HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 12:36 AM

New Airport Terminal...

$650 million Armstrong Airport project on schedule as it heads into construction phase

The design of New Orleans' $650 million airport terminal is nearly complete, clearing the city's construction manager to begin doling out lucrative building contracts, officials said Tuesday (June 30).

The final construction documents for the Louis Armstrong International Airport North Terminal should now be complete, triggering a 30-day period during which the construction manager will have to select its contractors and finalize the maximum price it will charge the New Orleans Aviation Board, said Chris Spann, who is managing the project for the body that oversees the airport...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...incart_gallery

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 1:12 AM
-

5030 Freret St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: 8GMHGY
Download (1)
Print Summary
Add to Watch List
progress
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Diane Hickman
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/29/2015 11:23:56 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct addition to existing restaurant as per plans.

150 Broadway St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: AFLQS0
Print Summary
Add to Watch List
progress
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Frank Lauricella
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/30/2015 8:47:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Dining Room Expansion - Ground Floor Lambeth House

614 Canal St·Encroachment on ROW · Project #15-1011 ·Ref Code: K7CF5X
Download (1)
Print Summary
Add to Watch List
progress
Type:
Encroachment on ROW
Applicant:
Sunstone Canal, LLC
Draft Application
Date Filed:
6/29/2015 4:43:12 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Applicant would like to replace an existing balcony.

Felicity Church renovations to a Banquet Facility

Revelator Coffee Co. Opens in Warehouse District

http://nola.eater.com/2015/6/30/8870...house-district

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 1, 2015 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:13 PM
life is good

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 5:18 PM
TL;DR

Well, this terminal just got more underwhelming. Where originally there was a graceful hotel tower, now we get a clunky rectangular parking garage with a weird little midrise plopped onto it.

A rectangle, in a project where there are no right angles. Ugh. Also forming the main vision of the terminal that visitors will see, another f'ing garage. Can't they put it further north or something and detach it from the terminal? Looks like about 1800 spaces there. Would have made too much sense to re-use the old parking garages and run shuttle buses.

At least the landscaping still seems to be pretty intense. Hopefully that doesn't get stripped too, the forested landscaping is another key part of the design.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM

A couple things that I would like to get yall's thoughts on. Not project specific, but still related to the development/future of New Orleans so I think this is an appropriate place to discuss.

First, if you haven't seen it, is a nola.com article discussing 9 possible future scenarios for New Orleans. Do you guys agree with any of these, or do you have your own alternative scenarios? I personally see Campanella's outlook. I have read a few of his books and he seems to be the most knowledgeable individual when it comes to the development of the city.
http://www.nola.com/futureofneworlea...futurists.html

Second: Lee Circle. Now, let me first say that I am NOT bringing this up to start a debate on whether it should/should not be changed, but simply to get your input on what should go there IF it were changed. Not looking for a political discussion... In terms of naming, going back to Tivoli Circle would be the only option that I would like to see. Would an official city "monument" to Katrina be too cheesy/gimmicky?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 7:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
A couple things that I would like to get yall's thoughts on. Not project specific, but still related to the development/future of New Orleans so I think this is an appropriate place to discuss.

First, if you haven't seen it, is a nola.com article discussing 9 possible future scenarios for New Orleans. Do you guys agree with any of these, or do you have your own alternative scenarios? I personally see Campanella's outlook. I have read a few of his books and he seems to be the most knowledgeable individual when it comes to the development of the city.

Second: Lee Circle. Now, let me first say that I am NOT bringing this up to start a debate on whether it should/should not be changed, but simply to get your input on what should go there IF it were changed. Not looking for a political discussion... In terms of naming, going back to Tivoli Circle would be the only option that I would like to see. Would an official city "monument" to Katrina be too cheesy/gimmicky?
I suspect New Orleans will continue on its path of gentrification. Obviously this city is already a basic island but it has been for its whole existence which is the main reason its developed such a distinct culture. Ive been hearing for 25 years about sea level rise. New Orleans was supposed to be under the water by now and I think half of California in the Pacific.

Lee Circle: Honestly, I have no clue what to say about it... but if the current person goes then I don't want him replaced with a statue of anyone else. This falls in line with street renaming too. I don't want to see it anymore. Also , a Katrina memorial would be cheesy in my mind. This city is more than that! Just my two cents!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 7:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, this terminal just got more underwhelming. Where originally there was a graceful hotel tower, now we get a clunky rectangular parking garage with a weird little midrise plopped onto it.

A rectangle, in a project where there are no right angles. Ugh. Also forming the main vision of the terminal that visitors will see, another f'ing garage. Can't they put it further north or something and detach it from the terminal? Looks like about 1800 spaces there. Would have made too much sense to re-use the old parking garages and run shuttle buses.

At least the landscaping still seems to be pretty intense. Hopefully that doesn't get stripped too, the forested landscaping is another key part of the design.

I wouldn't pay any attention to that Hotel tower to be honest. Its complete conjecture what it will look like because it had no funding or developer yet. They are just showing potential options.

3325 Tulane Ave·New Construction ·Ref Code: PVPQFL
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
DAVID L GLASGOW
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/1/2015 10:01:54 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a new 2189 s.f. convenience store and gas station building at an existing gas station. Demolish existing store and reconfigure parking lot as required.

1401 Foucher St, C309·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 2Y7N8G
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Nicole Nebelung
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/30/2015 3:07:30 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Remodel existing third floor office space into new Pharmacy.

Black Label Icehouse Brings Texas-Style Barbecue Uptown This Fall

http://nola.eater.com/2015/7/1/88797...town-this-fall

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 10:28 PM
TL;DR

Wow, I never thought I would see THAT building rehabbed into a hipster BBQ joint. The times, they are a-changin'...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 11:39 PM

[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's my age, 63, and the fact I don't live there anymore: I'm completely against changing Lee Circle (or renaming Robert E Lee Blvd, or Jeff Davis, etc.) It's part of the city's history. Covering over it does no one any good.

Having lived away from NO for years, I am so happy and proud of the what the city is doing. I'm not an architect, but I have always loved New Orleans buildings, and I have loved the city's progress.

I especially like the new designs which are forward thinking yet keep a historical perspective. I only wish I had the talent that some of you enjoy.

We don't need to be sidetracked and dragged down by some silly argument about a statue on a historic street.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 11:59 PM

Lee Circle

Not looking to start any debates on the matter either. It would be painful to watch them bulldoze anything from the 1890s, maybe just a change to the statue would be enough. I was we make the general wear a saints jersey and call it a day.

Isn't the monument on the National Registry? Is that adequate to prevent destruction?

I would hope they would go with Tivoli Circle if they did want to rename it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Would an official city "monument" to Katrina be too cheesy/gimmicky?
Anything besides a monument dedicated to the deceased victims would be tacky (to me), and there's already a large monument for them: https://goo.gl/maps/T9oTw

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 12:56 AM

Charity...

The future of Charity Hospital: HRI Properties envisions apartments, retail and medical

Charity Hospital could be the heart of a new neighborhood by catering to the growing medical industry nearby and the increasing number of people living downtown, according to a proposal that developers HRI Properties submitted to the state Wednesday (July 1)...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...y_hospita.html

Charity Hospital revival: Developers begin bids for New Orleans property

After a decade of uncertainty, long-abandoned Charity Hospital has attracted the interest of investors eager for a front-row seat to downtown New Orleans' budding economic boom.

Five teams of developers submitted offers Wednesday (July 1) to revamp the art deco-era landmark, possibly ranging from a public-private partnership to buying it outright from the state Department of Administration...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...l#incart_river

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
The future of Charity Hospital: HRI Properties envisions apartments, retail and medical
1. I'm curious to see the proposals, and if they are just planning to re-adapt the main building, or the entire complex of city blocks around the building that are owned by the state/former Charity and sitting abandoned. If it were up to me, I'd save the main Charity building and the tuberculosis hospital along Claiborne, and bulldoze and redevelop the rest of the land into office, retail, residential, greenspace - like a new South Market District.

2. The City was given the former VA campus, and except for the Art Deco nursing building, I'd bulldoze everything else, and add the land to the Charity proposal.

3. The City owns the underutilized block of land north of the Superdome on Poydras St. I'd bulldoze that and either build the new City Hall there, or add it to the Charity proposal, as well.

4. Then I would reconnect the street grid as much as possible from Poydras to Canal Street in these blocks.

EDIT: My first question has been answered:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ubmit-ideas-to

Quote:
The request for redevelopment ideas covered five properties. In addition to the 20-story, 999,750-square-foot Charity Hospital building at 1532 Tulane Ave., the request covered a 15,574-square-foot office building at 1508 Gravier St.; a 12,312-square-foot structure, last used as a maintenance shop, at 433-435 La Salle St.; the 15,665-square-foot former Delgado building, last used as a primary care facility, at 1545 Tulane Ave.; and the 22,651-square-foot Butterworth building, last used as office space for health care services, at 1541 Tulane.

Last edited by Blitzen; Jul 2, 2015 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:57 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:

New Orleans will have to eventually accept the fact of higher tides and more intense storm surges. There is no way around it. Yes, it will happen very slowly, but the infrastructure being constructed is not conducive for the city's long-term existence.

I LOVE New Orleans, but it will eventually be a case of whether the country deems it necessary to preserve the city. It is, without a doubt, the most unique city in the country.

It is a case of whether or not the country deems it necessary to preserve a city that is consistently sinking into the ground and sinking further below the Gulf. The Mississippi River is already undermining the structures that the Army Corps have built to prevent it from diverting to the Atchafalaya's path.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 3:57 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
1. I'm curious to see the proposals, and if they are just planning to re-adapt the main building, or the entire complex of city blocks around the building that are owned by the state/former Charity and sitting abandoned. If it were up to me, I'd save the main Charity building and the tuberculosis hospital along Claiborne, and bulldoze and redevelop the rest of the land into office, retail, residential, greenspace - like a new South Market District.

2. The City was given the former VA campus, and except for the Art Deco nursing building, I'd bulldoze everything else, and add the land to the Charity proposal.

3. The City owns the underutilized block of land north of the Superdome on Poydras St. I'd bulldoze that and either build the new City Hall there, or add it to the Charity proposal, as well.

4. Then I would reconnect the street grid as much as possible from Poydras to Canal Street in these blocks.

EDIT: My first question has been answered:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ubmit-ideas-to
This would be good for me and my house across the street.

Well a nice unexpected $6.8 billion should help the state out.

City to Celebrate Opening of Marigny Portion of Crescent Park

JULY 01, 2015
NEW ORLEANS – On Thursday, Mayor Mitch Landrieu, City and State officials and the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) will celebrate the opening of the Marigny portion of Crescent Park with a ribbon cutting of the Mandeville Crossing pedestrian bridge and elevators. The Mandeville Crossing is an elevated walkway crossing over the Mississippi River floodwall and active railroad lines and connects Elysian Fields Avenue to the Mandeville Shed and Ellipse.

Crescent Park is a 1.4 mile linear park that stretches from Elysian Fields Avenue in the Marigny to Mazant Street in Bywater and provides unparalleled views of the New Orleans skyline, Algiers, and Mississippi River. The park creates an environment for residents and visitors alike to interact and enjoy new vantage points of New Orleans and recreational space along the riverfront. The $31.2 million Crescent Park project was funded as part of the Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Long-Term Community Recovery Program of the State of Louisiana and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I was told that the original architect, Cesar Pelli, was fired from the project. I hope they do not value engineer the crap out of this project, but I think that may be what happens. From the original renderings, I have a difficult time believing they could build that for less than $600M.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
I was told that the original architect, Cesar Pelli, was fired from the project. I hope they do not value engineer the crap out of this project, but I think that may be what happens. From the original renderings, I have a difficult time believing they could build that for less than $600M.
It was always a joint venture between cesar pelli and someone else. I think what we saw in the second round of renderings is what you will see and it looks doable for that price.

Does anyone know if the actual bids for Charity are view able by the public yet?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:26 PM

NOPSI Building

I walked by the old NOPSI building on Baronne today and they were doing test piles. Looks like there will be some infill on that empty corner lot!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbydesign View Post
I walked by the old NOPSI building on Baronne today and they were doing test piles. Looks like there will be some infill on that empty corner lot!
I saw they were appealing to the Board of Building Standards and Appeals the ability to use the basement as office space. So something is definitely happening.

On a side note this is great news! More funds to pay the city right away and then properties put back in commerce.

Almost 80 Properties Sold in First Online Auction for Adjudicated Properties

JULY 02, 2015
Auction Process Raises Nearly $3.7 Million So Far; Next Auction Scheduled for Aug. 5

NEW ORLEANS – The first in a series of monthly auctions for adjudicated properties in New Orleans brought in more than $2.5 million after 318 people placed more than 8,000 bids to buy 79 properties in what City officials are calling a “resounding success.” In addition, more than 44 delinquent accounts of $1,170,326 were paid in full in the weeks leading up to the auction. Altogether, the adjudicated property auction process has so far brought in nearly $3.7 million for the City of New Orleans and is helping to revive economic activity and create a fairer tax system. The next auction will be held Aug. 5, 2015, where 190 properties are currently scheduled for sale.

http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...uction-update/

New Orpheum Website!!

http://orpheumnola.com/

Orpheum Theater makeover on track for Katrina anniversary debut in New Orleans

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/...siness_article

New Orleans considers new downtown homeless shelter

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._homeless.html

Indywood Cinema searching for new downtown site

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf...l#incart_river

Camp Bow Wow to Open Franchise Location in Mid-City

http://canalstreetbeat.com/camp-bow-...n-in-mid-city/

A look inside the new hotel, apartments at 225 Baronne

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...elated_stories

Some pics I took last night July 2nd.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 3, 2015 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 9:31 PM
NOLA Razorback

New Tower on Poydras

I don't post often but read this all the time. Thought y'all would find it interesting last week Dumez and Ripple, the two co-founders of Eskew Dumez and Ripple came by the bar I work at and said they were about to go propose a new 50 story tower that would be built on an empty lot on Poydras St, saying it'll be the tallest building in the city if completed. I tried to charm more details out of them but they said they're sworn to secrecy. Look forward to hearing more about the proposal!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations