HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 3:36 PM

I've always enjoyed Huntsville, but is that hulking courthouse still plopped in the middle of downtown ? I remember fantasizing about tearing it down, thus making the square a proper square, and then building a 200+ foot courthouse elsewhere in the CBD.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I've always enjoyed Huntsville, but is that hulking courthouse still plopped in the middle of downtown ? I remember fantasizing about tearing it down, thus making the square a proper square, and then building a 200+ foot courthouse elsewhere in the CBD.
Agree! That courthouse is an eyesore. Needs to be moved for the sake of downtown. But with finances the way they are, I don't see much chance of that happening. For what the jail cost, Madison County might have been able to build a nice, new courthouse and a functional jail.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 2:49 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah, the courthouse is an eyesore...

... huntsville just needs to build bigger and taller towers around it to make it disappear!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 7:28 PM

The economy is killing any real potential developments in downtown. I'm starting to think that Constellation will never get built and just be another disappointing pipe dream.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 10:36 PM

The potential for substantial cutbacks in defense spending will make any commercial investment prospects pause for the next few years.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 11:05 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
The potential for substantial cutbacks in defense spending will make any commercial investment prospects pause for the next few years.
I really don't see that happening. I do see defense cuts in our future, but I don't think it will have the impact on Huntsville as many people seem to think it will. Let's keep in mind that Huntsville's economy is based on more than just federal spending and defense presences. We're still building things, researching things, educating people, and manufacturing goods.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
I really don't see that happening. I do see defense cuts in our future, but I don't think it will have the impact on Huntsville as many people seem to think it will. Let's keep in mind that Huntsville's economy is based on more than just federal spending and defense presences. We're still building things, researching things, educating people, and manufacturing goods.
Yes but if NASA and Army are impacted by Federal Dollars, Huntsville falls into recession in a snap.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 3:40 PM

I am tired of the power going out every time the wind blows so I'm planning to meet with mayor Battle on the matter to discuss a proposed plan to place power lines in suburban neighborhoods underground. That way it will save future disasters where power outage is the problem with spoiled foods and no AC or heat. I know this will cost money and possibly raise taxes even, but it'll be worth it and pay off in the long run.

I'm also looking into doing a petition to get this done.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Agree. If any development is put on hold it'll be within the arsenal and some of Research Park. I don't see it effecting downtown development. One of the major needs in downtown (aside from a new baseball stadium) is a nice restaurant overlooking Big Spring and a movie theater. The city needs to tear down the Holiday Inn and either build a new high rise hotel or an office complex taller than 8 stories. The doctors complex next to it needs to go as well. Those are prime real estate for potential downtown development that would bring jobs and tourism.

Huntsville is gonna have to come up with new ways for development away from downtown more south Huntsville. I would love to see the city bring in a first class water park. As hot as it gets here during the months of May to early October it would be packed on a daily basis and bring in money to the local economy.

Bridgestreet is gonna have to find something that appeals to families. I have proposed a giant ferris wheel but the city won't back it. It would really impact the visitors and money spent out there.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 8:27 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
I am tired of the power going out every time the wind blows so I'm planning to meet with mayor Battle on the matter to discuss a proposed plan to place power lines in suburban neighborhoods underground. That way it will save future disasters where power outage is the problem with spoiled foods and no AC or heat. I know this will cost money and possibly raise taxes even, but it'll be worth it and pay off in the long run.

I'm also looking into doing a petition to get this done.
Don't most new subdivision have underground utilities. The problem is we had
a microburst with over 70 mph winds and well over 2000 lightning strikes in the area.Even if you did have underground lines the feeder lines aren't and they are victims as well.
Cheaper to buy a generator and thank the Huntsville Utilities and TVA for herculean job they have been doing. Think about adding 50 bucks to your current bill each month.
But go ahead and good luck.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 8:33 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Agree. If any development is put on hold it'll be within the arsenal and some of Research Park. I don't see it effecting downtown development. One of the major needs in downtown (aside from a new baseball stadium) is a nice restaurant overlooking Big Spring and a movie theater. The city needs to tear down the Holiday Inn and either build a new high rise hotel or an office complex taller than 8 stories. The doctors complex next to it needs to go as well. Those are prime real estate for potential downtown development that would bring jobs and tourism.

Huntsville is gonna have to come up with new ways for development away from downtown more south Huntsville. I would love to see the city bring in a first class water park. As hot as it gets here during the months of May to early October it would be packed on a daily basis and bring in money to the local economy.

Bridgestreet is gonna have to find something that appeals to families. I have proposed a giant ferris wheel but the city won't back it. It would really impact the visitors and money spent out there.
The Holiday Inn site will be redeveloped, Lincoln Mills has an exciting future
and they tried to get a restaurant and Big Spring Summit. The proposed Councill Court development will go a long way toward being a catalyst for other things. A major water park along I-565 (County Line Rd) might work.
If Rave would put an Imax downtown (Constellation) it would be a hit.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 11:47 PM

Hey guys, just found this forum and thought I should join it! You guys have some interesting posts for Huntsville, I look forward to see more of them coming!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 1:36 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Resident View Post
Hey guys, just found this forum and thought I should join it! You guys have some interesting posts for Huntsville, I look forward to see more of them coming!
Welcome and post often, any ideas, news, rumors, complaints or coming soon
are appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 6:59 PM

Downtown needs a permanent hotdog/hamburger joint that serves all type of themed hotdogs. Sitting here watching the Travel channel on best places for hot dogs.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
The Holiday Inn site will be redeveloped, Lincoln Mills has an exciting future
and they tried to get a restaurant and Big Spring Summit. The proposed Councill Court development will go a long way toward being a catalyst for other things. A major water park along I-565 (County Line Rd) might work.
If Rave would put an Imax downtown (Constellation) it would be a hit.
I agree about the Rave (or some movie chain) putting an Imax downtown would be a big hit.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:40 PM
America's Mars Rocket

I'm thinking Southwest will serve Huntsville, but ...

"Southwest, a low-fare carrier, has told some cities that it will not continue to serve them once the transition is completed, Barbie Peek, the airport's marketing director, told the Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority this morning.

But, she added, AirTran is continuing its policy of booking flights six months in advance at Huntsville's airport, Peek said.

"That's a good sign," she said.

Peek said after the meeting that she doesn't know when Southwest will inform Huntsville airport officials of its intentions here.

She said airport officials met with Southwest officials in March and June to provide the airline with information about the Huntsville market"
HSV Times

I think Southwest would have a route schedule that would be very profitable for them like several flights to the DC area. Couple to Nashville, maybe a couple to Dallas.

From AirTran/Southwest:
AirTran Airways will continue to operate at Asheville, Atlantic City, and Quad City airports through January 6, 2012, and at Newport News Williamsburg through March 9, 2012.
After those dates service will end.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking Southwest will serve Huntsville, but ...

"Southwest, a low-fare carrier, has told some cities that it will not continue to serve them once the transition is completed, Barbie Peek, the airport's marketing director, told the Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority this morning.

But, she added, AirTran is continuing its policy of booking flights six months in advance at Huntsville's airport, Peek said.

"That's a good sign," she said.

Peek said after the meeting that she doesn't know when Southwest will inform Huntsville airport officials of its intentions here.

She said airport officials met with Southwest officials in March and June to provide the airline with information about the Huntsville market"
HSV Times

I think Southwest would have a route schedule that would be very profitable for them like several flights to the DC area. Couple to Nashville, maybe a couple to Dallas.

From AirTran/Southwest:
AirTran Airways will continue to operate at Asheville, Atlantic City, and Quad City airports through January 6, 2012, and at Newport News Williamsburg through March 9, 2012.
After those dates service will end.
My guess is that WN may drop HSV-MCO, but I would not be surprised to see them add HSV-MDW, HSV-DAL, or HSV-HOU.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:38 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Constructiuon at Harris Hill..hotel maybe. Site work is underway.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 8:17 PM
America's Mars Rocket

no real surprises for this non descript asphalt center
The Shoppes of Madison, which will be anchored by Target, has now leased more than 88,000 square feet of retail businesses in the new shopping center being built on U.S. 72.

The signed tenants are Pie in the Sky, Fulin's Dollar Tree, Kinnucan's Outdoors, Great Clips, Rack Room, AT&T, Maurice's, Petco, Sunset Tanz, Tiffany Nail Spa, Which Wich, and Zen Berry.

Only thing missing is Mattress King, and Chinese or Mexican restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
no real surprises for this non descript asphalt center
The Shoppes of Madison, which will be anchored by Target, has now leased more than 88,000 square feet of retail businesses in the new shopping center being built on U.S. 72.

The signed tenants are Pie in the Sky, Fulin's Dollar Tree, Kinnucan's Outdoors, Great Clips, Rack Room, AT&T, Maurice's, Petco, Sunset Tanz, Tiffany Nail Spa, Which Wich, and Zen Berry.

Only thing missing is Mattress King, and Chinese or Mexican restaurant.
I'm looking forward to Which Wich. It's about time we got one of those.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast