HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 8:56 PM

St. Augustine, FL: The Oldest City in America

Just getting around to posting this now, I guess a snowy February day is a good time for a summery Floridian photo thread!

This is my first photo thread, pictures of my trip to the historic town of St. Augustine, Florida. For those who don't know, St. Augustine is the oldest continuously-occupied European establishment in the USA, having been founded in 1565 by the Spanish. It sits on the East Coast of Florida, about an hour south of Jacksonville.

The city was Spanish from founding to 1763, when Florida was ceded to Britain. The Treaty of Paris in 1783 gave the colonies their independence and gave Florida back to Spain. Florida, and thus St. Augustine, officially became part of the US in 1822. The city has a very European influence in its architecture and style, and gives off a very nice, laid-back vibe.

Henry Flagler played a major role in the city's development as a resort town, and the city played a pivotal part in the Civil Right Movement in the early 60s.

Now to the pictures:

To start, some pictures of the drive from Daytona to St. Augustine along famous State Rt. A1A:

The most famous NASCAR track in the country, Daytona International Speedway. Host of the Daytona 500. It's massive.

Downtown Daytona. Very touristy and kitschy, but I guess it serves its purpose considering the many tourists that the speedway draws. Not my style, however. I don't like the mega-hotel and condo towers dwarfing the beach.

Up the coast a bit is Flagler Beach. A popular beach town for locals, it still has the charm and look of a sleepy fishing village, which is what it started out as back in the 1920s. I've never stopped here, but it seems like a cool little town with some nice restaurants and a big fishing pier.

Here is one of the reasons I love Florida. North of Flagler Beach, A1A begins to push up right against the beach and ocean, and the view is absolutely spectacular. Once you get beyond Disney World and Universal (as fun as they are), beyond the tourist traps of Daytona and South Beach, Florida is an amazingly beautiful place.

Marineland is so close to St. Augustine it's advertised as actually being in St. Augustine. One of the state's first animal attractions, it operated as a general oceanarium from 1938 to 2004, and reopened in 2006 as a Swim-with-Dolphins attraction.

Next post we will enter St. Augustine!

Last edited by threeyoda; Feb 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:00 PM

Day 1 and 2 in St. Augustine

Here we go with Day 1 and 2 in St. Augustine

Day 1 was barely a half a day spent in the city, with the rest taken up by the flight and the drive up from Orlando

The St. Augustine Alligator Farm is one of the oldest continually operating attractions in Florida, having opened in 1893. It is a cool little zoo and park, with all 23 species of the crocodile/alligator family, along with birds, monkeys, and a Komodo Dragon. It's, like most things, a little expensive for what it offers, but I'd say it's worth a visit.

The Bridge of Lions connects St. Augustine with Anastasia Island and St. Augustine Beach. It opened in 1927, and was closed from 2006 to 2010 for a major reconstruction. It's a beautiful drawbridge built in the Spanish style found throughout St. Augustine.

Memorial Presbyterian Church was built in 1889 by Henry Flagler as a memorial to his daughter, who died from complications due to childbirth that same year.

The Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse museum sits on St. Augustine's main tourist area, St. George Street, which you'll see later. The schoolhouse was built sometime between 1702 and 1716.

Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest stone fort in the Continental US, with construction started in 1672. The fort was attacked just twice, both in the 1700s: by the British, and by the colonial government of Georgia. It has had various names under various countries: the original name under Spanish control, Fort St. Mark under British control, and Fort Marion under US Army control. In 1933 it was transferred to the National Park Service and its original name was reestablished.

St. Augustine is a foodie's heaven. Every street is teeming with restaurants of various cuisines. Many are completely outside of have large outdoor areas. They are all lovely at night in the summer, and almost always packed.

Across the bridge and back on the beach, many good seafood and beach bar restaurants can be found. I haven't found a bad one yet. Sunset Grille is a favorite of mine, and was our dinner spot on the first day.

And there ends the short Day 1. Onto Day 2!

A beautiful morning in Florida! The southern half of St. Augustine Beach contains many large oceanfront condo rental complexes, and we stayed in one of them. All are three or four stories or shorter due to local laws, which keeps the beach nice and open.

See what I mean with the beach being nice and open? I don't know, I think oceanfront towers like in Daytona and Miami make the beach feel boxed in and claustrophobic. You can also see part of the early afternoon thunderstorm that ruined our plans for an afternoon on the beach!

Here's the thunderstorm coming in off the ocean to mess up our day. Oh well, I do enjoy a nice Florida thunderstorm.

The interesting clouds made for some nice, foreboding pictures with the dune grass blowing in the growing breeze.

Here's a view of the various oceanfront condos looking north with the dunes and some crazy storm clouds.

After the storm, a setting sun and palm trees cast some cool shadows behind our condo.

With the day lost to a never-ending thunderstorm, we headed to a very cool restaurant for dinner.

But first, a picture of the post-thunderstorm sky!

The Conch House is a restaurant/lounge/marina/motel all-in-one with an overall Caribbean theme and spectacular - but expensive - food.

Another thunderstorm, lit by the sunset, threatened from across the marina and inlet, but luckily it passed to the north.

Even though the day was a washout, the sunset was just stunning, especially when viewed standing on a dock!

The amazing sunset led to some attempts at "artsy pictures".

The sky, though, was just jaw-dropping, and kept getting better as the sun set.

Back to the restaurant, you can see the multiple hut-type-things that they have out over the water to dine in. The St. Augustine Lighthouse, an active lighthouse built in 1874, can be seen over the marshes.

The moon that night wasn't too bad either. A great and delicious end to a rainy Day 2. I guess a rainy day on vacation in Florida is better than a rainy day in New Jersey!

Day 3 is up next, where we finally get to go into St. Augustine for a full day!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:06 PM

You came to Florida in August? Gross...

I kid. I really like St. Augustine outside of the main tourist spots. It's sleepy but lived in. I imagine retiring there someday.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:25 AM

Great photos of St. Augustine! St. Augustine is one of my favorite places to visit whenever I'm in Florida. Did you get a chance to explore the old fort (Castillo de San Marcos)?

BTW, if you want a very nice drive along the coast, try A1A north from St. Augustine to Jacksonville Beach. You pass by the mansions of South Ponte Vedra Beach, the scenery of the Guana Tolomato Matanzas Reserve, and Ponte Vedra Beach (and the TPC Sawgrass golf course, the site of the Players Championship).

Hobbes: "Pittsburgh?"

Calvin: "You mean if we're good or if we're bad?"

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:18 AM

Nice intense colors - ty

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:51 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very nice pictures and tour! Thanks for sharing.

I´ve liked what you´ve shown from St. Agustine in your pictures. It looks a very touristic place, a nice place to rest and to relax. A visit to Florida could not be the same without living a thunderstorm. Very good colours of the sky. Great job!

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:44 PM
She needs her space

Amazing how you were able to capture the place without almost a soul in sight! Every time I've been to St. Augie it's been way overcrowded with throngs of tourists Look forward to more pictures.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
You came to Florida in August? Gross...

I kid. I really like St. Augustine outside of the main tourist spots. It's sleepy but lived in. I imagine retiring there someday.
Haha, yes we've gone every year in August. It's a bit hot and humid but I don't mind. The city is really nice though, and has some really cool things off the beaten path. Thanks for looking at the pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd41280 View Post
Great photos of St. Augustine! St. Augustine is one of my favorite places to visit whenever I'm in Florida. Did you get a chance to explore the old fort (Castillo de San Marcos)?

BTW, if you want a very nice drive along the coast, try A1A north from St. Augustine to Jacksonville Beach. You pass by the mansions of South Ponte Vedra Beach, the scenery of the Guana Tolomato Matanzas Reserve, and Ponte Vedra Beach (and the TPC Sawgrass golf course, the site of the Players Championship).
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them! We did get a chance to visit the fort for the first time in years, those pictures are coming soon!

I have done the drive on A1A from St. Augustine to Jacksonville, but not recently, so I don't remember much. We usually fly into Orlando, but maybe next time we'll fly into Jacksonville and take that route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nice intense colors - ty
Thanks, and thanks for looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Very nice pictures and tour! Thanks for sharing.

I´ve liked what you´ve shown from St. Agustine in your pictures. It looks a very touristic place, a nice place to rest and to relax. A visit to Florida could not be the same without living a thunderstorm. Very good colours of the sky. Great job!

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Amazing how you were able to capture the place without almost a soul in sight! Every time I've been to St. Augie it's been way overcrowded with throngs of tourists Look forward to more pictures.
Yeah, I think the threat of thunderstorms every day scared many people away. It was pretty empty except for the last day, which was move-in day for Flagler College. Speaking of Flagler...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 11:53 PM

Day 3: Flagler College and more thunderstorms!

Our 3rd Day in included a tour of Flagler College and another thunderstorm that seemed to last forever.

Flagler College opened as the Ponce de Leon Hotel in 1888. It was one of three Flagler hotels in the city. His other hotels, the Alcazar, which is now City Hall and the Lightner Museum, and the Casa Monica, which was once the county courthouse and is now again a hotel, both stand within a block of the Ponce.

The building was the country's first poured-in-place concrete structure, and was one of the first to have electricity. In 1968, Flagler College opened in the former hotel. The campus now spans 15 buildings, all designed in the style of the Ponce, which remains the main building on campus.

On to the pictures!

This is the view immediately after crossing the Bridge of Lions, and what a great view it is! Plaza de la Constitucion, the main town square, sits adjacent to the bridge. In the plaza towards the center of the picture is the Old Market, where slaves were sold after getting of off ships. On the right is the Wachovia/Wells Fargo building and the Basilica, with the two towers of Flagler College at the end of the street.

The blue sky tricked us into thinking it would be a nice day.

The main cafeteria of the college is located in the former hotel's dining room. It is a giant room with a huge vaulted ceiling and big rotundas on either side featuring original Tiffany stained glass windows. The 79 windows are worth around $25 million each, and obviously are protected by thick glass both inside and outside. The dining room also features the original wood chairs and tables carved from Austrian wood for the hotel in 1888.

Not the greatest picture, but a look at the beautiful ceiling. I wouldn't mind eating in here once in a while!

However, the ceiling in the lobby is even more amazing!

The rest of the lobby is not too bad either. And what's even better is that the lobby is open to the public! The cafeteria, however, can only be seen on tours.
Supposedly, like many other things in St. Augustine, Flagler (well, just the Ponce) is haunted! It seemed like almost every student we talked to had a story to tell about a ghostly encounter!

Heading out of the lobby and into the front courtyard, the rapidly approaching storm can be seen. The trees and ferns and other tropical plants in the courtyard started to blow in the wind, and we began to head back to the car.

Outside of the courtyard along the street, Henry Flagler stands in front of the Flagler College arch. The black castle-like gate actually seemed like it still worked, as all the chains and pulleys were still there. Luckily, there's a door in the gate directly behind the statue of Flagler to let the public and students in and out!

The former hotel rooms on the upper floors operate as girl's dormitories, while the hotel spaces on the first floor operate as classrooms and support facilities. When the college opened, boys and girls were housed in the old hotel rooms, which had no air conditioning. That must've been fun in the humid Florida weather! Luckily, A/C was added soon after. 2013 was also the Ponce's 125th anniversary, as you can see.

The building is really beautiful, and the campus is a really nice one in a great location. The students here are really lucky, and seem like they know it.

Again not a great picture, but the Casa Monica can be seen straight ahead, with the Alcazar (City Hall/Lightner Museum) to the right across a plaza. I visited the Casa Monica last trip, and it is definitely 5-star (accommodations and price!), but a bit too old (smaller rooms, very small pool).

We then began to drive up to Vilano Beach. On the way, we took a short detour onto one of the coolest streets I've seen, Magnolia Avenue. Along the right is the Fountain of Youth, a big tourist trap & archeological dig. The wall surrounding it is notable for being made of coquina, a local construction material once quarried on Anastasia Island. It's a mix of broken up seashells and is easily moldable before hardening in the sun. Coquina is only used in construction at two places on earth: Northern Florida and Western Australia.

Vilano Beach is a small beach village to the northeast of St. Augustine, situated on the southern tip of the barrier island north of Anastasia Island. The village first came to existence as the oceanfront play area for the wealthy guests of Flagler's hotels. During the post-war boom of the 50s, many houses and motor motels sprung up. The closing of the drawbridge and the opening of the causeway in the 90s funneled drivers away from the main street and killed many of the motels and stores. The new Town Center streetscape, opened in 2010, is an attempt to revitalize the old downtown.

One of the last remaining (closed) motels along the main street. The street now ends at a pier, the last remaining portion of the former drawbridge, stretching over the intracoastal waterway.

From the top of the Causeway you can see the entire area. St. Augustine is in the center, with Anastasia Island and St. Augustine Beach to the left and the 208 ft tall stainless steel cross of the Nombre de Dios Mission to the right. The cross is the tallest in country, while the mission is the oldest mission and first Catholic church in the United States. A nice thunderstorm sits overhead too!

This is quite off the beaten path, in the middle of a Howard Johnson motel a little bit north of downtown St. Augustine, close to the causeway. But it is pretty cool. This tree, name "Old Senator", is over 600 years old, and stood here when Ponce de Leon discovered St. Augustine nearly 400 years ago.

After our quick driving tour, we went back to the condo. St. Augustine Beach was founded in 1959, and is mainly a resort community, containing many, many condo complexes and hotels along with a lot of newer housing development. However, with all the development, it still is pretty forested, and the beaches are awesome.

Back into town, this plaque marks the former location of an early five and dime store whose lunch counter was the location of a sit-in that sparked the local civil right movement. More St. Augustine's civil rights movement is coming soon!

This newly-opened British Pub on St. George Street is part of the recently renovated Colonial Quarter, a small but nice living history museum in the center of the town detailing life in Spanish, British, and early American St. Augustine. I've never been, but it's gotten pretty good reviews in it's new incarnation.

Here is St. George Street, the main tourist area of the town. It is usually pretty busy, but as you can see, the rain pushed many away. The street was closed to auto traffic in the 50s, and contains many cool and delicious restaurants, some cool stores, and the typical tourist stuff - a couple t shirt shops, an Old Time Photo. The various restaurants are definitely the reason to come to this street, and bar-hopping is very easy!

This would have made sense in the beginning of the photo thread, but I didn't get a good picture until the end of Day 3, so here it is. Apparently we went back and forth between the city and the condo on this day, I guess due to rain.

Back in the city, here's another view of the fort. We'll go up to it and inside later on.

A wall of palm tree trunks and a moat used to extend from the fort all the way to the intracoastal waterway to protect the city. These stone gates were the only way in and out of the city back then. The gates originally had a drawbridge, but that was later replaced with a permanent one. Part of the moat still remains just in front of the gates.

A better view of Flagler's Memorial Presbyterian Church. The church was built the same way as the Ponce, Alcazar, and Casa Monica (concrete poured-in-place with terra cotta detailing). I've never gone inside, but now I realize I probably should next time.

Heres a nice view of the back of Flagler College with Kenan Hall on the left. Kenan was the original staff quarters with the kitchen on the first floor. The art rooms now take up the kitchen space, with classrooms on the upper floors.

The city is very nice at night, with a cool breeze usually coming in off the ocean and live music from the many restaurants giving it a nice, calm feel. The city also offer two different ghost tram tours, one run by Old Town Trolley, and the other run by Ripley's. There are many different walking ghost tours, and I'd recommend those over the tram ones, as they are usually smaller and more intimate. There's even a Segway ghost tour, which is probably pretty fun! The Old Town Trolley ghost tours (left) have cool black bus-trolleys with purple LEDs underneath. The horse and buggys (right) that run all day also have LED lights at night.

Here's a close up of the Castillo de San Marcos at night. I love the way the yellow floodlights look on the coquina of the fort. Tomorrow we go inside!

Thank you all for looking and reading. The second to last day, Day 4, is coming soon!

Last edited by threeyoda; Feb 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 12:22 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Nice! Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:14 AM

Day 4: A storm-less day in the city!

Finally, after 3 days in St. Augustine, we got a clear day. This allowed for a day full of walking around the city!

For breakfast, we went to the #1 Place for Breakfast in St. Augustine (there was a plaque!): The Oasis Deck & Restaurant. Originally a small lunch counter, it is now a pretty big two story restaurant/diner/sports bar. And yes, their breakfast is amazing!

A wildlife shot: ducks, a crane, and a long-neck turtle (?)

Now in the city, this is a monument to Andrew Young, a civil rights activist who was arrested here, in Plaza de la Constitucion, while walking to a protest.

A view of Plaza de la Constitucion, showing the monument to the plaza's namesake, the Spanish Constitution of 1812, and the Gazebo that sits in the center of the plaza. The monument is most likely the only remaining monument to Spain's Constitution in the Western Hemisphere.

The Gazebo is used for music performances and other events, like speeches or readings.

The Wachovia/Wells Fargo Building was built in 1928 and was the city's first, and last, skyscraper. At 6 stories, it is the tallest building in the city, and its height convinced the city to pass a law limiting building height. It has always housed a bank, most recently Wells Fargo, until Wells Fargo moved across the plaza last year. A search for a new bank tenant is underway, and if none is found, a market space is in planning.

This new monument to the St. Augustine Foot Soldiers memorializes the civil right protesters in St. Augustine throughout the 1960s. The Old Slave Market sits next to (behind) the monument.

These are the steps where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was arrested on June 11, 1964. He was arrested on his way into the Monson Motor Lodge restaurant. Later, the motel would become famous for a group of protestors jumping into the lodge's white-only pool, causing the owner to pour what he claimed to be muriatic acid into the water. The motel was torn down in 2003 and a two-story Hilton was built in its place, but the steps remain.

A view of St. George Street looking north, with the city gates at the end of the street.

One of the coolest and most delicious little bakeries I've been to, the Spanish Bakery sits in a backyard behind a wall off St. George Street. They open at 6 or 7am and stay open until all the bread is sold. It's housed in a small former kitchen for the house it's behind, which is now a store for the Whetstone Chocolate factory in the northern part of the city. Sadly, it was closed for renovation when I went.

This was our restaurant for dinner that night: Saltwater Cowboys. It's at the end of a residential road and located in a building designed to look like an old fishing shack. The food was expensive and very good, and extremely Southern.

Well, just one more day left! Day 5 coming up soon!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:17 AM

The Last Day

Our last day in St. Augustine was a short day spent exploring Castillo de San Marcos.

A1A Beach Boulevard passes through the downtown of St. Augustine Beach, which is a strip of good beach restaurants and hotels. It ends, however, with a sharp curve through pristine untouched Floridian coastal scrub which is quite beautiful.

Onto the last day in St. Augustine!

Driving up A1A toward the Bridge of Lions, the Lighthouse stands at the end of the highway until it curves inland toward the city. On the right is the massive Anastasia State Park, which has beaches, camping, and the nice St. Augustine Amphitheater, which gets big-name touring acts.

This is a common picture of St. Augustine, taken from just after the peak of the Bridge of Lions. It would be nicer if it were sunny, but it still shows how nice the city looks.

Here's one of the two tram services that travel the city, Old Town Trolley. The trams are great ways to get aquantied with the city if it's your first trip, as they go to areas one may not usually visit, such as Lincolnville in the southern half of the city, which contains many old historic homes.

I thought this was cool, the building had the two intersecting streets it sat on tiled into the corner of the building.

Here's the other tram service, Ripley's Red Trains. Ripley's operates one of their Believe-It-Or-Not Odditoriums north of the fort, near the city gates. This one is special, however, for being the first Ripley's museum in the world, and also for being housed in a very old, and of course haunted, hotel building.

The Matanzas River separates St. Augustine from Anastasia Island and St. Augustine Beach. The Bridge of Lions is one of two bridges from St. Augustine to St. Augustine Beach, the other is a modern causeway south of the city.

Avenida Menendez runs along the bay from the fort to the Florida National Guard headquarters south of the Bridge of Lions. Various hotels, inns, and restaurants front the boulevard. The Hilton is the group of yellow buildings with the white wall on the left.

The seawall running along the Avenida was built in the mid 1800s, and runs from the bridge to the fort.

The fort sits directly facing the inlet in order to stop any unwanted ships from entering the intracoastal waterway.

The fort is made of coquina, which made it able to withstand cannon fire as the cannonballs would just sink into the soft stone, rather than break or shatter it.

Each corner of the fort has a lookout tower, with the tallest closest to the inlet.

The moat was filled with water until the 90s, when cracks in the fort forced the NPS to drain it in order to save the building. On of the cracks can be seen right at the corner closest to the camera, on the left side of the tower.

Each of these cutouts at the top originally held a cannon. Only the side facing the water has cannons nowadays, and two of them are fired multiple times a day during demonstrations. They can be heard from many parts of the city, and it's pretty cool.

Here' a close up of the coquina in the seawall. The fort is the largest all-coquina building in the world.

This is the tall tower that faces the inlet. Soldiers would stand in here and watch for signals from two other towers on the the barrier islands that ships were coming in. the Vilano Beach Causeway can be seen in the background.

The interior of the fort is a small courtyard ringed by the fort walls with heavily fortified rooms in the walls. From left to right the tall buildings you can see: Wells Fargo, the Basilica, Flagler College, Grace United Methodist Church, and Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church.

The large building at the center right is the St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum. It recently opened and is an interactive-style museum which has the only know real treasure chest ever found and one of three real skull & crossbone flags. It is owned by the same person who owns the Colonial Quarter, which sits right behind and to the left of it.

A replica of the palm tree trunk wall that protected the city runs from the fort to the city gates. The replica moat can be seen in front of it.

Here's some 130+ year old graffiti found in one of the old soldiers' quarters in the fort.

The whole area really is beautiful and peaceful. I wouldn't mind owning one of those houses across the river.

A view of the fort from a very cool restaurant, Mill Top. It's basically just a deck, half open/half covered, on top of an old Grist Mill on St. George Street. The tree provides a nice canopy from the sun.

One last trip down St. George Street!

It really is a nice walking/eating area and a great place to people watch once you get past the tourist shops.

Some final pictures on the way out:

The Casa Monica Hotel originally looked the same as Flagler since they are both poured concrete structures, but the Casa Monica was covered in stucco when the county courthouse moved in in the 60s.

Aviles Street is the oldest street in the city, and thus, the oldest in the country. It is a very narrow street, but contains a very lively art and restaurant scene. It was renovated a few years ago to fix the problem of too many cars and too many pedestrians. The fix was no on street parking, and instead more outdoor dining.

And we end close to where we started, with a view of the intracoastal waterway from A1A near Marineland on the way out of St. Augustine.

Thank you for looking at my pictures of St. Augustine! I hope you enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed taking and describing them!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Nice! Thanks!
Your welcome! And thank you! I'm glad you liked them!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 5:49 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very interesting and nice updates. I realize St. Agustine is a very important historic place. I see it has many colonial buildings.

That tree "Old Senator" is impressive, over 600 years old. We´re saying that it probably knew Ponce de Leon when he discovered St. Agustine, it´s something astonishing!

I´ve liked the fort too, and the old side or St. Agustine with many reminiscences of Spain and the colonial era.

Thanks once more for your explanations and pictures. I add St. Agustine as a touristic destination for the next time we visit Florida.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Very interesting and nice updates. I realize St. Agustine is a very important historic place. I see it has many colonial buildings.

That tree "Old Senator" is impressive, over 600 years old. We´re saying that it probably knew Ponce de Leon when he discovered St. Agustine, it´s something astonishing!

I´ve liked the fort too, and the old side or St. Agustine with many reminiscences of Spain and the colonial era.

Thanks once more for your explanations and pictures. I add St. Agustine as a touristic destination for the next time we visit Florida.

I'm happy you liked them! Thanks for looking!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 8:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

There's some amazing cuisine too in the area. If you ever visit, be sure to check out some of the Spanish restaurants in the area, along with the sunshine, and beaches.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:08 AM

Great shots. I'm 30 minutes from St. Augustine but only visit around once or twice a year. I need to make the trip more often.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:06 PM

Thank you for this fantastic representation of St. Augustine -- the neighborhoods surrounding the historic core also offer a lot of varied and interesting architectural buildings, especially Victorian and Florida vernacular style homes.

St. Augustine is one of two beautifully preserved colonial cities in Florida -- the other being Key West. No trip to Florida is complete without visiting these two cities.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post
Great shots. I'm 30 minutes from St. Augustine but only visit around once or twice a year. I need to make the trip more often.
I wish I was that close! We try to visit once a year from New Jersey, and we usually make it down for a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Thank you for this fantastic representation of St. Augustine -- the neighborhoods surrounding the historic core also offer a lot of varied and interesting architectural buildings, especially Victorian and Florida vernacular style homes.

St. Augustine is one of two beautifully preserved colonial cities in Florida -- the other being Key West. No trip to Florida is complete without visiting these two cities.
Those neighborhoods are very cool to visit, I love all the different buildings. Some of them are quite beautiful. I may have some pictures of those areas from a previous trip, I'll have to look.

Key West is definitely on the list for a future trip to Florida!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos