being more left wing than Americans (eg. single payer health care) etc. we take for granted and see as quintessentially Canadian are products of the 1960s and later, barely two generations old, but most people below a certain age of a certain generation (including me) just know it as the Canadian identity markers we've always known (and often use to distinguish ourselves from our neighbour and to an extent other countries).

Someone who's a 70 year old Canadian remembers a totally different Canada whose "nationalism" was much different.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:45 AM

"This is America. How dare you speak a language from another country. Speak American!"

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:52 AM

Mitt Romney and John Kerry were both attacked in a political ad for knowing and speaking French.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
"This is America. How dare you speak a language from another country. Speak American!"
I wonder if there are many times a dark-haired Native American has ever spoken a native language and been assumed to be an "immigrant" and then been told "to speak English or go back to where he/she came from".

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
OK, resources are finite, that's true, but it's not like people can't be bilingual or multilingual or there also aren't societies that promote more than one language, without having it too much at the expense of others.

I mean it's probably untenable to have say dozens of languages being strengthened in the public sphere competing for attention, but a Montreal-like scenario where people can speak English, French both (and sometimes a heritage language that's non-official) isn't that much of a stretch, even though in the case of the heritage language it often goes away after generations.
Wow, you managed to miss my point (even though you seem to have agreed with it...)

The public space is finite, therefore English in Montreal and French in Montreal are only progressing at the expense of each other whenever they do so. Montreal is actually a great example of how competing languages in the same physical space is a zero sum game. Pockets of California and Florida and Texas would be examples as well: every time a coffee is ordered in Spanish, it's a coffee that isn't ordered in English, and vice versa. Richmond/Markham would be good examples as well - the space occupied by unilingual Mandarin business is taken out of the space available to English speakers.

As I said: you can't "strengthen English in Miami while strengthening Spanish in Miami". The statement itself is a giant facepalm. It's crystal clear that if you want to do that, you have to pick one and boosting it will weaken the other. Or else just let things evolve naturally, which is okay too.

Last edited by lio45; Sep 7, 2018 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Still, we're writing comments to one another in English, the colonial tongue, and as far as I can see our (mostly American and Canadian) posters aren't replying to one another in non-English languages, so I guess assimilation still kind of won, in that regard!
Acajack and I sometimes switch to our native tongue when it becomes clear that whatever we happen to be discussing in the public thread has devolved into mainly being between the two of us (something that so far has happened maybe about once a year on average), but otherwise we always reply to each other in the other official language as a favor/courtesy to the other participants

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:34 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

One of the ways that Canadians are naive is that they tend to assume that it's much easier to learn a second language than it is. It is extremely difficult for an adult to approach the proficiency of a native speaker in a new language, even if they are forced to use it every day.
Tell me about it. I've been in China 11 years now and while my Chinese is more than passable, I'm certainly not nearly fluent even though I use Chinese on a daily basis for work and at home.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 5:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The public space is finite, therefore English in Montreal and French in Montreal are only progressing at the expense of each other whenever they do so. Montreal is actually a great example of how competing languages in the same physical space is a zero sum game.
A lot of North Americans live in a fantasy land when it comes to language. You hear people say they speak 4 languages because they took Spanish in high school then a couple German and Russian classes in university, etc. Or they will tell a story about a historical figure who "learned" Greek at age 5 then Latin at 6 and French at 7. This concept of language acquisition is completely detached from any reality of having to put these skills to the test and use them to communicate with other humans.

If you implicitly think about languages in this way then it seems like no big deal that your kid might need to learn Mandarin to participate in 100% of the job market instead of 30%. You just make sure little Johnny enrolls in Mandarin in grades 10-12 and then he can have a great career writing Chinese literature.

I guess it is a "fish don't know they're in water" type of deal. If you are used to operating in an all-English environment and have never experienced what it's like to be forced to use a language you are not proficient in, you might not think about it. This should be kind of obvious since there are lots of people in Canada who are intelligent and driven, moved to this country back in the 70's, and are still very obviously ESL.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:25 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure how this line of reasoning matters anyway. The real question is what we want our society to look like. Is it okay if we have a mix of languages in everyday use, including as languages of business, education, etc.? Is it okay if a second foreign language takes root and we have some areas where 10%, 30%, or 99% of people live day-to-day in that other language? Is it okay if we have large immigrant voting blocs with different cultural norms and political goals?

I don't have an answer but I think Canadians in general seem to be a bit naive and cavalier about this question, and we are being railroaded a bit by people who want to shut down the whole debate by labeling it racist.

It's easy to be cavalier about, as there doesn't really seem to be anything happening at the moment that isn't business as usual. As just about anyone from an immigrant background can attest to, the first generation is usually pretty firmly rooted in their home culture & language and will never fully integrate into Canada's; while the second generation will be comfortably bi-cultural, usually fluent in at least 2 languages and attuned to both cultures; then by the third generation they probably only speak the local language and are mostly culturally Canadian, aside from a few old cultural cues; and by the fourth they've pretty well become indistinguishable from a sixth or tenth or twentieth-generation Canadian of any other background.

That's basically how it's played out for our entire history. And the level of immigration has remained fairly proportional throughout.

As you mention, there are a lot of people who've been here for 50 years and still barely speak the local language... but their kids & grandkids have fully integrated into the Canadian mainstream - and generally represent the most economically productive segment of society.

Given our ongoing success with immigration then, it therefore makes sense that few people would question it. Though I certainly agree that the current propensity to immediately shout down any critiques of the system as 'racist' is troublesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions