HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 3:58 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Is that London Ontario or London United Kingdom? I assume Ontario since you don't seem too interested in mega cities outside China or Japan.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:03 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Is that London Ontario or London United Kingdom? I assume Ontario since you don't seem too interested in mega cities outside China or Japan.
England. It and Istanbul give me some European mega-cities.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:24 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
When you narrow it down to the top 20 you have to drop some very good contenders. Only NYC in the US, I'm afraid, and Canada (<0.5% of the world's population) doesn't get a seat at the table. Also, there isn't a single Sub-Saharan African city on this list because none of these really fascinate me in any non-academic or non-esoteric sense.
Interesting everyone has different goals. I'm going out of my way to see Johannesburg and Cape Town in the new year. I'm super excited about both for different reasons. This is above European cities - but again, for reasons.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:55 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Well I'd say my 20 "most want to visit" would look like this, in order from greatest to least.

Sydney
Tel Aviv
Tokyo
Tehran
Barcelona
Melbourne
Paris
Vancouver
Wellington
Valpariso
Vladivostok
Philadelphia
Wheeling
Portland ME
Lyon
Seoul
Tunis
Milan
Chicago
Maputo

A very difficult list for me because except for a few exceptions, my desire to travel is focused more on regions than on specific cities.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 4:57 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Interesting everyone has different goals. I'm going out of my way to see Johannesburg and Cape Town in the new year. I'm super excited about both for different reasons. This is above European cities - but again, for reasons.
Would you be able to expand on some of these "different reasons"? Or is it something top secret?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
How does London not also fit this criteria?
I was thinking the same! I believe London is definitely more touristy than Barcelona, as the latter only gets particularly crowded during the summer season.

Same goes for Instanbul. I've been there and loved it, but it's also a pretty much tourism focus city and it's hard to find the actual flair of the city out of the mosques and souvenir shops.

I miss an Italian city in the list too: Firenze, Rome, Milan, Venice, Turin... non of them qualify for this guy? :O

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 10:31 AM
video et taceo

Sultanahmet is very touristy but I really like Karakoy and Cihangir on the other side of the horn.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Well I'd say my 20 "most want to visit" would look like this, in order from greatest to least.

Sydney
Tel Aviv
Tokyo
Tehran
Barcelona
Melbourne
Paris
Vancouver
Wellington
Valpariso
Vladivostok
Philadelphia
Wheeling
Portland ME
Lyon
Seoul
Tunis
Milan
Chicago
Maputo

A very difficult list for me because except for a few exceptions, my desire to travel is focused more on regions than on specific cities.
Portland, Maine? Really? Why not throw on Galveston while you're at if you're gonna go that low?

I hope you mean the Oregon city it's named for.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 8:08 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Hey folks, no need to wonder when ThePun1 would crap on our forum again. Here it is!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 8:14 AM

In no order for the continents:

NA............Tor/Mon/QC/NYC/SF/Bos
LatinAm........Oax/MC/Bog/BA
Europe.......Lon/Ed/Par/Ber/Ams/Mad/Bar/Lis/Rome/Flor/Ven/Vien/Prag
Africa.........none
Asia..........Mum/Bang/Tok/HCMC/Kobe/Istan
Oceania.....Mel

I don't really like "outdoorsy/beach" kind of places. They can be nice but if I'm going to a city I want to enjoy a city........you can get beaches, mountains, and water anywhere but a cool and interesting urban vibe is what I look for in city travels and most beach places are lacking in that.

I find most stereotypical beach cities or ones that get by on their beautiful location as "dumb blondes"..............beautiful on the outside but nothing in the middle.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
In no order for the continents:

NA............Tor/Mon/QC/NYC/SF/Bos
LatinAm........Oax/MC/Bog/BA
Europe.......Lon/Ed/Par/Ber/Ams/Mad/Bar/Lis/Rome/Flor/Ven/Vien/Prag
Africa.........none
Asia..........Mum/Bang/Tok/HCMC/Kobe/Istan
Oceania.....Mel

I don't really like "outdoorsy/beach" kind of places. They can be nice but if I'm going to a city I want to enjoy a city........you can get beaches, mountains, and water anywhere but a cool and interesting urban vibe is what I look for in city travels and most beach places are lacking in that.

I find most stereotypical beach cities or ones that get by on their beautiful location as "dumb blondes"..............beautiful on the outside but nothing in the middle.
What are you still doing in White Rock of all places?

In terms of 'best cities', it depends on personal values and whether we're considering living in or visiting. However, taking both into consideration, overall, I'd say

North America -- New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Mexico City, Havana

South America -- Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires

Europe -- London, Edinburgh, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Rome, Barcelona, Stockholm, Budapest, Vienna, Moscow, St. Petersburg

Africa -- Cape Town, Johannesburg, Cairo, Marrakesh, Nairobi

Asia -- Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Manila, Mumbai, Kolkata, New Delhi, Tel Aviv, Istanbul

Oceania -- Sydney, Melbourne

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Hey folks, no need to wonder when ThePun1 would crap on our forum again. Here it is!
I admit, my post came off a little harsh but I was a little surprised to see Portland, Maine with all of the rest of those cities. It's like an association question of "which one of these doesn't belong." If he/she feels that way, then more power to him/her.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:40 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Toronto? world's 2nd greatest city? lol sorry, but not in a million years.
You're right, it's #1.

Both The Economist and Metropolis ranked Toronto as the #1 city in which to live: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08...n_7974270.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:43 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Portland, Maine? Really? Why not throw on Galveston while you're at if you're gonna go that low?

I hope you mean the Oregon city it's named for.
Portland, Maine is an awesome little city. What didn't you like?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You're right, it's #1.

Both The Economist and Metropolis ranked Toronto as the #1 city in which to live: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08...n_7974270.html
Don't you know you're poking a hornet's nest?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 6:09 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Don't you know you're poking a hornet's nest?
People who get incensed that so and so city is ranked #2 can waste their time arguing how it ain't so, but all that matters is that the people who live in their city no it's where they want to be. I know I chose well when choosing a world city to settle in. I don't need that decision validated by someone from another country.

In the meanwhile, I'll go get my popcorn.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Sydney
Tel Aviv
Tokyo
Tehran
Barcelona
Melbourne
Paris
Vancouver
Wellington
Valpariso
Vladivostok
Philadelphia
Wheeling
Portland ME
Lyon
Seoul
Tunis
Milan
Chicago
Maputo

Interesting.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Portland, Maine is an awesome little city. What didn't you like?
It just didn't seem to fit with the rest you have on the list. It's a nice little town, probably more peaceful and less of a headache than Houston.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 2:38 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
but I was a little surprised to see Portland, Maine with all of the rest of those cities.

Cities like Wheeling, Vladivostok, and Maputo?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 4:36 AM

Vladivostok is a city of hundreds of thousands and a regional hub in Siberia. Portland is sort of a regional hub but not very big in it's own right.

As I said, it's his list but it did surprise me. Wheeling slipped by me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions